Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spidder rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spidder rigging

I want to do some spider rigging, but have never done it before. I can see how it can be a pain in the arse the first few times and until a good technique is learned, then it looks to be a lot of fun. I think I've decided on most of my gear; the hitech rod holders, 12 foot outlaw crappie rods, and optix quantum reels. What should be used as far as type of line and pound, what weight of lead heads work the best? I read jiggin15's technique of using pretied leaders and seams like it would work well. How far below the swivel do you tie your first hook? What size of barrel and snap swivels work the best? If anybody has any ideas, tips, or hint they would like to pass on then feel free, pictures of your setup would also be appreciated. I know it's gonna be a learning process but with plenty of practice I'm sure I can learn. Thanks fellas

Post Thanks / Like

why put yourself through the torture.......... single pole or two pole for the thump..........thump thump and the thump.......
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olesilverside View Post
    why put yourself through the torture.......... Single pole or two pole for the thump..........thump thump and the thump.......
    x2

Post Thanks / Like

I use 30# power pro line on my reels. A # 5 snap swivel at the end of the line. Use the snap to secure the line to the rod when not in use. Rigs are made of 10 to 17 # mono line. A loop at both ends. One is for the snap and the other for the sinker. 2 or more hooks, jigheads, depending on lake and state regs. All are spaced 1 foot a part. I use bank sinkers. They can be changed out depending on depth and speed.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I use for leaders. I use 12 lb main line in Hi-Vis and 8 lb for the leaders. I tie a 3/8 oz weight on bottom and come up 6-8" to a hook then up a ft to another hook them up 6-8" to a barrel swivel. On my double jig rigs I use a 1/4 oz jig on bottom and then up a ft to a 1/8 oz jig then up 6-8" to a barrel swivel. So both rigs are 3/8 oz total weight and can be used at the same time. I wrap them around pipe insulation for storage and put in gallon ziplock bags. I tie a Palomar knot for all of these. If you have any more questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a bunch! Gives me a good starting point.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

They don't have to be perfect to catch fish. Grizzly Jig sells some double minnow rigs for a pretty good price. They are a little different than what I tie up but would work fine if you do not want to take the time to tie them up. I may start using them and just tie my double jig rigs.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried spider rigging for the first time this spring. It was super muddy and you couldn't find the fish single polling. Put out the spider rig gear and found them scattered out everywhere. Limitville baby. Your not making a mistake by adding rigging to your arsenal. It's a great way to find scattered fish if nothing else. No sense in spending all that money and not using every asset to catch fish.
    New goal 16" crappie by December 30

Post Thanks / Like

I've been rigging for the last two years, so I'm still a novice on this board! Danny is right though. You really should add rigging to your bag of tricks. It's worth the effort. Check out some old posts here on the MO page and the main forum. Tons of good info. Just start out with two rods max until you get comfortable with it. You WILL have some nasty tangles to deal with. Good luck.
    Even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then.......

Post Thanks / Like

Start off slow and then slow down some more. You will get the hang of it. If you can get out with some one with some experiance doing it that will really speed up your learning curve and save you lots of frustration. I was ready to through my stuff in the lake more than once the first year or so. But I had no one to help me out when I got started. I believe Richard Bowling was the only other person on Truman doing it back then and he started about two months before me after seeing its success in Florida at a Crappie Masters tournament. Use to get some crazy looks the first couple years while rigging. We have talked several times about doing a informal seminar at crappie camp. We may have to get that done this spring. I have several guys each spring that have me take them out and show them the ropes and have several trips already lined up for this upcoming spring. Everyone does it a little different and you have to take what you learn from different people, articles you read and videos you watch and put it all together to find what works for you. Lots of info out there on the web now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast