Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Simple Knot to Attach Braid to Mono or Flourocarbon Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for Simple Knot to Attach Braid to Mono or Flourocarbon Leader

I am spooling a few reels with braid to fish deep clear water with spoons and jigs and will need to use a leader. What is a simple knot to attach my leader to braid. Thanks

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Double uni works best for me, and Hank Parker likes it enough to say the same thing.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using an improved Albright. It works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

double uni

Post Thanks / Like

Knots are a pain in the ...... The major problem I have with knots is the time and fuss it takes to tie a leader onto the main line, I like braid as the main line and am fairly well convinced that a leader is necessary, at least for me... I use a knot that probably nobody else would be caught dead using, I tie a small loop knot in each line and put them through each other, surely isn't anything you would want to brag about but it is quick to tie and so far has held up for me... When I was younger I tied a blood knot but as I got older I decided wasting half an hour tying a fancy knot was just a pain in the tail so I quit.... The most I can lose if a 5 pound crappie so no big deal, I don't carry a net either, would rather lose the fish than fight with a pain in the tail net... I fish to please the fisherman and if I lose a fish, it has the potential to grow into a real bragging fish by the time I get to where I can tell somebody about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Double uni's are fine but if my hands are cold and wet it is hard for me to re-tie if I hang up and break off.
    What I do is tie a snap to the end of the braid using a palomar knot, tie a loop knot on the leader and stick it through the snap, then run the leader line back through the loop and pull it down. I usually have numerous leaders already made up with both single and double rigs so if I break off a leader I have another one back on in a matter of seconds and don't have to mess with knots when my hands are cold and or wet in the winter. It's easy and it works for me...
    -LP

2007 Skeeter ZX-20 Bay / Yamaha 150 VMax
    Lowrance HDS-8, 7, & 5 with LSS-1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HLLeonard View Post
    ... I use a knot that probably nobody else would be caught dead using, I tie a small loop knot in each line and put them through each other, surely isn't anything you would want to brag about but it is quick to tie and so far has held up for me...
    That's exactly what I do, and it works great. A loop-to-loop connection is very strong.

I tie a 6-8" section of mono or fluoro to the braid (with a double uni.) I put a loop in the end of the 6-8" section. I then take a 12-18" section of mono or fluoro, put a loop in the end and attach to the main line as you describe. That way, I only have to tie one double uni, and I can do it at home, long before I hit the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Double uni for me. Been using braid and leaders for over 10 years. I can tie it pretty damn quick.

Post Thanks / Like

Double uni.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Double uni works best for me, and Hank Parker likes it enough to say the same thing.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast