Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with boat trailer tires!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Problem with boat trailer tires!

I'm having issues with boat tires. My boat is a year and a half old and I'm on the third set of tires (which have been covered by the manufacturer to this point). The last set has been on the boat for five months and have 2100 miles on them. The tire is made by Tredit tire co. H188ST 175/80D13. All sets have cracked on the sidewall and have had abnormal tire wear patterns. The tires are wearing on the inside and outside, the three center treadsare fine. I know this sounds like underinflation but it's not. The last set of tires are check every time I take it out 50 PSI cold. I weighed the boat and it's under the max load rating loaded with everything. I have also measured the axle from front to back and to the tongue. Nothing seems out, it's equal from side to side, and the toe isn't in or out.
    I'm looking to buy a set of radials for the boat, any recommendations? I had a set of Marathonson my last boat that seemed to do well. Recent reviews haven't been to good on them. Thank you for your time and input.
    As always be safe on the water.

Speck is online now MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not sure what is causing your unusual wear. I had a similar problem when my trailer was new. It was wearing tires on the inside really quickly. After the third set of tires, I took it to a buddy's shop who builds trailers. He informed me that most boat trailer's axles are too light. I had a half ton axle under my trailer. He told me to replace it with at least a 3/4 ton axle. I did and it fixed the wear problems!!! I hope this helps.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

one crazy suggestion. have you checked it with another your gauge?? Maybe the one you are using is defective.

as you said you have inside and outside wear. that comes from overloading or under inflation. toe issues will only wear inside our outside normally and it will do it to both tires equally.

lastly 2100 miles in 5 months less me to believe you are traveling long distances. do your tires have a speed rating? Maybe you spend a lot oftime on the highway exceeding the speed limit the tires are rated for and they are physically breaking down. from what I understand about tires it's the ability to sustain that speed rating for two hours. Not just a quick burst of speed.

Just something else to look into

Post Thanks / Like

sound like to me speck is on track here.. I'm thinking the trailer is boucing as your going down the HWY making tires wear like that.. Maybe get some one to follow you and see if its doing that

Post Thanks / Like

What is the brand of boat & trailer?
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

You mentioned the center tires are fine. This makes me think you have a 3 axle trailer. These types of axle sets will grind off the inside and outside of the 1st and 3rd axle tires when making short turns and a lot more when you jack-knife it when backing into a spot. Speck is right also about axle flex.

The problem with side cracks are a different issue I believe. But if you are wearing tires out that soon I think you should contact a trailer manufacturer about this problem.

Wishing you the best of luck resolving this.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a Karavan trailer with one axle and two tires. I meant there are five lines/sets of tread on the tire. The three in the middle are in good shape, the one on the outside edge and one on the inside edge are worn with a funny pattern. I have checked with two gauges, I didn't see a speed rating on the tires. I pull to Brason 4 to 6 times and to Truman lake from Lee's Summit about the same. Plan to do more this year. I did notice a little play in the bearings so I'm going to repack them. Thank you all for your reply.

Post Thanks / Like

How much is a little play?? wheel bearings would make perfect sense. what speeds.do you tow at?

somewhere said they are the company that makes thegoodyear marathon tires and they have a location in lenexa ks

their website does not have speed ratings.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a lot of play but some. The guy at the trailer place said theu could use tightened but didn't seem to think they where too bad as they were. When I pull around home I tow around 65-70. When I go to Branson and Truman 70-74 to Clinton, then 65-70 to Branson. Thank you again for your reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Papermouth View Post
    if the outside tread are wearing evenly and you have tread left in the center of the tire your tire is overloaded or under inflated. You said before tires were/are properly inflated so I would get a higher rated load tire for your trailer. Radials are better than bias tires and carry a heavier load for the same size tire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast