Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat pump problem

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Heat pump problem

A couple nights ago I noticed that the compressor outside was not kicking on. I didn't even sound like it was trying. Fortunately the aux strips in the air exchanger are working so we are not freezing to death. The next morning when I got up everything was working fine until now. Its doing it again. I had a bad starting capacitor a while back and a new one fixed that but at least that time I could tell it was trying to kick in. Could the cap be going again? Any suggestions? Its going to be hard to get a tech out here for a day or 2 due the holidays.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

BB, were you just looking out the window and noticed the condenser fan not running, or were you outside? Reason I ask is, during defrost, the condenser fan motor doesn't run, only the compressor in A/C cycle (not heat) to defrost the condenser coil, and back-up heat is brought on to compensate inside while defrost is occurring.

Also, not sure of your ambient temps, but sometimes they (installer) have added a thermistor added to prevent operation in extreme cold, since once they (Heat Pump) reach a balance point, they generate little heat while operating, so they're just prevented from operation, and heat is provided 100% from whatever back-up heat source you have. Once ambient temps rise, it allows it to operate again.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It has always worked regardless of how cold it gets around here. I am familiar with the defrost mode.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Try the main relay if it has one. Push down on the spring loaded block with a screwdriver and see if it kicks in.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

What Tracker says. If you have any kind of Analog or digital meter...this is not 100%...take the starting cap off. Place the leads of your meter across the terminals on the cap, if there is a spike in the meter and it slowly bleeds off, the cap is probably ok

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Probally another bad cap. Is the outdoor fan running? Outside chance its the contacter if its not running. If you have questions pm me UR number and I'll call you try to walk U through troubleshooting it...

Post Thanks / Like

I think ya'll hit it on the head. I went out to take the access panel off and as soon as I just touched the box it started working. Weird.. I found 1 slightly loose wire going to the contactor. Also the contacts look a little burn't. Its hard to tell without taking it clear out. Fortunately it uses a cheap one and I'll go ahead and replace it as soon as I can get one (when the stores open back up). Does that sound like I'm on the right track?

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you foundit..... MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good - I knew there was another name for a relay (contactor), just couldn't think of it at the moment. The contacts do get wore out. Glad you're good now. Merry Christmas to you and yours!
    Randy Andres

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well? As HVAC mechanic I'm dying to know now!
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast