Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Truman Skin Flint and changes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Truman Skin Flint and changes

Okay a known fact I am old and getting older and what I am saying is what works for me and in no way telling you to do as I do, I am a tight wad... I started with 5' ultra light rods in 1977 and used them up until 2009, then I made two big changes, I went to the 10' rod and braid line in 10# , had always used stren yellow 6# mono and it sereved me well for over 30 years, and I started with my own tied jigs but by 1979 went to the 1 1/2" tube jigs, and still use them as well as 1/16 oz. lead heads.... however if I am slow trolling two rods I like a 1/8 oz on the bottom and a 1/16 on the top... and yes I still use the same brand tube jigs, and I still manage to catch quite a few nice fish on these...... In 2010 I did up grade to the motor guide 82# variable speed trolling motor, dam near bankrupt me..... and then the last up grade was the lowrance elite 4 with dsi and I do like it very much, again putting me in the poor house... but like it and finds me all the fish I need, since I am looking a lot more for a thump than anything to eat.......but don't get me wrong, very glad to see all the improvements in the crappie fishing industry, boats,finders,tackle,etc..... heck I even like the inflatable life jackets...glad to see that at the least the same old bait still working nearly 40 years later, how many bass baits have been on the market in the last 40 years? This is what happens when you can't get out and fish, and have time on your hands..... Sure wish I had video's of Ron and I learning to use them 10' rods the first year, they were to say at the least brow beatin' times..... just think if I don't get out soon, the next post will be even longer......
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

wow oss, that sounds a whole lot like me. I just went to 10 ft. poles around 3 years ago myself and now when i grab a short one to go dock fishing it sure feels funny. The 1 1/2 tube is still my favorite bait but I use 1/8 jig heads and I still use stren yellow 8# line.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to keep at least 6 of Cabela's 5' fish eagle II's on hand and them thing were getting up to $70 ea...... now I use the Ozark 10' in the ultra lite and rear seat and standand both and they never cost me more than $40, but I do buy a couple tips extra when I buy them, been lucky this year and only broke one tip and it wasn't the rods fault, some old fool done something stupid with the tip in cold weather....

Post Thanks / Like

Nice story Monte! I just started using 10' rods and braid myself. Now i grab a 7' bass rod and it feels tiny. Hope you get out soon. If not i am sure everyone will get a chuckle out of your next post.
    Life is a game................ Fishin is SERIOUS!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got several 12's 9 and 10 foot rods. I know they help with depth of the jig and keeping it in the stike zone and all that, but I just really like using my 6'6 rod. I don't have to swing 'em in the boat, or net every fish or worry about getting electrocuted when I take them out of the boat. I use them from time to time and keep them for rigging but if I have my way I'm throwing the o'l pee shooter.
    New goal 16" crappie by December 30

Post Thanks / Like

OSS,I'd have to say that you're just plain sensible. I remember the first time I fished out of your boat and you were using those 5' rods you were talking about. I think your post that day said that you picked up some guy out of a ditch and he came up carrying the longest rod you'd ever seen, or something like that. Bottom line is that you've changed some stuff - rod length, variable speed trolling motor, downscan - but have stayed with alot of what was working then and is still working now. Sounds like, in spite of being an old dog, you have picked up some new tricks. And you're still catching your fair share. Good job, Monty.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

We laughed about that 10' rod you brought all the way home, 6 months later we are using them, but them 5' work good on that cedar tree.......

Post Thanks / Like

Im surprised you didnt figure out a way to make 2 of those 5' rods into a 10' rod

Post Thanks / Like

I have learned how to make the 10' in to two 5' it is easy................

Post Thanks / Like

Oss, always enjoy reading your posts and this one is extra special for me. I started using the longer rods and braided line a few years ago and hardly use anything shorter than a 7 footer now. My fishing partners with their short rods cant reach what I can and they start crying foul so I always bring along some extra 10 footers for them. Like you said it is really fun to watch someone get use to them 10' rods, especially when they catch one and reel it up to the tip and then try to reach to take it off or they swing the fish in and miss the line with the other hand and the fish is left there swinging in the wind. I also wanted to thank you for putting things in perspective when it comes to what a guy really NEEDS to go out and have fun catching crappie. Yes new and improved can be good sometimes but its best for me to keep it simple also. I would love to hear more about how you utilize your lowrance elite 4 with down scan. I am thinking that is what you have in the bow with the transducer on TM?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast