PDA

View Full Version : You Never Know WHAT You Might Catch When Crappie Fishing

Jerry Blake
07-21-2006, 03:27 PM
This morning we were crappie fishing with small shiners on #6 Light Wire Aberdeen Cricket hooks on 8-pound line on 10 and 11-foot jig poles when this brute decided two eat two of our minnows.

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/Shoemate'sbigun.JPG

It looked like we had two fish on when two of our floats went down one right after the other but when the couple managing those two poles "set the hook" and bowed their rods up we discovered we had the same fish on both poles. They kept their rods bowed up and we followed the monster around with the trolling motor until if finally wore down and they were able to bring it up to be netted. Even then it wasn't over because it would barely fit in the net and one of it's side fin spines got tangled in the net on the way in but I finally got it in the net and drug it on-board. I found both hooks just barely in the skin in the same corner of its mouth. It weighed 24-pounds, 13-ounces on my Berkley digital scales.

So, you just never know what you might catch while crappie fishing.

CrappieMagnet
07-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Holy moly....that's a biggen!Congrats to both of them.Bet that was an experience to say the least.:D

Never had one fish grab 2 lines that was ever boated.We've had muskies do it,but they snapped both lines off.

jfraley
07-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Shiners? What happen to the rosey reds?
Looks like fun, i bet they were both smiling.

Billbob
07-21-2006, 03:51 PM
how big

b_a_s_s_101
07-21-2006, 03:51 PM
we used to use minnows in trees and i caught a 5 lb cat...not near that big!!! wow.

Jerry Blake
07-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Shiners? What happen to the rosey reds?
Looks like fun, i bet they were both smiling.

Hey James:

We've been having trouble getting good Rosy Reds lately so we've been using "#4-shiners" - they're about 1.5 to 2-inches long.

Yep, they were happy. The husband is an EMT in Paris, TX and he's gonna take it to work and have a fish fry for his co-workers - said they'll eat anything! :) I filleted it out and probably got over 10-pounds of meat. I bled it out first and the fillets came out real nice and white.

Jerry Blake
07-21-2006, 04:21 PM
how big

Hey Ted:

OOOOPS - forgot to include that in my post. It was just under 25-pounds on my Berkley digital scale.

Jerry Blake
07-21-2006, 04:23 PM
we used to use minnows in trees and i caught a 5 lb cat...not near that big!!! wow.

We catch some catfish every now and then - had one over 13-pounds last week, which was the biggest until today.

skiptomylu
07-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Nice job landing that big boy!

Roberta
07-21-2006, 07:21 PM
That's going to be some strong tasting fish. That one would have gotten its picture taken, kissed and sent on its way.
Bet they had fun catching it, though. - Roberta

Jerry Blake
07-21-2006, 07:31 PM
That's going to be some strong tasting fish. That one would have gotten its picture taken, kissed and sent on its way.
Bet they had fun catching it, though. - Roberta

Hey Roberta:

I think it was Blue Cat and I'm told that out of our clear, clean, cool (at least down a ways) water they are actually quite delectable to eat although I've never tried one anywhere near that big. My clients are supposed to let me know how it cooks up.

I thought they would want to release it but they were sure they wanted it so it went under the knife. Catfish have quite a large following in the south and folks eat them a lot bigger than this one.

wrwest
07-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Sound like ya hadsome fun there. Nice cat, congrats

tim
07-21-2006, 08:31 PM
Actually blues are some of the finest fish to eat. We bleed them out and when butchered the meat is about as clean as crappie.

mudwitch
07-21-2006, 08:42 PM
"" about as clean as a crappie?""....A booger is still a booger! he he. That is a beautiful fish.

b_a_s_s_101
07-21-2006, 09:00 PM
i've heard channel cats are the best cats to eat...but we don't have blues in my local area that i know of. I think "best fish to eat" varies person to person. i like walley and crappie. YUMMY!!!

KCBH
07-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Do they have a state record for one fish on two poles?

Haha.

TexFisher
07-22-2006, 02:54 AM
I am not a cat fan, but if you bleed them out and filet them, they ain't bad. My parents who used to only eat Crappie eat blues and channels now because Dad knows how to clean em good. The trick is to bleed em before the cut.

roybuoy
07-22-2006, 06:15 AM
That was a nice one Jerry,bet they had fun with it.

SteveJ
07-22-2006, 06:38 AM
I think the flathead is the best eating of the cats myself, in fact in my part of the country, no walleye, it may be the best of the freshwater fish in MHO. As before, the trick is the cleaning. This is a pix of a 25 lb 2 oz flat I caught in Jan on that jig on his head. Took a while, using braid.

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL757/4885893/10083553/144330798.jpg

skiptomylu
07-22-2006, 06:55 AM
I agree with the guys liking the Flatheads to eat, they are the best. I do know people that bleed large Blue cats and put them on ice for a few days then eat them.

Also some people bleed them and then soak them in water with a little lemon juice just before the fish fry, I think. Some use Hot Sauce to soak them in over night before the fry.

However one of the most important things people agree on is you have to remove all the red meat, lateral line and the yellow fat if it's a channel cat you need to remove along the back.

Well that's my 2 cents!

unknown 5
07-22-2006, 03:08 PM
I catch channels almost daily on my crappie rigs. The biggest I have caught on my crappie rigs is 14 pounds but I have caught much bigger ones fishing for cats.
I enhanced the picture to where I could clearly see the anal fin, it is a blue.
You need to post this picture on www.catfish1.com

Jerry Blake
07-22-2006, 07:48 PM
I catch channels almost daily on my crappie rigs. The biggest I have caught on my crappie rigs is 14 pounds but I have caught much bigger ones fishing for cats.
I enhanced the picture to where I could clearly see the anal fin, it is a blue.
You need to post this picture on www.catfish1.com

Hey Dave:

I thought it was a Blue but I'm certainly no catfish expert. What is the identifying characteristic of the anal fin?

unknown 5
07-23-2006, 02:09 PM
If the anal fin is sort of straight sort of like a comb with lots of rays, it is a blue. If it is sort of oval fan shaped with less rays in it, it is a channel. There is a specific number of anal fin rays to each species but I can't remember off of the top of my head. Yours was definately a blue which has a lot more rays. You can look up better descriptions of the difference on www.catfish1.com.
Blues get much bigger than channels, I beleve the world record on rod and reel is over 125 pounds. A 20 pound channel is a big one.
To be honest, I often fish for crappie until I find out where they are and then I put out a cat line also. Channels and crappie are often in the same area for the same reason. Catching a big cat on light crappie rigs is a lot of fun. I am certainly not a purist when it comes to fishing and I will fish for what is biting. I am not bothered when a cat takes my crappie bait. I enjoy the action.
I think trollers will catch a lot of cats as well as crappie. I have caught cats just about everytime I have trolled for crappie. I actually think trolling may be a viable way to fish for channels and most likely, blue catfish.
Jerry, if you want the best catfish information on the web, The Brotherhood of Catfishermen site at www.catfish1.com is where it is at. I like catfishing as much as I like crappie fishing. As a guide, it seems like you would get some catmen clients. If you have big blues and channels in the lake you fish, there are folks that pay for a good catfish guide. Just take them to your favorite crappie hole. There is a big cat hanging around.

itallushrt
07-25-2006, 09:09 AM
Holy moly....that's a biggen!

That's a nice size catfish also! :eek:

itallushrt
07-25-2006, 09:12 AM
i've heard channel cats are the best cats to eat...but we don't have blues in my local area that i know of. I think "best fish to eat" varies person to person. i like walley and crappie. YUMMY!!!

Actually the best catfish to eat would be flathead hands down. Then blues then channels. The fish in that picture is a blue cat. Note the flat / straight lined anal fin. Channels have a "hump" shaped anal fin.

Eat 'em.

Bowfin
07-25-2006, 09:34 AM
How do you bleed the catfish?

I catch channels of a few pounds, toss 'em on ice overnight, and clean them the next day just because I hate cleaning live fish. They always taste fine to me, and I can't stand a fishy tasting fish. I do rinse them under running water and then soak the fillets in milk for a half hour before cooking.

I thought one way to tell a blue from a channel is the channels have spots and the blues don't?

Roberta
07-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Channel cats have a deeply forked tail and a rounded anal fin.They have spots when they're young, but usually lose them later. We catch a lot of channels around here and will keep them between 1 1/2 - 2 pounds. You gotta cut out the yellow flesh along the back or you'll know you missed it when you have it for dinner.

Blues are only in the big rivers like the Ohio and Great Miami around here. Some pay lakes also stock them. I've always heard theat they are good eating, but I don't think I've ever seen one in person.

Walleye/saugeye are my favorite for eating, but a well-prepared catfish filet is pretty tasty, too.- Roberta.

Jerry Blake
07-25-2006, 03:12 PM
How do you bleed the catfish?

I catch channels of a few pounds, toss 'em on ice overnight, and clean them the next day just because I hate cleaning live fish. They always taste fine to me, and I can't stand a fishy tasting fish. I do rinse them under running water and then soak the fillets in milk for a half hour before cooking.

I thought one way to tell a blue from a channel is the channels have spots and the blues don't?

Hey Bowfin:

I sent you a PM.