Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fry daddies for plactic?

Depends on the season. but between Warrensburg Mo and south Louisiana is a good place to look
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fry daddies for plactic?

What y'all think about using electric friers for plastic? Plastic is very close to greese in terms of thickness and the good friers you can set the temp to 350 or whatever and it will maintain itself. Mmmm food for thought
    In our government-controlled schools we are taught that Lincoln was our greatest president because his war ended slavery and saved the Union. As usual, the other side of the story – the side that reflects poorly on the government – somehow gets lost. – Richard J. Maybury, The Abe Lincoln Hoax

Post Thanks / Like

Well I've used mine for boiling peanuts and steaming oysters when we were in our RV and did not have room for a bigger cooker, but I hope you using and old one cause I smell a potential disaster.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe all the Friars would be good just watch your temperature we have two Presto that we use often on for big batches most the time we do not use them but I would say a little fry daddy would work pretty not only that but for duel injection side-by-side would be maybe terrific we will have to look into that good ideal mo.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never tried them. BUT ive always heard they arent good for plastic because they dont keep the temp constant. THats why everyone uses presto pots instead. The problem with prestos is having to use so much plastic at once that you have to be making a huge run of one color... Which is why most small bait guys just revert to the ole mic!

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What about small metal container sitting in an electric skillet? I use one to fry in because of it's thermostat. I'm thinking maybe a tuna can sized container with a pinch in the side to act as a spout. Lower profile containers would be more consistent in maintaining a given temp. Just ran thru my head as I read this. Would also be able to heat more than one color and keep temps pretty close.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    What about small metal container sitting in an electric skillet? I use one to fry in because of it's thermostat. I'm thinking maybe a tuna can sized container with a pinch in the side to act as a spout. Lower profile containers would be more consistent in maintaining a given temp. Just ran thru my head as I read this. Would also be able to heat more than one color and keep temps pretty close.
    You might be on to something there. They do have metal measuring cups and since you are not using the microwave as a heat source it just might work. Be sure to use welding gloves to handle the cups so you don't burn yourself. Perhaps you could use a pyrex cup to melt the plastisol in the microwave then when it is finished, pour it into the metal cup to keep it at a constant temp while you inject another color.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I use an hotplate with a sauce pan...just gotta stir to distribute the heat. works very well. only problem is fumes....gotta open the garage door.
    "Kids who hunt and fish dont steal and deal"

2012 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2012 Buggs Bash Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I have a small hotplate on which I set a one quart saucepan filled part way up with sugar sand. Initially I wet the sand so I could push a pyrex i cup ramakin into it leaving about 1/2" of the glass above the sand for setting in and removing, but after using it the sand dries leaving a perfect socket for future use if I handle the cups carefully. I used cooking oil in the cup to find the temp I needed to keep the plastic at 335-340 degrees. I simply unplug the unit when I want to shut it down and leave the thermostat alone. Plug it in and its soon ready to go. I heat the plastic initially in the microwave, then set the cup in the depression left in the sand from the previous cup. When I am not using the hotplate/pan, I set an empty cup in the socket. If I muff it up I just start over with the damp sand.

The sand in the pan distributes the heat evenly and I don't see cold spots. I should note too that the indent for the cup does not go thru the sand entirely so the cup in on the pan's bottom. There is at least 1/2" of sand under the cup.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CTom View Post
    I have a small hotplate on which I set a one quart saucepan filled part way up with sugar sand. Initially I wet the sand so I could push a pyrex i cup ramakin into it leaving about 1/2" of the glass above the sand for setting in and removing, but after using it the sand dries leaving a perfect socket for future use if I handle the cups carefully. I used cooking oil in the cup to find the temp I needed to keep the plastic at 335-340 degrees. I simply unplug the unit when I want to shut it down and leave the thermostat alone. Plug it in and its soon ready to go. I heat the plastic initially in the microwave, then set the cup in the depression left in the sand from the previous cup. When I am not using the hotplate/pan, I set an empty cup in the socket. If I muff it up I just start over with the damp sand.

The sand in the pan distributes the heat evenly and I don't see cold spots. I should note too that the indent for the cup does not go thru the sand entirely so the cup in on the pan's bottom. There is at least 1/2" of sand under the cup.
    Nice ideas here. Thank you for sharing them.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a presto kettle that has temp control. Close to price of the fry daddy.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast