Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: gun barrel question

Post Thanks / Like

Default gun barrel question

my 7 year old has become gun crazy. i gave him my old 20 gauge single shot.(iam also building a gun locker in the hall closet with a lock) i will have to cut the stock off and put a pad on it. im not sure but i think the barrel is full choke. can you fire slugs from a full choke? ive never had a full choke before.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it a fixed or screw in choke?
    TOO MANY IDIOTS TO FEW BULLETS

Post Thanks / Like

If it a fixed Choke shoot away. If it a screw in then only shoot the older Foster type slugs. DO NOT SHOOT NEWER SABOT SLUGS. Also if its a screw in choke i would replace full choke with a Mod choke. You may also shoot Brenneke slugs thru chokes.

Post Thanks / Like

What are you doing? Answering your own questions?
    "i gave him my old 20 gauge single shot."
    "im not sure but i think the barrel is full choke."
    "ive never had a full choke before."
    Have you never broke this gun down to clean it? It's on the barrel.
    If it don't have that big screw head on the end of the barrel, it's a fixed chock.
    He may in his life time fire enough slugs through it to split the barrel.
    But heck, it will still shot.

Post Thanks / Like

The older foster slugs with the hollow backing will not spilt barrel. Once fired and under pressure they will shrink down some due to pressure and hollow backing. They do well in choke guns. But once again DO NOT SHOOT SABOT SLUGS. Shoot foster type slugs. Can buy from any gun shop just ask for them. If they do not know what your asking for leave as they have no clue or google foster style or type slugs and order online.

Post Thanks / Like

I said, "may in his life time" The more shooting he does the thinner the barrel will get. The chock will be somewhere between a full and modified. 10 to 20 K per year. My granddads single shot was paper thin at the barrel end the last time I saw it. I can cast 12 gauge foster slugs, don't have a 20 gauge mold, nor a press for shotshells.
    Did you get this gun new or almost new when it was yours?

Post Thanks / Like

it is a fixed choke. it does not have any indication of the choke size unless there is some code im not aware of. this gun is probably older than i am (40) but ive owned it for almost 30 years and it hasnt had 25 rounds fired in that time. im pretty sure now that it will be ok with slugs. i never used many slugs in my life and seem to remember that some barrels were not able to fire slugs. like i have always heard not to use steel shot with a full choke. but i dont have a full choke on any of my other shotguns so i forget. thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can. Get rifled slugs and shoot away. I pulled dads old 870 20 ga. wingmaster this year, a deer has never been killed with it, until this year.