Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ladle I have never seen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ladle I have never seen

Friend give me a ladle to use to pour jigs with and it works great. Problem is I can't find one anywhere that I could eventually replace it with. It has a mouth on one end similar to an ice cream scoop and then the other end is a funnel with a pour spout. I have a lee production pot but am getting tired of emptying the pot to clean out the pour spout. With this ladle, I can scoop up lead, run it back into the pot several times. Each time getting some slag in the ladle and dumping it onto the slag pile each dip. This thing works great for cleaning up lead. I would love to buy a spare but don't know where they are.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Without looking for it, I think it's a Lyman ladle.

This is the fastest one I could find. My 2008 catalog shows it to be $19.95 plus shipping.
    Lyman Casting Dipper 2867790 on eBay!

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I like that casting dipper.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

That is as not exactly like the one I have but is close and that one will do just as good. If You are having to clean Your production pot out constantly, get one of those and just use it. You can clean lead quick with it. You have to fill your production pot up pretty full to use it but it is worth it to me. I went back and remelted some dirtier lead and cleaned it up with that style ladle. When My production pot bites the bullet, I will be getting the bigger pots to dip out of. Just got to practice a little to get the hang of it. poured 80 jigs the other day using it and only had to redo about 10 but half was my shaking hands, the other was that I was using over sized hooks in the mold.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Lyman isn't the only maker of this style of dipper. Most are out of business now. I read somewhere that you would fill with lead and sit it in a campfire. Cast as many musket balls as you could and refill it again. Back then you bought a musket, you got a mold, shaper (sizer) and dipper with it. Back then a factory may product 10 58 cal. muskets a day. 2 of them may have the same size bore.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bottom Pour Ladle

Suspect you are talking about a bottom pour ladle used by spincasters to keep from pouring slag or other floating debris into the funnel on the spincasting machine. They work really well.

Several sellers -- here's one from a good seller.

Spin Casting - Bottom Pour Ladles

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

crappiefarmer - if you're cleaning lead in a bottom pour you have to expect to clog up no way around it. Put on some heavy duty gloves, get a long piece of spinner making wire or an old bass jighead (cut the barb off and bend it into an L shape). Make sure to have a pot under the pour spout, run the wire down the rod inside the melting pot and out the pour spout. Pull it back and forth, pull it out - flux and start pouring again.

I've poured for hours and not clogged up, even cleaning lead. When I get done pouring for the day is when I clean my pot