Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts / Opinions Home built Spider rigging setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thoughts / Opinions Home built Spider rigging setup

I have been itching to have a try at some spider rigging, But the cost's on some of the setups were somewhat offputting. I did a bit of a mishmash of what I have seen of various peoples setup and here's my attempt.

total cost for parts and materials is less than 30$

I have the rod holders set so that they gently angle down towards the water ( want rod tips to be close to water)

Still need to trim the ends of the long bolts etc... will prob paint the wood with an exterior stain (grey)

Using floor flanges and galvanized pipe has left a exceptionally strong connection, with the nice option of removal by just twisting them off at the base.

I was also thinking of using the extendable style pole like this bream buster rod http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...133+4294951528

do these work well with a spider rigging setup?

Name:  DSCF4290.jpg
Views: 3616
Size:  68.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with that setup. Works all day long. See lots of those around here. Only thing I'd do is round off those sharp corners and dress the edges with sander. Extendable poles work well.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

That looks pretty good!

I only fish on days of the week that end with
    a "Y" ...and then, only if it's raining or not.

Post Thanks / Like

nice rig
    CRAPPIE fishing is not a sport, its a way of life!

Post Thanks / Like

If you make the the holes in the bottom of the PVC Couplings slots, and add wingnuts to the bottom they'll be adjustable (tilt) without requiring tools. I'd use a 3/8" bolt and large fender washers underneath.

I'd made a temporary one (non-adjustable other than outward angle by placing the butt in a different space) for my Kayak out of scraps I had on hand. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, and I'm a "function over fashion" type, and it's certainly better than nothing. Who cares as long as it works? If you leave a few bucks in your pocket, all the better.

Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Neon moon, that is awesome!! Prowler those oughta work fine, after ya fish with em a while you'll figure out what changes need to happen
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

This is exactly what i thought
    Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Nothing wrong with that setup. Works all day long. See lots of those around here. Only thing I'd do is round off those sharp corners and dress the edges with sander. Extendable poles work well.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Those look good Feesherman. I have seen some that were a little slimmer but didn't work any better. These were maybe 2 1/2"wide and had a hole about 1 1/2" in one end and a half hole, or cradle in the other end with a slot cut with a router for adjustment in the bottom. They are tough as nails. Lots of fish fall to them every year.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I could suggest is the rod holders themselves. When something bites the rod get pressure on the butt of the rod and makes the butt go upwards. I see that the back of your rod holders are open on top where the butt of the rod sits. Might want to make that a circle instead of open like you have it so when the rod goes down in the front the butt wont flip over and go into the water.

Its quite possible I am looking at them backwards too

Post Thanks / Like

I like. i was thinking of something similar. Seeing ur pics seeled the deal for me. Was thinking of angle iron on top. I like the wood better. Thanks for the pics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast