PDA

View Full Version : State forums for members only.

Pages : [1] 2

Slab
11-28-2012, 08:10 PM
It has been suggested that to read the state forums, you should have to be a member, and I'm seriously thinking of implementing that. PArt of the reason I'm entertaining it is members are beginning to hesitate to post fishing reports because they think the world is looking in. So I'll very likely make a change the first of the year as an experiment to see how it goes.

There will be no changes at all to all the other forums. Only the State Forums will be changed, and the only change that will be made is that you have to be signed on as a member to read or participate on them. I might try a few states at first when I roll it out. But it's something I'm seriously considering to at least experiment with after the first of the year. It may open things up for more information sharing here on the site knowing they are only sharing it with fellow members. Thoughts?

THE FOLLOWING IS AN UPDATE ON THIS TOPIC AS TO HOW I'M CURRENTLY THINKING ABOUT THIS:

I change nothing at all to the existing forums. It all stays working just the same way it works now.

I add an Members Only Forum (for states that request it), where detailed fishing reports can be posted out of view of non-members. All threads started there have to be approved by a moderator before members can see it. After approval, members can post to that thread without needing further approval.

These Members may have to be "Established" members with a certain number of posts. I'm not sure how many posts it should be.

So in essence, all I'm doing is adding to the site, not changing or taking anything away. This new forum will give "Established" members a spot to share detailed fishing information whereas they might not have shared it before for fear the general public would see it.

So again, it changes nothing, adds information for existing members, and encourages viewers/lurkers to join/participate. I'm thinking it's a win win scenario.

But remember, I'm not doing anything till after the first of the year anyway.

Cray
11-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Great idea, I know a couple of guys who won't join or participate but check it everyday for the fishing reports.

Ragfly Jig Man
11-28-2012, 08:36 PM
I think its great idea Ed. Go for it.

Rees Guide
11-28-2012, 08:38 PM
I like..

jaxsprat
11-28-2012, 08:40 PM
i think its great idea ed. Go for it.

x2

G.Gordon
11-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Do it.

jeepguyjames
11-28-2012, 08:45 PM
do it

brimbumm
11-28-2012, 08:45 PM
great idea do nc.

monkscrappie
11-28-2012, 08:46 PM
I am not sure members want to info!

Monk

STUMP HUNTER
11-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Best idea I have heard. I know a good many that has stopped posting reports. I wish there was a way if you wasn't a active menber you couldn't read the state boards.

NeonMoon
11-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. Might even set a minimum post count before viewing is allowed also, otherwise someone will just register to read them anyway, and never post. Sometimes a few posts gets some talk going and opens them up to participate more than they initally thought.

crappielimits
11-28-2012, 09:02 PM
I agree the site is being used and not contributed to by alot of people. I have stopped posting reports or pics because of the 200 views and 5 posts. I talk to alot of people on the lake that say the saw the reports on this site, but when I ask there name on the site they say they aren't members. This is frustrating!

Shellback
11-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Whatever, but I don't see the need for it. If ya don't wanna share your fishing report, don't post it on the net! If you don't want to share the particulars in your report, just ask folks to PM you for any info you would care to share. There's quite a few folks on crappie.com who like to help others and ask nothing in return.
I think it's pretty simple, if you don't want to share or help others, don't post. Lot's of folks just read the forums to enjoy other folks success, not to steal their fishing spots.

Woodworker42
11-28-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm not in favor of this idea. Seems like a way of trying to create an elite class. I thought the idea of this forum was to share information, so why not share with everyone. Just because you are not a member is no reason to withhold information. Just my 2 cents worth. :)

"G"
11-28-2012, 09:13 PM
great idea

Cane Pole
11-28-2012, 09:16 PM
neutral.

MEATGETTER
11-28-2012, 09:21 PM
i am in !!!!!!!!!

South65
11-28-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm also in. The reports are better here in ms because the keepers are being caught. Back during the summer everyone was tite lipped due to lack of keepers. No tellin how many times I've been to a local lake or somewhere else and someone calls me out and when I ask their name they say they haven't joined because they don't post they lurk. Great idea Ed. Keep em coming.

2003 Xpress X17
MinnKota V2 Powerdrive
Humminbird 998c
Cumberland Crappie Racks
BnM PSTs

jigflinger
11-28-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm all for sharing info with other folks. I'm NOT in favor of sharing with folks that don't want to participate and share in return. Go for it, Ed.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Big H trucking
11-28-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm all for sharing info with other folks. I'm NOT in favor of sharing with folks that don't want to participate and share in return. Go for it, Ed.

Amen

deathb4disco
11-28-2012, 09:36 PM
If ya don't wanna share your fishing report, don't post it on the net! If you don't want to share the particulars in your report, just ask folks to PM you for any info you would care to share.

I agree. The World Wide Web is not the place to be if secrecy is your goal. Also, I don't see how requiring membership really changes anything. If lurkers are only interested in reading fishing reports, they'll spend two minutes registering and then go back to reading fishing reports.

Might even set a minimum post count before viewing is allowed also ...

This is a good idea, but it's easy to get around. Let's say the "minimum post count" is twenty. After registering, all a lurker has to do is go to the "Newbie" forum and post "Welcome" twenty different times.

Rees Guide
11-28-2012, 09:52 PM

Post of the thread. Dare say that the MS board catches as many views through the day by non-members as it does members, some days way more non-members. Share and share alike only woks if both are sharing.

hunter7711
11-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Do it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

skiptomylu
11-28-2012, 10:00 PM
I think that is a great idea and my reason is not personal, but have been told some refrain from posting just because of the peope that don't post and just lurking seem to pick up information from the guys posting and then when our guys go fishing they find a bunch of boats where they had talked about.

So at least the non-members can't lurk for guys fishing spots and ruin it for the guy that found it in the first place and keeping the state boards for members may help. Besides if someone was full access they should join as a member.

Slab
11-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Wow, seems I hit a nerve. Great feedback. Keep it coming. I appreciate all your responses both ways, for or against.

ageless
11-28-2012, 10:19 PM
If they arent willing to voluntarily join the site do we really want to force them by hiding info? I wouldnt think we would want/need folks like that

lhumphre
11-28-2012, 10:29 PM
IN my opinion just becoming a member is too easy. I bet u get a rush of people just becoming members but still not posting anything. It is easy to become a member just so you can read boards. If you had the capabilities I would add an extra step. ie, one post a month required or account is suspended relating back to ip address, 0 posts after 6 months and account is suspended back to ip address. I know this is a concern of a lot of people, and A LOT of us just PM each other now. Not that we dont want to post public info, but often times it is funny to see the fishing pressure on certain lakes and even certain areas of a lake when bite gets hot and it is mentioned on c.com.

RetiredRR
11-28-2012, 10:44 PM
I enjoy reading posts and viewing pictures of fishing reports from all over the United States of America. I fish Texas and Arkansas only, but if I visited one of the
other states, I would like to know which lake to go kayak fishing on...........rather than hunting and pecking for a good place to fish. Guess I could PM one
of the members and see if they would volunteer any info to a visitor from another state. I can understand the issues some fishermen have with gawkers, but
I guess it's one of the prices members pay when they share pics and info. I could say I was neutral, but......would I be? To be or not to be............confused.
That is my question. I'll observe and see how it comes out in the wash.

Big H trucking
11-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Bet the main rush of new members is SPRING TIME. All they want is to know were they qre biteing. Bet we have 20-40 members right now with less then 20post and some being members for along while. Check in at spring time and thats it

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
11-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Whatever, but I don't see the need for it. If ya don't wanna share your fishing report, don't post it on the net! If you don't want to share the particulars in your report, just ask folks to PM you for any info you would care to share. There's quite a few folks on crappie.com who like to help others and ask nothing in return.
I think it's pretty simple, if you don't want to share or help others, don't post. Lot's of folks just read the forums to enjoy other folks success, not to steal their fishing spots.

I'am with Shellback on this. If you really want to get the site to grow. This does not make much sense to me..When I first joined the site. I was all about sharing information. Not so much anymore. PM's are great. I don't post much anymore but, still enjoy reading the post of members that have been around since this site was created. It has really changed a lot and, I'm not always sure for the better.My hat it still off to you Ed Moes. You have created somthing special. I'm sure either way it's going to continue to be a great site.

Daily fishin
11-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Hello guys,

I come here to try to find out how to fish. I do read a lot of what/how you guys do it. So far the best I can do is 2 fish in an outing. No matter, its good to get out. My point is, I would be considered a lurker as I don't have anything to contribute as far as fishing, locations, technique etc. I can see the sides of the discussion as some of you guys really want to share info but are cautious because there are some that abuse the information without contributing themself.

I think having the State forums restricted to registered members is not a bad idea. If someone wants to put something out for general consumption it can also be put in the main forum. As a non contributor at least I can thank someone for the information they have posted if it helps. Just common curtesy.

Give it a shot, see what happens.

Daily fishin

rdhammah
11-29-2012, 02:01 AM
don't waste your time on MA. there has been no activity since before 10/26 when i made my 1st of 3 posts there

rdhammah
11-29-2012, 02:05 AM
hey, daily fishin. a contribution can be in the form of a question as well. the question will generate a variety of answers. there is a;lways some out there who has the same question who is afraid to ask and is thankful that you did ask.

Mikie
11-29-2012, 02:29 AM
I like the idea like one guy said 300 views and no comments. Besides for howtos; need help;and can someone explain this to me the other forums are great and I have learned much thanks for the site Slab.

short grub
11-29-2012, 04:28 AM
I like it

ScottV
11-29-2012, 05:38 AM
Good idea Ed.

chevy55
11-29-2012, 05:48 AM
Please start with South Carolina

jimp
11-29-2012, 06:35 AM
some good reasons for doing it and not doing it. What about a seperate forum or sub-forums JUST for fishing reports that is member only access based on activity (recent and ongoing) rather than just xx posts. Easier to do or harder for you Ed?? This might keep the lurking and spot stealing down or control some.

Splitshot82
11-29-2012, 06:42 AM
Go for it. Still not sure I'll ever post reports like I did at one time though.

Locator79
11-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Best idea ever

olesilverside
11-29-2012, 07:20 AM
I would have to stay netural on this one, first off a lot of members join to help others and if that is your goal go for it, I started out that way, but found out real soon, I never post what area of the lake I am in, a lot of locals and members know where it is and that is okay, but to put it out there to be robbed of your spot is insane and then you set around and whine about someone being on your spot..... Photos I take are never in the area where I catch them, heck we go 2 or 3 miles sometimes for photos, but fun to hear some say I know where that is..... I will only give depth, color of jigs and if we had a decent trip or not. Don't think you will get the lurkers to quit so why fight it, just don't help them that much with a detailed report, if you like doing it, that is your right, but don't blame others that don't want to share that much info.. Truman lake here in Mo gets a lot of crappie fishing pressure all year long so giving out too much info would be like shooting yourself in the foot.......

GoneCrappieFishing
11-29-2012, 07:23 AM
I like the concept/idea but I dont think it's good for crappie.com. There are tons of folks who love reading, even members, who dont ever post but get on the site daily. Some will just quit coming to crappie.com and others will register but never say a word or post even after the change. I do understand the concept or reason for it, but I'm afraid it would do the site more harm than good. State forums are a great draw for local guys to see whats happening on crappie.com, as well as a great place for local crappie clubs to get word out that there is a club in the area. I've told countless guys about crappie.com and that our club has a forum there and we post information etc. If they arrive, and have never been on the site, and have to register to see State forums, they may just say forget it, and walk away before getting hooked on crappie.com first, like I did.

jackie53
11-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Thanks Slab for Crappie.com I joined because I was a bass fishermen wannabe crappie fishermen.I joined because I could get on the Arkansas site and Read Nimrods,Meatgetter,Creekslicks,crappiepro,slabband et,billyE( I know I left some one out) posts and apply their ideas and tech to my home lake not all worked but pointed me in the right direction.Went to my first crappie camp on Nimrod learned more their than reading post because the folks were teaching us their fishing tech,jigging,spiderrigging,jigtying,how to build a brush pile.I would never have learned this or became a member if I had'nt stopped on the web site to lurk or read the post. Thanks SLAB you have changed not only the way I fish but others that fish with me. Great web site looking forward to meeting you again and looking forward to spring crappie camp on Dardanelle and learning more.We can also look at other posts or states around us and tell how the bite is going!!!! "GREAT SITE CRAPPIE.COM!!!!!!!

yankee doodler
11-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Yeah there's pros and cons to both sides of the discussion for sure. I think that if registering to view some info is too much trouble, then you prolly shouldn't see it anyway...man I'm starting to sound like some guy on the MS board now. :Doh:

HillBilly
11-29-2012, 08:25 AM
They have been some good ideas and opinions posted on this topic,I think that possibly most of the lurkers are just curious or just like to see whats going on without really being interested in crappie fishing or posting,Crappie.com is a great site and full of information for people like myself to learn and improve their fishing skills,But like everything in the world thats free you will have the freeloaders that want others to do the work and them reap some of the benifits,Thats how the world is,Maybe changes in the site would help,maybe not,but I am sure that most of the guys that post information here would not like to see their pm boxes full all the time and spend several hours just answering the questions for the lurkers because they would be there also,I try to get people to join c.c and have gotten several to join,But as far as the lurkers,they will always be there.like a flock of buzzards waiting for something to die so they can get an easy meal,,Just my thoughts

deathb4disco
11-29-2012, 08:53 AM
... becoming a member is too easy. I bet u get a rush of people just becoming members but still not posting anything.

... others will register but never say a word or post even after the change.

Exactly.

As I said before, I don't see how requiring membership changes anything. I am a registered member on several other boards. On most of them, I don't post and never will.

Speckanator
11-29-2012, 09:04 AM
IT'S FREE, so everyone should join!! Thanks Ed!!

Phantom309
11-29-2012, 09:17 AM
I'll tell ya .........................
This is what gets me ...>
I got a PM the other day, from a new fellow (never seen him on the forum before), I think he had 4 posts.
He asked me about a lot of stuff = I took quite some time to answer and give him lots of info. = never heard from the fellow again ! !
Never seen any posts from him either = that irks me ! ! ! (at least a Tx's would be nice) .................................
Naw, I vote to be a registered member and have at least 10-20 posts before being able to read the State forums..............
And, I'd like to see the ability for certain forum members to set up their own "private" rooms for them only = by invitation only .....
and nobody could read except those who are within the circle, etc.........
And, that/those rooms would not be printed out on the forum header as to be existing ...............................................
They would be "private", unknown to the rest of the world (cept for moderators).......................

TnT
11-29-2012, 09:25 AM
It is unreal how many people I have encountered over the past 3-4 years that have recognized me or my boat and made remarks to me at more than 3 different lakes I fish at. Then when I ask them who they are, they say they just read the posts but they aren't a member...When I was driving cross country this past summer I met a guy in Mississippi and as we talked, he knew exactly who I was when we got on the subject of crappie fishing and Crappie.com. He had been following the progress I was making on my Project Boat...But he wasn't a member and didn't have any intentions on joining... I think it is a good idea but I only see 1 problem. They register as a member so they can see the posts...But they still don't post or share info so we are back to Square 1...I think the membership numbers would definitely go up but a lurker will always be a lurker....Just my :twocents

Billbob
11-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Great

TnT
11-29-2012, 09:27 AM
And, I'd like to see the ability for certain forum members to set up their own "private" rooms for them only = by invitation only .....
And, that/those rooms would not be printed out on the forum header as to be existing ...............................................
They would be "private", unknown to the rest of the world (cept for moderators).......................

Now that is an idea!!!!!!

crappiefarmer
11-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Password protected state forums along with normal state forums.

500 posts earns You the right to the passwords. This would weed out lazy lurkers, allow bonding time between new members and veteran members, and give the new members something to look forward to. There will still be plenty of avenues for free info to help newbies but this will give veteran members the discretion to help newbies if they want to through PM until Newbies have proven to be contributing members for the long haul.

The password would cover all state boards and be changed once a month by Slab. Then the Moderators could distribute the password to members through PM.

This is just a though/recommendation for debate.CF

Countryboy N.C.
11-29-2012, 09:51 AM
It dont really matter to me, either way. I dont post reports like I did at first, after each post I would notice a new boat on the water, in the area . I dont like the lurkers, I think they take advantage of the site, When I found the site, it didn't take me long till I wanted to join and be apart of it. This site has helped me, I'm here every day. Any one in my area can PM me anytime, and If I can help , I will, but I will not put much info on the open board any more. There is one thing about it, if a lurker finds something new or a great tip or new method for catching crappie, you'll never hear about it. All takers and no sharing. I have meet some good people on here, and made some good fishing buddies , only because of this site. I'll be here as long as you all will let me, I like reading the report and I try to put up a report at least once a week, I just watch what I put on here.

Countryboy N.C.
11-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Password protected state forums along with normal state forums.

500 posts earns You the right to the passwords. This would weed out lazy lurkers, allow bonding time between new members and veteran members, and give the new members something to look forward to. There will still be plenty of avenues for free info to help newbies but this will give veteran members the discretion to help newbies if they want to through PM until Newbies have proven to be contributing members for the long haul.

The password would cover all state boards and be changed once a month by Slab. Then the Moderators could distribute the password to members through PM.

This is just a though/recommendation for debate.CF

This might work, I dont want to put anyone out, but I would like to be able to talk to serious fisherman and share detailed info, it takes a lot of time on the water to figure some of this stuff out, I think everyone should put there time in. I got people around here local , everyday, asking me all kinds of detailed questions, just so they can go a time or two and catch a boat load of fish. I tell them to get out there and fish alittle and it Will all come together for them, But the word around here is" that guy want tell you anything" so IT dont bother me If I dont tell them any thing. Oh well, it dont matter what I say, somebody want like it. Never fails.

flycaster
11-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me. Might even set a minimum post count before viewing is allowed also, otherwise someone will just register to read them anyway, and never post. Sometimes a few posts gets some talk going and opens them up to participate more than they initally thought.

Great post.
i agree.

bwillaub
11-29-2012, 10:21 AM
The 2 state forums is a great idea but that is a lot of added space on the server. Think it would be an option, Ed?

litewirehooker
11-29-2012, 10:24 AM
At our Slabfests at Talquin, we encourage fishermen to become members of Crappie.com. We limited winning of gifts (Donated by Crappie.com Members) to members of Crappie.com. To me, this would just be another advantage of being a member of the Crappie.com Family.

mduncan62
11-29-2012, 10:31 AM
This won't stop lurkers, and pretty soon someone will come up with locking individual states down so only people from the state can read it, then down to lake level access. LOL.

It may increase member count, but that's all that will happen, IMO. This will do nothing to increase sharing, or upping post counts.

Speck
11-29-2012, 10:31 AM
I like the idea. It keeps lurkers from gaining info without sharing any of theirs
Plus it should increase membership

Wannabe...
11-29-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm reminded of the immortal words of Lindsay Lohan when the judge told her to straighten up her act or else: "What evs".

Personally, I'm more apt to share real info with out of staters than locals. Then again, folks from here actually know my fishing skills, so they are less apt to ask I see pluses and minuses, I'm siding with the rocket scientist, Cane Pole, and voting neutral.

Wannabe...

Idunno
11-29-2012, 10:35 AM
I agree with declining participation to those who do not contribute. It seems right--one hand washes the other. But I do not think registration should be the determninant. That is too low of a hurdle.

Maybe a time-frame might work--something like a post gets you a few days. That way you would have to post, in order to look. Give an initial grace period to newby's, then they have to participate.

Sump'n like that.

Barbie
11-29-2012, 10:47 AM
GREAT IDEA!! I had an issue arise from a "lurker", and while I need to be more careful about what I post, knowing u wld have some membership info wld be great. Plus it will be nice to actually post fishing reports again :)

Sent from my I-phone.

broharrell
11-29-2012, 10:53 AM
I like the idea. It is no big deal to register to be a member. Don't know if it would solve the lurker problem though.

deathb4disco
11-29-2012, 10:59 AM
500 posts earns You the right to the passwords.

Two points:

1) CF's suggestion above is the best I've seen if you really want to do this. You have to set the post count high. Otherwise, it's a joke. Technically, though, somebody could still go into the Newbie forum and type "welcome" 500 times. It's easy to make a lot of posts and not really say anything.

2) The state boards are a good resource and help to make this site unique. However, they also tend to isolate people. Members burrow into the state forums and never come out. If we have "restricted state forums", the site will be even more "compartmentalized" than it is now. If that's what people really want, so be it. I don't see that as a plus, though. By exposing yourself to more ideas, you'll be a better fisherman.

Charley41
11-29-2012, 11:04 AM
I like the idea. It keeps lurkers from gaining info without sharing any of theirs
Plus it should increase membership
I know i join to learn about fishing these mo lakes and without the help of some friends i have now made i mite be still trying to figure it out. I'm for it. Will become a member today..

glasseyes
11-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Two points:

1) CF's suggestion above is the best I've seen if you really want to do this. You have to set the post count high. Otherwise, it's a joke. Technically, though, somebody could still go into the Newbie forum and type "welcome" 500 times. It's easy to make a lot of posts and not really say anything.

2) The state boards are a good resource and help to make this site unique. However, they also tend to isolate people. Members burrow into the state forums and never come out. If we have "restricted state forums", the site will be even more "compartmentalized" than it is now. If that's what people really want, so be it. I don't see that as a plus, though. By exposing yourself to more ideas, you'll be a better fisherman.

Excuse me but are you serious about 500 posts ? . I may not be on here 24-7 but I do consider my self somewhat active here and I know I have nowhere near that many posts. I don't disagree with the concept of being a member to get into the state forum and I really don't have a suggestion at this point as to how many posts it would take, if even that is the solution or not, but I am also a member of another fishing forum and it will show a members total post count under their sig line and I have seen members that have been there a couple years without that many posts. Not everyone has that much to say, some of us actually like to be out there fishing:)

strmwalker
11-29-2012, 11:11 AM
I say DO IT and this is why!!!!
Currently Active UsersThere are currently 896 users online (http://www.crappie.com/crappie/online.php). 157 members and 739 guests

Bob/MN
11-29-2012, 11:17 AM
I have been on several forums that has fishing reports. The reports are usually limited to what on,color, dept, water temp. a fish picture, and how to.
The name of the lake is omitted unless it is one of the very large lakes. This procedure protects the smaller lake from over fishing by the masses.

deathb4disco
11-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Excuse me but are you serious about 500 posts ? .

As I said:

You have to set the post count high. Otherwise, it's a joke.

"How high" is up to Slab.

At best, though, I'm neutral about the whole idea. IMO, the best way to share info and keep it private is through PM's or by setting up an email list.

Daily fishin
11-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Here is another post to boost my count...:twocents and another observation. The forum is great for some of us trying to figure it out. I've got to meet others that are willing to pass on information and its very much appreciated. I've even fished with a few guys met here on the forum that I otherwise would not have. All these things are great, but, what made the difference is that I've typed in stuff. They find out who I am and what I don't (or do) know. I do read more than I post but I feel the need to contribute.

As was said, lurkers will be lurkers. Some are like me but a little more shy, others are parisites just looking for your honey holes. I prefer the ideas and techniques and hopefully I'll find my own honey hole (maybe it will be yours! :Rofl) but I will find it on my own. One thing to not overlook is that we/they are only talking about the State forums. The main forums will still be open for those to post general information that all can use. Lots and Lots of information to be found there too. If the lurkers need more info, they need to come out of the shadows.

Daily fishin

Shellback
11-29-2012, 11:20 AM
I say DO IT and this is why!!!!
Currently Active UsersThere are currently 896 users online (http://www.crappie.com/crappie/online.php). 157 members and 739 guests

So what exactly is the problem with that? For all we know, 700 of them could be registered users that aren't signed in. If you clear your cookies or history on a daily basis, you sign out. Many times I don't bother signing in again unless I want to post.

Shellback
11-29-2012, 11:25 AM
I'll tell ya .........................
This is what gets me ...>
I got a PM the other day, from a new fellow (never seen him on the forum before), I think he had 4 posts.
He asked me about a lot of stuff = I took quite some time to answer and give him lots of info. = never heard from the fellow again ! !
Never seen any posts from him either = that irks me ! ! ! (at least a Tx's would be nice) .................................
Naw, I vote to be a registered member and have at least 10-20 posts before being able to read the State forums..............

You can go to yuku.com and set up your own forum just like that. Invitation only.

deathb4disco
11-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Many times I don't bother signing in again unless I want to post.

Same here. More often than not, I don't sign in.

Big H trucking
11-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Yeah there's pros and cons to both sides of the discussion for sure. I think that if registering to view some info is too much trouble, then you prolly shouldn't see it anyway...man I'm starting to sound like some guy on the MS board now. :Doh:

Watch out we will rub off on ya ask Speck..

EricY
11-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Total new guy to crappie fishing here. Just joined in the past week or so. I like the idea of having to register to view state forums. I am on another board, that is that way. They also require that you make a post in the welcome forum, before you can access the local forums. I don't think you need the high post counts. Something as simple as making 1-5 posts per year would weed out a lot of folks only looking to get something for nothing. I"m a member of another forum where you have to register with your first and last name, no hiding behind a screen name taking pot shots at people. I like it.

I think most sites get to this point eventually. Many sites I used to visit are now dead either due to no one wanting to post reports, or people being rude and confrontational. This site is really great, and I commend the owner, moderators and members for a great place to gain knowledge and meet new friends sharing the same interests.

keeferfish
11-29-2012, 11:55 AM
How about we just create a secrete code or type in invisible letters and supply members with a special decoding device.

I agree just register and never type a word and read read read, doesn’t seem like it will change a thing so I don’t really care either way. Slab Rules!!!

Oh and on the post count idea

Post 1. Hi

Post 2. Hi

Post 3. Hi

Post 500. Hi

Iwannafish
11-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Are you proposing that you have to be a member on that "state" board, or just a registered Crappie.com member? Course, as I think about it, I am OK with either.........

Crappieday
11-29-2012, 12:01 PM
do it slab........

slimeyslab
11-29-2012, 12:05 PM
I wonder how many lurkers are lurking right now reading how to stop the lurkers from lurking?

Phantom309
11-29-2012, 12:07 PM
There's murders out there, there's robbers and thieves out there ! ! (and rapists too) ! !
I don't care whether we're talking bout money, women, or fish = they're all out there ! ! ! ! ! !
And if ya don't keep a vigil out for em = they'll destroy you ! !
Why ya think this country is in the shape it's in now ????
Cause we're so good a folk as to give in to em and try to aid them in their plights = and their intentions = the heck with us, they're in it for themselves
and don't give one IOTA about us ! ! ! ! !
That's why I got 14 Dobermans in the back yard and 6 Rotwilers in the front ! ! ! !
If they gonna get me, they gotta work at it ! ! ! ! ! !

CatFan
11-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Sounds like a good idea. A benefit of membership. Will they be able to see the titles of the threads, or just the forum name?

strmwalker
11-29-2012, 12:57 PM
That's why I got 14 Dobermans in the back yard and 6 Rotwilers in the front ! ! ! !
If they gonna get me, they gotta work at it ! ! ! ! ! !you need to get you one of these!!!:ThumbsUp
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/harley01strmwalker/cid_2_546051844web180203_mail_gq1_yahoo.jpg
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/harley01strmwalker/cid_7_546051844web180203_mail_gq1_yahoo.jpg
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/harley01strmwalker/cid_8_546051844web180203_mail_gq1_yahoo.jpg

chuckauten
11-29-2012, 01:31 PM
I agree with both sides. I remember one saying my father always told me "IF IT IS NOT BROKEN, THEN DON'T TINKER WITH IT". Yes there are some who just read, they have their reasons for not posting. Like TNT, I have met many people who love CC, but do not post.

As to the secrets of lake, if it is a small lake, I do not post it's name, just the color, speed, depth, jig weight and speed. If it is Talquin, Monroe, Ky lake, etc. I will post the name and some times the bay.

Slab, tough decision, but what will it accomplish. Every action has a reaction. Right now, I have heard very few negatives about CC, and those I did were from people who would probally complain if you hung them with a new rope. As of now, when you see 15 posts and 350 views, what has this hurt CC. Yes some people feel that this info is shared by a few and read by many. So?

Just my :twocents

specklater
11-29-2012, 01:33 PM
I only have a computer at work and not at home so I usually check out the forum on my lunch hour or after work before I leave to check out the BS going back and forth and look at some pictures of lakes and fish that people catch. I work a lot and don't have a lot of time to fish so I get my fishing fix looking at this site. It keeps me from going totally nuts (although my wife would probably tell you I made that little exit years ago) I'm not sure which way to go since I can see it both ways. I know one thing for sure. I've been a member for a good while now and don't post unless I think I've got something to add to the conversation but anybody who can come up with a great site like this knows what he's doing! I'll go with whatever Ed decides and be happy about having a great place to go where people who love to fish are.

specklater
11-29-2012, 01:39 PM
There's murders out there, there's robbers and thieves out there ! ! (and rapists too) ! !
I don't care whether we're talking bout money, women, or fish = they're all out there ! ! ! ! ! !
And if ya don't keep a vigil out for em = they'll destroy you ! !
Why ya think this country is in the shape it's in now ????
Cause we're so good a folk as to give in to em and try to aid them in their plights = and their intentions = the heck with us, they're in it for themselves
and don't give one IOTA about us ! ! ! ! !
If they gonna get me, they gotta work at it ! ! ! ! ! !

Dang Phantom sounds like Jacksonville's westside not Titusville! I only got 2 dogs but if they get past them I've got a surprise next to my bed!

yikess
11-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Great post.
i agree.

+1

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

65pontiac
11-29-2012, 01:55 PM
All for it :ThumbsUp

magnum500
11-29-2012, 02:26 PM
I like the idea and here is my reason. To me it is no different than someone asking you to do them a favor by helping them with something. They ask you for help several times and you help them every time but when you need help and you ask them they are always too busy to return the favor. It is that way here but with information. Some want to know where to go and how to fish yet will never share information to help anyone else. I agree with having to have a minimum number of posts before viewing but as stated in other posts it is EASY to just post a welcome or a hello and it count. Maybe make it mandatory that all memebers must start a minimum number of threads before being allowed to view state boards. I am sure whatever is done will help weed out those that want someone else to do the work so that they may reap the benefits.

vic n
11-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Sounds like a great idea...allow them to browse the main stuff, but require a small commitment to get into the state forums is a win-win deal, I think

papasage
11-29-2012, 02:38 PM
sounds good Ed . the info most post on poticular spots are not a good spot the next day anyway . even a hour late is not good . so they are probabley wasting their time . just post depth and whether on a drop off ot brush piles . no one has to and is not expected to post the spot . they should be members to post and read i think .

Crappiegirl1
11-29-2012, 02:43 PM
i think its a great idea, after all membership is FREE

gary
11-29-2012, 02:52 PM
when did we all become so selfish? where do we get deeds for our {spots}?

LBM
11-29-2012, 03:01 PM
I think that by going to members only on state forums would just be formalizing cliquishness that is really already going on with the use of PMs which is just the norm for any group or association.

Yes it is rather galling to see members so often on here that I know are real good fishers that have posted a few times but their post are never sharing anything about crappie fishing or how they crappie fish. I'm guessing its just a tournament fishers attitude thing since I do know they tournament fish. And it's really no big deal since there are many tournament and many non-tournament fishers on C dot C. Since I don't ever intend to tournament fish I'll guess I will never be getting any info from them which is also fine since I already get enormous amounts of enjoyment from crappie fishing without any info from them.

So as I see it limiting state forums to members only won't really be changing anything different from what it already is. Just my :twocents

Fatman
11-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Ed - This is going to wishy washsy and some won't like my comments but you asked.

Part of the reason I'm entertaining it is members are beginning to hesitate to post fishing reports because they think the world is looking in.

Sounds like "members are beginning to hesitate to post fishing reports because they think the world is looking in". Kind of implies that they think they own the waters they fish, and don't want anyone else on them. JMO

If you implement having to be signed in to read the State Boards - What happens when all of us who tie jigs and post them and powder paint mixtures - says to you "Members of the Jig Crafting section are beginning to hesitate to post patterns, paint mixtures and tying tricks, because they feel the tackle industry is watching the board and stealing all our ideas"!!!!!

Are you going to lock that section up also??? When does it end???

Ed "The Easy Answer" comes right from your Site Rules/Privacy Policy Section: "Crappie.com is members only web site"

If that is absolutely true then all you have to do is set the "Forum" so that only members logged into the site can "SEE OR READ ANYTHING". All others would see a banner page, a sign in block/register block.

SlabLapper4sure
11-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Best idea I have heard. I know a good many that has stopped posting reports. I wish there was a way if you wasn't a active menber you couldn't read the state boards.
Great idea Ed!!!

Mrs. Crappie Stalker
11-29-2012, 03:11 PM
I don't have any problems at all with the proposal. It's interesting to me that folks get freaked out about posting fishing reports. If I post and tell y'all that I fished Big Sandy in 14 fow along the channel drop using blue/chartreuse tube jigs, you could fish for months and never hit the exact spot I was in, not to mention the fact that where they bite today may not be where they bite tomorrow. It's not like we're giving out gps waypoints to the general public. What I do know is this, without the advice and input from my fellow crappie.commers, I probably wouldn't have as much confidence about fishing "foreign" waters or trying new techniques. The very first time Paul and I reached out to a member for advice, (that would be Cane Pole) he helped us out immensely. We've never forgotten that and we've gained treasured friends in he and Miss Brenda as well as many others over the years. There will always be lurkers and, frankly, it's their loss if they don't join and participate.

Shellback
11-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Hmmm? Just want to ask Slab if he thinks this site would have grown to what it has today, if he placed some of these restrictions on the site from the get go? Like someone else said, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you don't want to share fishing reports, don't post them. How much simpler could it be?

Phantom309
11-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Yeah, after thinking about it for awhile = it's Slab's site and I'm sure he wants it to at least pay for itself,
whatever that involves is his choice, other than that, what the hey ..................................................

S10CHEVY
11-29-2012, 03:40 PM
This is a problem, on a lot of fishing boards. I know of a member here, who if others see his boat on the water, they will follow him, because they have seen pics of his boat online, and know that he knows, how to catch fish. I belong to another fishing board also, and what was done there, you have to be a member and so many posts, before you can view the fishing reports.

But, people have to be smart, in what they post for others to see. If your showing too much in pictures, with a view of the banks behind you, they will find the spot. If you share other pictures of the area in the post, then they can really figure it out. Just telling what was used to catch fish, is no big deal. Telling the name of a lake, or area of a river, might be too much info also.

I can live with either way, on what happens.

glasseyes
11-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Ed - This is going to wishy washsy and some won't like my comments but you asked.

Sounds like "members are beginning to hesitate to post fishing reports because they think the world is looking in". Kind of implies that they think they own the waters they fish, and don't want anyone else on them. JMO

If you implement having to be signed in to read the State Boards - What happens when all of us who tie jigs and post them and powder paint mixtures - says to you "Members of the Jig Crafting section are beginning to hesitate to post patterns, paint mixtures and tying tricks, because they feel the tackle industry is watching the board and stealing all our ideas"!!!!!

Are you going to lock that section up also??? When does it end???

Ed "The Easy Answer" comes right from your Site Rules/Privacy Policy Section: "Crappie.com is members only web site"

If that is absolutely true then all you have to do is set the "Forum" so that only members logged into the site can "SEE OR READ ANYTHING". All others would see a banner page, a sign in block/register block.

If there was absolutely have to ba a change made, then I vote for this one.

Donald@CrappieLogic
11-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Yoouuuu can dooo iiiitttt slab!!!!!

satdoc1
11-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Great idea , go ahead and start with the Mississippi board first.

Slab
11-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Great thread. Great feedback, I love it.

Someone asked about space, that's not an issue, we'll never fill up the server.

There was much mention of requiring a certain number of posts, that can be done. But the other stuff, setting it up so only "recently active" members can view a forum, is not something I can do (at least not easily through the software).

And private forums, yes I can do that. They are called Groups and anyone can make them. You have to be invited to post there, but the way I have it set up, anyone can view them.

I just wanted to add details to the conversation. I've not decided on anything.

Another big problem is, if we make the state forums accessible to members only, the search engines won't be able to access them either. And that is not a good thing. There's a lot of information there that the search engines utilize which bring the site a lot of traffic.

Also, I get paid primarily by displaying those google ads. Non-Members see many more ads than members. I do that on purpose to take advantage of all those lurkers.

And lastly, that "users online" count includes "spiders/robots". Those are search engine programs that scan the site "automatically" for content. And there are quite a few of those out there. That skews the "users online" numbers you see.

Great feedback, keep it coming. Thanks all. We are the best family on the net! I'm going to type this out loud. I love you guys, and gals. :HandsClapping

6poundtest
11-29-2012, 05:27 PM
New guy here but read often. One option to consider might be to be something that hinges on being a paying supporter, rather than simply a member. That looks a bit hypocritical since I'm not a paying supporter at this time. I'm the type of person that if I don't have something relevant to say, I don't say anything. I don't want to be known as the type to stick my oar in on every subject just so I can boost a post count. While I do recognize that the world is full of takers, making them pony up some bucks for specific areas, rather than general areas, might cut down on the weeds some. Ken

beagle man
11-29-2012, 05:35 PM
I post day,time,place 99per cent of the time, to members and non members, I take the time in the coffee shops, restaurants, parking lots. any where any time to help educate the good people fishing, so I am not a fan of restrictions. but I have no problems with others wanting to be on the qt...

skiptomylu
11-29-2012, 06:04 PM
well me again and am back because I went through reading all this stuff and the ones saying it will not make much difference because they then could join and still lurk is probably right. So I am not sure it's work doing it at all. It would increase membership I feel sure which would help the site overall as far as sponsor advertising, but not sure it will actually help people that are just members and want to change to slow down lurking.

I don't post on all state boards, don't even go to all of them, but I do from time to time read a little on quite a few and even post if I have something to say. I enjoy being able to visit boards I don't necessary post on if they have some technique I am interested in learning a little about or if I want to go fishing in that state so don't think making a state board only for people that live in that state as feel that would hurt the info sharing.

I am sure you will do what you think best, but I have changed some on my opinion just because I am not sure it would really accomplish a lot except for your advertising part which clearly is important part. As for peoples complaints I really don't think it will change much.

NeonMoon
11-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Also, I get paid primarily by displaying those google ads. Non-Members see many more ads than members. I do that on purpose to take advantage of all those lurkers.

Slab, I didn't read all the previous posts, so this may have been mentioned.

I wasn't aware of the financial role the Ads play. Don't know that I'd want to shoot myself in the foot (financially). What about a "Lake Reports" sub-forum for each State (or at least those who wanted one), and then apply the post count to only that particular Board, but leave the rest "as is". Hope that makes sense.

fireman1501
11-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Lets do this!!!

wilbur
11-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Just make the State reports available to CDC Supporters. Heck make the whole site that way.

NeonMoon
11-29-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm unsure if there's currently any benefits of being a Supporter over a Member since it had nothing to do with my choice to support the site. I've made a million times over my support, in new friends.

However I'd tread lightly regarding seperation of Supporters and Members. Sure I can see some added benefits of supporting the site, I would just make sure Members didn't fell less valued here. Some people just can't afford to.

JimmyS
11-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Ed, it will not be in stone. if it dosen"t work you can always go back. just my thoughts. Mr. Jimmy

panfish angler
11-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Most of the forums that i belong to you have to be a member to read the post in the forum. I do not post much, but I have gained a lot of information on patterning fish and fishing methods. I thank the members who have posted this info. This is why I joined C.C . I post when I feel my input will help. Some of us are more listeners than talkers.

jigflip
11-29-2012, 07:36 PM
great

Splitshot82
11-29-2012, 07:40 PM
The more I read and think...the less I care one way or the other. Great points on both sides. I lurked for a while before joining up and posting some. I don't think that a membership requirement to see posts would have deterred me from joining. It may have even sped the process up.

It irks me a little when folks act like a less detailed report is unworthy of posting. I don't feel like I own the lake by any means, but I do put in some time scouting and putting out cover. To me there's value in having a forum to share memories of a good day (or not so good) without giving every last detail to someone who's just browsing the web for info. I don't think a membership requirement would change my thought pattern on this though.

The flip side to that is that some folks on here have really helped me out. I always offer to repay that help however I can, but sometimes it's just been one sided generosity. I try to help folks visiting my home lake out, but it's usually via PM.

While I think it's great to be a supporter, I'm definitely not a fan of a "pay to view" mentality. We might lose a lot of good input that way...

shuorc
11-29-2012, 08:08 PM
I tend to be a talker when it comes to crappie fishing, don't mind if your boat bumps mine, just don't take my minnows or fish in my livewell. Learned 20 years ago to NOT give the exact location of where i caught a bunch, never got back on that spot, boss and his brother were there everytime i'd go. Will help anyone try to find fish or share what i've got. but will listen to my younger brother--YOU CAN'T TELL MOM. Lurkers are missing a lot and members only is alright.--shu

RetiredRR
11-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Go ahead Slab, toss the quarter and heads you do it and tails you don't.

Phantom309
11-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Wait, wait, wait ......
I can do a year long study for the paltry sum of $100,000.00 and can
guarantee a fruitful outcome either way it goes ! ! ! !

bwomack_29
11-29-2012, 09:21 PM
X3 great idea

Outlaw1&2
11-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Sounds like a very good idea to me, if they want to know whats up they should join!!

jaxsprat
11-29-2012, 09:35 PM
WOW Slab, you stepped on a land mine of ideas and thoughts with your post idea........
Note: I would hate to get locked out of other states forums, I think that Missouri forum is one great read keeps me smiling:biggrin

crappiefarmer
11-29-2012, 10:12 PM
The reason why I think a public state forum and private state forum would work is because Most of the veterans here like to help new people getting in to crappie fishing. That IS what makes this site so great. Having a public and private forum keeps that atmosphere in place. As the same newbies ask more questions and get to know the veterans, the Veterans will encourage them to participate more so they can quickly gain access to the private side of the state board. They will have to make the effort. The info sharing and how to stuff will still go on in the public forums and main board. The private forums is for the guys that have been here a long time, put a lot of time in this site helping others. Want to tell the others here specifics about their spots to good friends here that contribute greatly as well and do it without going to their spot the next time out and find a dozen boats sitting on the spot. No they don't own the spot. Don't have a deed to it. It is public water but the member is the one who put in the work to find the spot and he only wants to share that with people that are helping others here just like he is. He also is probably wanting to pay back some of the other members that helped him get to where he is on his fishing success. If You want to tell someone about particulars then You can PM them. But if You have 10 or 15 people that You want to tell and no one else, then it can be not worth the trouble to let everyone You want to know, know about it. The whole purpose of this site I think is to get people set up properly to catch fish but let them find there own spots. Doing a public/private forum deal accomplishes both goals of still helping people and giving some of the veteran members a place where they can share info that is valuable to them and know the others in those forums will respect that value.

That is not being talked about. Info has value to it. Some more than others. Some info is so valuable that You only want to share it with a few. Not ten thousand. Thats what private state forums would do with a high post count access. Someone that goes on the Newbie forum and posts HI 500 times can be checked. Just go into their profile and check old posts. If that is all they are doing, let slab or a moderator know and let them handle the "gaming of the system".

If You are a Newbie, don't worry about it. You will still get all the help You need and then some. I don't see anything changing. It will just take some reports out that are super detailed for respect of some others who have been here and contributed for a long time.

I really think this would work but if it doesn't, You just scrap it and go back like it was.

just don't know the ramifications of the advertising side of it for Slab. We would not want to put a financial burden on him for doing something like this. Finding something that would work for everyone and not cost Slab is the key to the whole deal.CF

feeshrman
11-29-2012, 10:23 PM
could not have said it better myself, as a matter of fact i have recently applied this idea to some local folks who like to follow me but NEVER offer any info, i hope they are one of the lurkers on here, if so, now you know why the cold shoulder!

crappiedave55
11-29-2012, 11:04 PM
After reading alot of these responses,it sounds like so many have become the monsters they want to eliminate.More than a few have stated that they no longer give out information so in reality ,they have become the lurkers they want to get rid of.I post every trip I go on with all the details that I have got and I still am able to find a chunk of water to fish the next time I go.My freinds and family will be more likely be sitting on my hole than a stranger and I still tell them .Point here is ,this is a great website and I hope it doesn't change.Lurkers will always be lurkers ,just don't become the monster you are trying to kill.(go back to posting some pics and tell us how good of a day you had)

BigRiverMarine
11-29-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm in. It's free to join, so just make the lurkers join to get the info. At least you'll know who's lurking!!!!! A PM is for private, personal, location sensitive info. Maybe a separate forum for Supporting members tho.

Big River Marine
Bill Burnett
870-635-0202

We sell XPRESS, EXCEL, and ALWELD Boats. Yamaha, Suzuki, Evinrude, Mud Buddy, and Tohatsu/Nissan Engines.
Pro Staff, Southern Pro Tackle and Ozark Rods.
Member, Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Donald@CrappieLogic
11-30-2012, 06:29 AM
I think if we get rid of wannabe it will all work out107943

Crappie 1
11-30-2012, 06:51 AM
Good Idea. I've been on a couple other forums where they had a "Members Only section" and untill I became a member on that forum, I always wondered what was talked about behind closed doors.

Yelim
11-30-2012, 07:15 AM
Slab
Keep in mind what you started this forum for. This talk about private this and private that is a concern. If someone wants private then use PM or start your own site and you can control private. The fisherman that knows a place to catch fish controls what info he tells about said spot until someone sees him catching fish and homes in on that spot. And tells others where his spot is. Hole jumping happens I'm sure but anyone that has the means can find specks. As read on this forum numberous times, just look for the boats. When I post on the internet it is not private. I don't care who sees it, members or not. Lots of sites you can read but have to join to post. As far as post counts per month or week or six months I think would be a burden on the owner, I could be wrong. It has happened before.

Charley41
11-30-2012, 07:31 AM
:hesaid
Just make the State reports available to CDC Supporters. Heck make the whole site that way.

kingfish387
11-30-2012, 08:04 AM
It might make it harder to get new members,not being able to see what your signing up for?I know I lurked on the Ks. forum to see what they talked about and how the posts went before I decided to become a member.If I had not been able to read and see for myself I may not have signed up.This is something I really liked about CDC is I was able to explore the site and state forum before joining.This is the only site I am a member of partly due to that!

sls
11-30-2012, 08:16 AM
With all of todays electronics, which I have chosen not to have, no fishing spots are hidden any more. I do things the old fashion way. I do the work of putting out matts and fish them when "lurkers" are not on them, which is becoming more and more. Soon fishing may go down, simply because folks are not putting structure in the lake. Reminds me of the current federal government!! I do enjoy seeing the illustrations from the electronics, but I also deer hunted with a bow during gun season. I also did the work to insure deer would come where I needed them to be. So with all that said, not sure the public vs private thing is a big deal.

longline
11-30-2012, 08:17 AM
I agree that there are too many people learning how to fish. Use to be no one spider rigged, long lined, used jigs, fished around brush, used crank baits, shot under docks, fished in the winter, fished around bridges, put minnows under corks, use long poles to jig around brush and stumps, and know the good jig colors.

People just did not know these things. They were never taught.

Next thing you know kids will stop playing video games and take up fishing too. We have got to keep this stuff to ourselves.

Just kidding!:biggrin

crappiefarmer
11-30-2012, 08:21 AM
Members are Private messaging their reports now anyway. Why not make a private forum so they can really share like THEY want to? Some are complaining that a Private board is taking away from what the site was made for. BUT when some don't feel like they can post a trip anymore here because of the lurkers, isn't that just as bad? No info at all being shared then. If that became a widespread issue on this site, it would lose its soul.CF

muttley
11-30-2012, 08:47 AM
ohh, private messages. so that's why they are 15 people in a state's forum in the early a.m. but few things get posted.

claybuster
11-30-2012, 08:54 AM
As a relative NEWBEE, I think this is a great site just the way it is....... I was a lurker for about 6 months before I actually joined up ! If you aren't into sharing your report don't post it on the world wide web because "somebody will read it for sure".........keep it simple for us computer illiterates who have to have our kids show us how to post or join...... PM me with any hot tips and insider info,,,, gps coordinates and the hot bait for today ect,,,,ect,,,,, Remember, it's suppose to be FUN:dono

shakynerves24
11-30-2012, 09:05 AM
In my going out to bar days, I became a VERY good pool player. I played a lot of games against real good players for a buck but didn't learn much. When I started playing them for $20-$50 per game I learned a lot. They brought their "a Game." as the money got bigger. So I think they should pay to play and learn from the BEST!!!!

Spaceman
11-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Lurkers will be lurkers. If not as a member, they will sign up and lurk...without contributing.

This is a tough topic that has no simple solution, or means of making all happy. I essentially like the site the way it is. I think there are existing tools on this site that we may not use very well, for instance 'friends' and 'pm's'.

I have not been a member long, but try to contribute as much as I can. I do think there is some merit in exploring a private group tool so a select group of individuals can join share more select information.

This site is not broken...let's not try to break it.

Joedog
11-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Lurkers are a problem.

Restricting the site is NOT the solution.

Your membership count will go up, to be sure.
If you require X number of posts, (or threads created) then those numbers will surely rise as well.

And there will be plenty of awesome people who visit for the first time but don't want to jump through all the hoops to become an "elite" member so go away.

But lurkers are gonna lurk. Adjust your info accordingly. What seems to work in MO is to post certain info but not COMPLETE info.

KokomoTerror
11-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Great idea - it's still free!

Crappiegirl1
11-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Originally i thought having private rooms for chat would be great then on 2nd thought realized it would end up detracting from overall state board posts cause we would probably end up with everyone having their own group room amf posting to it 99% . To have a lake report for each state and limit it to just that and no chit chat for members only and or definition of members being registered Cc people i think would be a drawing card for people to join i mean if a person can not register a free name for the site whats their problem anyway? Problem being members start using the state lake reports as their PRIVATE room which would have to be monitored by the moderators. Perhaps 1 person from each lake area could be the poster for the say weekly coming from members. I know that some bait shops put out weekly reports perhaps we could also utilize a few of them and use that angle as a cross marketing tool down the road. These meds got my uduslly dormant brain working overtime
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

HillBilly
11-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Lets try not to forget why we joined crappie.com,We have the friends list,private messages,Great tools to use for our own benifit,and we still have and always will have the lurkers.Lets try not to put ourselves into a elite group that will discourage serious fishermen,and women,from having second thoughts about joining.I miss seeing the posts and pictures that were posted when I first joined crappie.com.I think we are concentrating too much on the lurkers and forgetting the purpose of crappie.com

keeferfish
11-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Lurkers are a problem.
I disagree about Lurkers being a problem; we were all lurkers before we joined. The people posting are the problem. If you donít want some one to know donít post it. I donít think youíll get any better or more detailed information even if it is private. By the way can some of you post your SS# and Bank account info. Itís just for research purposes!

What seems to work in MO is to post certain info but not COMPLETE info.
This has worked for me because I wonít tell Joe anything even when Heís in my boat!!

keeferfish
11-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Note: I would hate to get locked out of other states forums, I think that Missouri forum is one great read keeps me smiling:biggrin

I changed my mind, I didnít know people form Northern Illinois were watching! LOCK This Place DOWN!!!:Rofl

Phantom309
11-30-2012, 01:06 PM
I gotta come clean ....
After dwelling on it, I do believe that Slab and Google come first, and that means lurkers do most of the clicking on the adds, therefore
they are indeed needed to help with the bills.
So, as has been mentioned, PM'n works great.......
But, I would like to be able to have "private" groups, just for us anti-social folks that like to hide in the corners
and talk about the rest of ya'll ...........

skeetbum
11-30-2012, 01:10 PM
You get what you give. Good idea Ed. As easy as it is to be a member all should join.

SeaRay
11-30-2012, 01:15 PM
I vote for it. I'd like you to make SC one of the first to try it. How about it SC members??? You got any objection to going first?
SeaRay

yankee doodler
11-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Isn't that sorta what the "groups" are about. Those can be by invite only. Least wise thats how I been using the one I created for the MICDC people.

keeferfish
11-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Maybe they just need a place of their own!!!:Rofl:deadhorse

Eager Beaver
11-30-2012, 01:52 PM
I have held back on this topic Ed. It is a catch 22 here. Today there were 857 online, 160 members and 697 guests. Limiting access might drive the guests away, which would hurt the site. Those of us that participate on the site enjoy it very much and feel that it is like an extended family. It is a very friendly site and you can participate as much or as little as you want. On the other hand it is like why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free! I too viewed the site before I joined and feel it was the best decision I made to enhance my fishing experience. Being a member you can ask questions and give info on the lakes that you fish. You can get specific info on certain rods or reels. Being a member of Crappie.Com carry's a lot of clout with the fishing industry. Manufacturers take note when you are backed by a 25,000 membership behind you. You can receive discounts being a member from different manufactures.
All I can say is there are more reasons to join Crappie.Com than not to join. Oh! it is also a great Stocking stuffer for Christmas. :biggrin Have a great Holiday Season and good fishing to you all! :fish EB

"G"
11-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Either way.....all of us that are members will never notice any difference so just do what you feel like doing Ed.

Donald@CrappieLogic
11-30-2012, 02:14 PM
don't understand why we have lurkers anyway just join and be a member of the family. don't cost nothing and you get to be a member to the best site on the web
you learn a lot more crappie fishing knowledge if you join and meet a lot of good people WIN WIN

Joedog
11-30-2012, 02:42 PM
we were all lurkers before we joined.
I wasn't. I joined the first day I clicked the link in the google results when I searched for "People who don't know crap about fishing Smithville Lake" and your profile came up.

By the way can some of you post your SS# and Bank account info. Itís just for research purposes!
Trust me bud....that info won't do you ANY good! In fact, you're welcome to it!

What seems to work in MO is to post certain info but not COMPLETE info.

This has worked for me because I wonít tell Joe anything even when Heís in my boat!!

Everybody knows you can't catch a fish even if you were fishing outta your livewell. Well....there was that one. But it took you a few days to catch it! :Rofl

Papa Bear
11-30-2012, 03:10 PM
It has been suggested that to read the state forums, you should have to be a member, and I'm seriously thinking of implementing that. PArt of the reason I'm entertaining it is members are beginning to hesitate to post fishing reports because they think the world is looking in. So I'll very likely make a change the first of the year as an experiment to see how it goes.

There will be no changes at all to all the other forums. Only the State Forums will be changed, and the only change that will be made is that you have to be signed on as a member to read or participate on them. I might try a few states at first when I roll it out. But it's something I'm seriously considering to at least experiment with after the first of the year. It may open things up for more information sharing here on the site knowing they are only sharing it with fellow members. Thoughts?

I agree. I rarely log on because I don't like posting for all to see. Members only great idea.http://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/icons/icon14.png

big roy
11-30-2012, 04:19 PM
i like itJumping Jacks Icon

crappielimits
11-30-2012, 04:21 PM
I think a fishing report section added to the state boards with member only access or 100 post min. The problem not be on larger lakes,but smaller lakes like Talquin and Monroe are greatly over crowded by fair weather fishrman at times. These are the people who wait until theyget a report that the fish are biting after someone else has put in all the work. There are only a few lakes that you goto and see 30+ boats crowded in one area. Alot of people say just ride Talquin til you see the boats??? Is this fishing? I love to help others, but when people are taking advantage its another thing. I just want to help my fellow fisherman and upcoming fisherman.

Crappie 1
11-30-2012, 04:56 PM
I joined the first day I came on this site. I was absolutely interested in Crappie fishing. If it would have cost me to join, I would have. This was the single most, best site I had found that was family oriented. It was what I was looking for after belonging to a couple other sites. Shortly after, I became a supporting member, I wanted to help keep this site on line. This is one, if not the best, fishing site on line. There will always be people that want to put in nothing, but "gleen" from the wealth of information...

dennisafields
11-30-2012, 05:25 PM
OK by me.

yikess
11-30-2012, 05:37 PM

May I suggest the great state of Mississippi for Beta testing during the month of December? We would be proud to serve as the test mule for the possible change.:biggrin

Barry Dye
11-30-2012, 06:06 PM
I would LOVE to see it this way. I hesitate to post some things myself because of all the lurkers.

shipahoy41
11-30-2012, 06:06 PM
I also believe it will increase membership. Go for it Ed.

gabowman
11-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Great idea, I know a couple of guys who won't join or participate but check it everyday for the fishing reports.On my home lakes I know of SEVERAL lurkers looking on that wont contribute. Slab, let us know which states you roll out first so we can go back to posting accurate reports. I'm all for it.:)

jpdawg
11-30-2012, 06:25 PM
I am on the fence. I joined this site to gain knowledge about fishing not to horn in on anybodys honey hole. Never have, never will. For example, It would be a shame for somebody wanting to learn about trolling not be able to read the 135 page "pulling cranks 101" on the Mississippi state site, absolute wealth of information and it got me pointed in the right direction. Maybe some of the state stickies could be made available to future CDC members (Lurkers)? For me it is about sharing techniques, strategies, new product info, etc. to help others out. Best fishing site I have found, thanks.

Anchor Man
11-30-2012, 06:33 PM
I think your idea is a great one.

redear
11-30-2012, 06:40 PM
I like the idea too.

ofishlbizzness
11-30-2012, 06:42 PM
I say go for it. And remember Ray we was First in another small altercation a few years back. We ain't skeered !

I vote for it. I'd like you to make SC one of the first to try it. How about it SC members??? You got any objection to going first?
SeaRay

gotta_fish
11-30-2012, 06:58 PM
When I first found this site, I joined,but I felt like a LURKER, because I was new to the lake I now call my home lake .Because I was asking questions ,reading posts and never had any reports to post myself.I still cant catch cold water Crappie ,but I can do decent in the spring/ summer.Ive become friends with some great fishermen,and they will point you in the right direction.Ive never really thought of how it would have been if I didnt join,im not greedy and I dont mind telling you where,what depth and what bait im using.Guess I really dont have an opinion on members only or not ,but it wont hurt my feeling either way.Try it best thing will happen is more people will join,JMO.

chaunc
11-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Just wondering, how many of these great friendships would we'd have had, if this change would have been implemented about 5 or 10 years ago. Would this site be as popular as it is now? Nothing wrong with sharing info in a PM, if that's how you want to share private info. Dont think we should penalize the new people tho.

Crappiegirl1
11-30-2012, 09:59 PM
GENERAL QUESTION---What percentage of registered members actually post a considerable amount? Some people are not as boisterous possibly as some of us, and some are enjoying the site and the information, not to be "sucking it up" without contributing but simply because its all been said or they agree anyway. They just enjoy the information and the stories and dont feel the need to post--after all there was not a restriction when they joined that they had to post, but were invited to enjoy the site. Some possible are not even computer savy. IMO we have a lot of members who do not post much if any but are enjoying the site for their own reasons AND SO MAY THE LURKERS BE---I think we have a great site thanks to Slab and we need to make sure everyone feels welcome as always. At some point i believe the lurkers convert to members when they get around to it in their own good time I think there is probably an average lag time from lurker to member and slab would probably be better suited to come up with that number. LAG time on convertion from LURKER to member would be an interesting study---BUT UNFORTUNETLY IM RETIRED NOW!LOL The meds are really kicking NOW!

crappielimits
11-30-2012, 10:00 PM
If we do a reports only section on the state forums, we can still share info the same! Between the Ga and Fla boards we like to trade info and have a little pun and fun. I can not PM each individual a report and takes the fun out of the conversation. Our smaller lakes are different from the huge ones other states have. Try it on states that want it.

Rees Guide
11-30-2012, 10:01 PM
I joined fist day I came to this site, reason being was that I intended to be a part of it. If not for this site I would be deer hunting in the morning instead of meetingup with a gentleman that I met because of this site, we gonna fish one of the nations top lakes and hopefully we will hammer them. If not thats ok too, spending time on the water with a friend is good enuff for me.
Monday I will share my boat with one of them Indian yanks that has done about moved in down here, really looking forward to meeting him and sharing a day with him, hopefully we will catch some fish but that will just be the icing on the cake.
If they cant join the site then why should they benefit, there ae some banned members that keep up with things way closer than the members in good standing. Banned for a reason, whatever that may be, but yet they are privvy to what goes on on the state boards. I say go for it, dont think it is gonna hurt anything at all.

crappiefarmer
11-30-2012, 11:44 PM
10 years ago, this site would have not needed this kind of deal. There might have been a thousand or two members, it was just catching on,lurker numbers were low and there was no big deal. Now there are many thousands and people are starting to see in big numbers, people showing up in the places they have been fishing in surges right after they give a good report.

This was bound to happen with time and this is what is called growing pains. If this deal was done incorrectly with the private state forums, it would not work. It has to be done right to not violate the prime directive of this site. That is to share info. There still will be plenty of How to and banter between friends. We just need to give those that have contributed for many years the respect they deserve instead of telling them to share or hit the road.

Think about a person here that has helped You out. Maybe Your not slaying the crappie yet but you are improving. More than likely, that person has helped more than You. Maybe that person catches a large amount every time he goes. Now when He posts a report, he is noticing an increase of boats in his normal fishing areas. He may not even be able to fish the spot that he worked hard to find because some lurker read his report that was used to help someone here out. Now ain't that a kick in the butt. You help someone here out and get punished for it. What a way to treat someone that has helped You in the past. Makes them wonder why in the he77 they did it to start with.

I have not seen that in my own area because I just don't get to go as often as I would like so the reports are low. But I have heard of this happening before and some locals to the area get angry if they find out That You are posting this stuff on any site and You are guaranteed to lose their info permanently if they find out.

Some might think this stuff is pretty petty but to some, it is serious. I can see where they are coming from. I don't want to lose their valuable info either. Just want to make it work for everybody in some sort of fashion and I think Slab could do it.CF

chulai1968
12-01-2012, 12:02 AM
I enjoy reading all of the state forums, learning from all.

jaxsprat
12-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Quote Originally Posted by jaxsprat http://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/232329-state-forums-members-only-post2101452.html#post2101452)Note: I would hate to get locked out of other states forums, I think that Missouri forum is one great read keeps me smiling:biggrin

I changed my mind, I didnít know people form Northern Illinois were watching! LOCK This Place DOWN!!!:Rofl
Now, now keeferfish u'all should be nice to us poor Illinois folks, cause we could always ship some of our crooked politicians down to Mo. and they would put your state a billion $$$ in RED like Illinois in no time, as they are as slippery & slimy as those Silver Carp Mississippi & Illinois riversnonono:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggr in:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin :biggrin

REDEYE50
12-01-2012, 08:23 AM
I would rather see you fix the "back arrow" problem!

GoneCrappieFishing
12-01-2012, 08:56 AM
One reason there are "Lurkers" as some call it, is there are lots of folks who go to work and have computer access at work, but they dont suppose to be on "Non" Work related sites, so they dont want to have anything that shows this particular person here is who is spending time at crappie.com instead of working. Ive logged on countless times from our main office at work, and I would never put in information that could be tied to me doing it.lol

Crappie.com is a great site, and I'm sure will continue to be with whatever you decide Ed. :)

Joedog
12-01-2012, 10:29 AM
One reason there are "Lurkers" as some call it, is there are lots of folks who go to work and have computer access at work, but they dont suppose to be on "Non" Work related sites, so they dont want to have anything that shows this particular person here is who is spending time at crappie.com instead of working. Ive logged on countless times from our main office at work, and I would never put in information that could be tied to me doing it.lol

Crappie.com is a great site, and I'm sure will continue to be with whatever you decide Ed. :)

As a company IT guy who is responsible for our Internet Content filtering and reporting, logging into the site isn't going to make one bit of difference than not logging in. They'll ID you by the computer's IP address, not your login. Just FYI.

(As an aside, I went ahead and "unblocked" crappie.com from our filters a long time ago cuz...SCREW BIG BROTHER!!):biggrin

Crappiegirl1
12-01-2012, 12:36 PM
love your "id hit that" lol

Crappiegirl1
12-01-2012, 12:40 PM
I would rather see you fix the "back arrow" problem!

i love your humor!

big minnow
12-01-2012, 12:57 PM
:ThumbsUp Great idea... I share info here when ever I get the importunity that may help someone. But with 7.1 million folks here in the bayarea and only a hand full of good crappie spots. even if only 25 of those 7.1 million folks showed up that would be way to many folks in one spot!:yikes I always think twice about giving out a current report. and never give out exact locations over the internet.

huntinslabs
12-01-2012, 03:33 PM
I welcome the change for numerous reasons. One everyone seems to be missing is the more members the better and more sponsorship and adds Slab will get. Which will help maintain and grow this site to something of unbelievable proportions.We have great sponsors now and good contests. Imagine what that could grow to if the numbers grew by 10x which I feel is a low number. Heck we might some day be submitting a picture to win a Ranger boat instead of some Roadrunners and a hat. I know longshot right, but think about it, reality says a trolling motor or nice GPS/Depthfinder. But also would like to see private rooms also made available to supportors.

beagle man
12-01-2012, 04:00 PM
I still don't care, but in the spirit of friendship and being a good ole boy, I say everyone send me there exact hot spot fishing areas, gps, brush, stake beds, best times, I will sort through them, catalog same, and then post them when I and after I have fished them, to make sure they are really hot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

remember folks this site was started to help people help people to catch and enjoy crappie fishing, just post your day on the water, I use to hate them lurkers, but I have grown to like them and even like to help them catch crappie,,,, in the wise words of Willie Nelson............. never mind somebody rolled him up and smoked him.............

snake River
12-01-2012, 04:16 PM

I am behind you 100% slab.

CrappieFlopper
12-01-2012, 06:44 PM
I have not had much time for fishing this past year, I have been tied up with my parents for I am the only child. They are old and have many medical problems.So I have not had a lot of input on the boards.But I go to the boards and look at the post. I enjoy the Mississippi board and look forward to meeting some of the Guys. and the guys here in Alabama and fishing with and against them. What I look for on the boards that I look at are different styles of fishing, location of places of businesses that provide bait tackle places to eat and overnight lodging. I am not looking for GPS coordinates or secrets. I don't always sign in sometimes I am at work and won't sign in or at home on my Kindle sitting in my recliner. I just enjoy it.I have sent PM'S and I never just chime in. If I have something to say I will say it. I am ashamed that I have not up myself to sponsor yet, this is a great site and a lot of very good people are on this site. If I can help anyone at any time I will be glad to do it. It would be my pleasure. So Slab it is up to you so do what is best for you. for me it does not matter, I will abide by the rules.

ifish4redd
12-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Great idea,go for it

big minnow
12-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Maybe they just need a place of their own!!!:Rofl:deadhorse
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/attachments/main-crappie-fishing-forum/107984d1354300564-state-forums-members-only-cdcpic.bmp.jpg

Threads:zero Post:zero
nothing by no one........ lol rotfl

arkyfisherman
12-01-2012, 09:12 PM
I say do what ever you need to do.I read alot and never sign in at all.Guess im a lurker also.People still catch fish whether they are on this site or not.And most of the times when you post if you're not in the right group nobody comments anyway.Most guys and gals learn about the site by the crappie.com stickers anyway.

BarryG
12-01-2012, 09:30 PM
sounds good Ed!

RetiredRR
12-01-2012, 09:43 PM
I joined the first day I came on this site. I was absolutely interested in Crappie fishing. If it would have cost me to join, I would have. This was the single most, best site I had found that was family oriented. It was what I was looking for after belonging to a couple other sites. Shortly after, I became a supporting member, I wanted to help keep this site on line. This is one, if not the best, fishing site on line. There will always be people that want to put in nothing, but "gleen" from the wealth of information...

Exactly what I did. I'm a crappie.com supporter because it's too good not to be a part of if your really into crappie fishing. The dues are cheap.
I like it because it's interactive info sharing and interesting. My lifetime membership to Crappie World was more expensive and I don't think it's worth
complaining about when I don't get my issues. Got several Bassin World issues, but nothing from Crappie World. I just wrote them off and will not
waste my time harrassing them for my subscription. I haven't gotten one yet that wasn't trashed and torn up anyway. Not worth looking back and
crying over a bad experience for me. Kind of like the Texas State Decals I paid for and never got..........but a fellow member kicked in and donated
some to me and I appreciated it very much. I'm not loosing any sleep, but I do know who I'll do business with and who I won't. My experience with
ordering jig heads and jigs has been very good and they are better products than I can purchase anywhere else. Overall experience with this site
has been a winning experience and if it changes and I can learn to stay up with the technology, I'll stay active, if not...........no sweat, I'll just
enjoy what I can and keep on learning and fishing. Life is too short ~ get out there and catch some fish while your still able. Look at grandpa and
ask yourself, how much longer do I have to fish before I can't go anymore? My worn out parts try to stop me at times, but I ain't givin' up yet.

gcromer
12-01-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm for it, SC first.

SeaRay

Turtlebait
12-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Lol most members don't share with each other now,they learned that lession the hard way.
Guess we need to start shooting the guys with spy glasses watching your every move or put in jail for stalking while on the water.But wait if they are members its ok lol......its called greed.

bflowers
12-01-2012, 10:29 PM

I did as you and I agree but I think it should be up to Slab he has the figures and he knows if it will help the forum grow or if it will hurt.
Slab has done a great job with Crappie. com it is the best.

tight_knot
12-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Although I am a very new member I believe this sight to be top notch or i wouldn't have joined but I lurked around a while to discover this. With that said I believe Slab and others have done a wonderful job to make this site what it is and I am sure that I'll enjoy it no matter what the out come might be. I understand both sides.

smokercraft
12-02-2012, 10:02 AM
6927 views 190 replies lol cant stop the lurkers

Hatchetjack
12-02-2012, 10:30 AM
I have enjoyed following this tread over the past few days and have discovered I was not aware, or had considered many of the points made by previous posters. I am new to crappie fishing this year and found Crappie.com through a web search. It didn't take long to figure out this was a sight worth joining, so I signed up . I have not posted much as I feel I have little of value to add (yet). I have spent many enjoyable evenings reading the various threads and learned quite a bit and have really been bitten by the bug. So much so, that my kayak will soon be supplemented with a Gheenoe and Johnson motor next week! Paddling does have it's limits.............While a previous poster made the point that asking questions helps others, I have found most of my questions had been previously addressed and a little bit of "work" resulted in information I might not have found otherwise. I believe it has been a worthwhile investment of my time. In any event, I have come to the conclusion that a "members only" section would not be a bad thing. Especially since there is so much information here already to everyone. Why not an enhanced section for posters who have put the time in to figure out their local fishing spots? Besides, in my limited experience, I'm not convinced that knowing the exact location/baits used would guarantee success anyway! There is a certain amount of enjoyment to be had by figuring things out, and I suspect the lurcker contingent has a high turn over rate. There will always be those that want to find an easy way to do things. There will also be those who will invest the time and contribute on a regular basis. I further suspect that the latter group will find the old timers on this site willing to share some of their secrets due to ones sweat equity.
This thread has prompted me become a supporting member. I find Crappie.com to be a wealth of information, and while I may not be a slab master yet, I would like to contribute a a site that I look forward to visiting on a daily basis.

BigRiverMarine
12-02-2012, 10:55 AM
One more comment to the never ending thread. ;-)

I'm sure what I'm about to say has all been said, but I'm not gonna read almost 200 posts to find out!!! Lol

Being a member has a definite advantage. When a member, even if you don't post much, other active members learn who you are and are much more likely to give you lake and fishing information that they wouldn't post because its considered personal and private information to them. Most folks here do have their secrets that they won't post on the board, but will share with another member through PM's, phone calls, texts, emails, and such.

I think by making lurkers join, you're actually HELPING them to learn more about crappie fishing and techniques on a more personal level from other members, and by helping them meet more fishing buddies, and new friends!!! It's a Win-Win!!!!!

It also gives you a way to swap trips with people from other parts of the country!!!!

Big River Marine
Bill Burnett
870-635-0202

We sell XPRESS, EXCEL, and ALWELD Boats. Yamaha, Suzuki, Evinrude, Mud Buddy, and Tohatsu/Nissan Engines.
Pro Staff, Southern Pro Tackle and Ozark Rods.
Member, Tri-State Crappie Anglers

burdawg
12-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Slab, first off-you run a great site and I have enjoyed it for a long time. Thanks for the hard work. As far as this thread is concerned, I would like to see this implemented. For too long, we have allowed the takers to enjoy the benefits without sharing in any responsibility. I always want to give more than I take in anything I'm involved with but unfortunately most people today are not wired that way. We have some great folks on the SC board but a lot of us have tired of doing all the pulling. Just my .02-----thanks again for giving us a chance to share our opinions

Timk
12-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me !!!!!!!!!!

S10CHEVY
12-02-2012, 06:59 PM
After some more thinking, instead of locking up all the state boards, or adding another section to them that is locked up, why not make one new forum, that is strictly for posting everybody's fishing reports in. Maybe this would appease everyone. Then again, maybe I'm missing some of the point of the complaint, but locking up multiple sections, is that a good thing?

river scum
12-02-2012, 07:11 PM
:ThumbsUp there ya go!

ShootnDocks
12-02-2012, 07:44 PM
I agree that it would probably bring about more posts concerning catches and info on them. Limiting to number of posts seems counter productive thoiugh as how to post if locked from the forums. I haven't posted a lot because I don't get to go fishing very often but enjoy reading posts from others that do get to go. Anway its not something that can't be reversed later.

Chucker
12-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Ed:
You need to do what ever you think is best for the site. I will support you, what ever that is.
This site is the best for all worlds :ie For Members and Non-members.
No other fishing site can compare!!

Slab
12-02-2012, 08:32 PM
I have not had much time for fishing this past year, I have been tied up with my parents for I am the only child. They are old and have many medical problems.So I have not had a lot of input on the boards.But I go to the boards and look at the post. I enjoy the Mississippi board and look forward to meeting some of the Guys. and the guys here in Alabama and fishing with and against them. What I look for on the boards that I look at are different styles of fishing, location of places of businesses that provide bait tackle places to eat and overnight lodging. I am not looking for GPS coordinates or secrets. I don't always sign in sometimes I am at work and won't sign in or at home on my Kindle sitting in my recliner. I just enjoy it.I have sent PM'S and I never just chime in. If I have something to say I will say it. I am ashamed that I have not up myself to sponsor yet, this is a great site and a lot of very good people are on this site. If I can help anyone at any time I will be glad to do it. It would be my pleasure. So Slab it is up to you so do what is best for you. for me it does not matter, I will abide by the rules.

First off, there is no reason to be ashamed. Yes, becoming a Supporter or a Sponsor does help with the site costs but that's not why I added those options. They came about via "member requests". Members wanted to advertise their companies, and the only way to do it without the site becoming nothing but spam was to allow it in their signatures (and it's only fair if they pay for advertising). And since the ads helped pay for the running of the site, members volunteered monetary support to not see them. This has been a grass roots site all along. In fact we need to thank our moderators the most. I never would have added any forums unless we had a member volunteer to moderate it.

I've been reading and thinking about all your feedback. A couple things really hit home. "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" is one of them. But I also see that there is a lot of support for having a private area.

If I create a "Members Only" area for members to post "slightly more detailed" fishing reports, I'm afraid some members might make all their posts there, and disregard the current forums. So I don't really want to "break" what we already have. I just want to add to it.

I am willing to trial something like this. I create a Members Only Lake Reports forum, as a sub-forum of a state forum. But only those detailed reports would be allowed there. No OT, and no general fishing info. We have other forums for that. And anything that is not considered a "detailed report" will be moved out. The problem with this is, it needs to be watched closely.

Huh, as I write this, I kinda came up with a solution for it having to be watched closely. Maybe the the threads in this forum all have to be "moderated" first. That means that the moderator of that forum has to approve it before it gets posted. So if it's not a fishing report, it does not even get posted. Hmmm

In other words, I change nothing on the site. I only add a Members Only Area (for states that request it), where only detailed fishing reports are allowed. All threads started there have to be approved by the moderator before members can see it. After approval, members can post to that thread without needing further approval.

And I do think it's a good idea to have a minimum number of posts before you can participate in this area. Someone mentioned that it is actually beneficial to that new member, to kinda break the ice and get those new members involved in our great site.

So, all said and done, we got till Jan 1st to figure out more details. Great feedback, great minds, and great members, all right here on Crappie.com. I just thought I'd give you some return feedback as to what I was thinking.

Oh, someone mentioned bigger prizes, I think it was Huntinslabs. I do have some bigger prizes line up for 2013. We have some new sponsors I'll introduce later. I think you're going to like it. 2013 is going to be a good year here.

boc kennels
12-02-2012, 08:48 PM
I guess I am guilty for lurking around the site without signing in. I started crappie fishing with my son a couple years ago and an old high school friend and have become a crappie addict.There are not many days go by that I don't at least take a look at my states site to see if anyone's catching some even if I can't go that week I enjoy the stories and pictures. I have picked up quite a bit off the site that was referred to me by a member and friend. I have noticed from the time I started getting on the site until now it seems like there aren't as many reports. I really appreciate the information I have found on the site and look forward to continuing using it even if I have to sign in.

Shellback
12-03-2012, 07:17 AM
First off, there is no reason to be ashamed. Yes, becoming a Supporter or a Sponsor does help with the site costs but that's not why I added those options. They came about via "member requests". Members wanted to advertise their companies, and the only way to do it without the site becoming nothing but spam was to allow it in their signatures (and it's only fair if they pay for advertising). And since the ads helped pay for the running of the site, members volunteered monetary support to not see them. This has been a grass roots site all along. In fact we need to thank our moderators the most. I never would have added any forums unless we had a member volunteer to moderate it.

I've been reading and thinking about all your feedback. A couple things really hit home. "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" is one of them. But I also see that there is a lot of support for having a private area.

If I create a "Members Only" area for members to post "slightly more detailed" fishing reports, I'm afraid some members might make all their posts there, and disregard the current forums. So I don't really want to "break" what we already have. I just want to add to it.

I am willing to trial something like this. I create a Members Only Lake Reports forum, as a sub-forum of a state forum. But only those detailed reports would be allowed there. No OT, and no general fishing info. We have other forums for that. And anything that is not considered a "detailed report" will be moved out. The problem with this is, it needs to be watched closely.

Huh, as I write this, I kinda came up with a solution for it having to be watched closely. Maybe the the threads in this forum all have to be "moderated" first. That means that the moderator of that forum has to approve it before it gets posted. So if it's not a fishing report, it does not even get posted. Hmmm

In other words, I change nothing on the site. I only add a Members Only Area (for states that request it), where only detailed fishing reports are allowed. All threads started there have to be approved by the moderator before members can see it. After approval, members can post to that thread without needing further approval.

And I do think it's a good idea to have a minimum number of posts before you can participate in this area. Someone mentioned that it is actually beneficial to that new member, to kinda break the ice and get those new members involved in our great site.

So, all said and done, we got till Jan 1st to figure out more details. Great feedback, great minds, and great members, all right here on Crappie.com. I just thought I'd give you some return feedback as to what I was thinking.

Oh, someone mentioned bigger prizes, I think it was Huntinslabs. I do have some bigger prizes line up for 2013. We have some new sponsors I'll introduce later. I think you're going to like it. 2013 is going to be a good year here.

Sounds good to me. If you want your post only to be seen only by registered members, it will take a little extra effort on your part. For those who like to share with all, nothing changes.

STUMP HUNTER
12-03-2012, 07:47 AM

Slab I have seen this posted by a few members and I have to say "It is Broke" on a lot of state forums (including S.C.) because most members that use to post great fishing (including myself) reports have gotten tired of seeing there fishing area over fished because of those that read and never - never post or give back to this great site. As a moderator of the South Carolina forum I think you have a great idea for the private "detailed" members only report section and the SC forum from the feedback I have seen would embrace a private report section and I'm not talking about a report that reads "I went fishing and caught 8 fish", we have to many of these reports so I think a approved 'report thread' would help keep the Private Section a fishing report section.

Ed, thank you for your time you put into Crappie.com and for always trying to make this a better site.

bowhunter012463
12-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Thanks slab, I think its been along time coming. A friend and I was just talking about this very thing the other day.

Fatman
12-03-2012, 10:30 AM
As Ed said in a earlier post "lurkers" may not be lurkers!! How many "Members" can't log into the site from work??? But being able to just view lists you as a guest. I know it's Ed's site but I really think the guys griping the most have this illusion that they somehow own the water they fish.

Even Bassmaster magazines a day on the water only lists Lake X!!! Why can't everyone here do that?? You can list all the details you want but just say Lake or Pond X, I hardly get to fish for crappie unless my nephew gets his boat out to go to Champlain, but I have been given a location to fish for them which is close to my home, and which I won't reveal as I promised I wouldn't. But I like to read about the techniques people used to catch them, not for the location.

Would I like to fish some southern waters for crappie YEP!!! but doubt I'll ever get there to try. I truly think some people will leave if this changes. And one other point I made in my original post "Where does it end", if someone wants another area locked off??

MThook
12-03-2012, 11:34 AM
I guess my posts most often are off topic because I fish for Stripers not for Crappie and live in NC but fish in SC. I enjoy the information I find here (SC Board) and try to add info as I have it. Since I don't have much to offer the Crappie guys I can't/won't vote on the changes because it could drop me from viewing the board living in NC
I've enjoyed the board for many years and want to Thank everyone that does post their reports. Looking forward to see how this pans out.

barrelslime
12-03-2012, 03:18 PM
I say make the State Forums Private. Regardless if the Search Engine doesnt work.

CROPEE7
12-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Slab: This is a truly well thought out solution. As a one-time full detail poster turned lurker, I was tired of the members who whined about detailed reports ruining their spots and lakes. That coupled with the "picture police" that suggested you were lying without yet another picture of a garage floor full of more dead crappie. I would hope that a detailed fishing report will require more than just another picture of dead crappie. Now we will see who truly wants to share fishing information and who just wants to brag about their catch.

"G"
12-03-2012, 04:08 PM
I guess my posts most often are off topic because I fish for Stripers not for Crappie and live in NC but fish in SC. I enjoy the information I find here (SC Board) and try to add info as I have it. Since I don't have much to offer the Crappie guys I can't/won't vote on the changes because it could drop me from viewing the board living in NC
I've enjoyed the board for many years and want to Thank everyone that does post their reports. Looking forward to see how this pans out.
I think some of you guys are mis-understanding.....You are members here now so you will be able to see all of the state boards.......What Slab is saying is for the guests who are not members, they will not be able to see the state boards unless they join C.C

TnRidge
12-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Yes , too many lurkers who don't participate on the state forums , other than to gain specific info on lakes .

day dreamer
12-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Go for it slab

crappiefarmer
12-03-2012, 09:26 PM
If I had to choose between 10,000 lurkers VS 1000 new active members, I choose the members. I think the site would be better off for it. The ones we really want are the ones who want to participate. veteran members will try to help those active members that are not able to see the private forums yet that are really trying and not having much success. You see these people every once in a while. They stick out and Those that have always helped others here, pick up on that when someone is trying, active and needs help. what I'm saying is if You are a new member, You will get help and info and others can still PM You on a report to help You out. It will still happen like it always has. Just has to be a way to better secure the more detailed reports that some members don't want 10,000 lurkers reading.CF

Rees Guide
12-03-2012, 09:28 PM
There are a couple of theads going on on the MS boards rite now that make me wanna change my mind on this. Neon Moon has been in MS for several weeks now and is having a ball, doesnt even want to talk about where he came from. I had the pleasure today of sharing my boat with him, bite was off but it was a great day and I made a new friend. So what if we have the LURKERS, Neon's winter travels needs to be read by all, member or not. If we close the state boards to non-members then the true essence of crappie.com is pushed aside.
Just a thought Ed but I think you need to keep it in mind as you make this decision. I am with ya whatever you decide but have had a change of heart on how I feel about it.

Turtlebait
12-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Just think those 10000 more than likey buys more lures then the 1000.
Let them stay,let them learn,let them see friendly faces from board members and stop blaming the lurker.
Greedy fisherman are the worse not the lurker,how many kids are you going to lock the doors on plus more than likey the lurker buys more lures off the board then members.Makes me want to get back into bass fishing,,..

crappie&shrooms
12-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Well if nothing else this thread sure got some action going on this site. I haven' seen this many recent post on here since I have joined the site.
I guess I could be classified as one of the lurkers, but not by my choice. For the most part I don't have anything to contribute most of the time. I wish I did. Unfortunately I only get to fish 3-4 times a year if I'm lucky. Actually this past year I went twice. Once to Shelbyville and once to Ky. lake. It's sites like this that help to make my limited excursions more enjoyable. I look at this site several times a day but don't usually log on. I just look to see whats going on, what the hot baits are, and get the latest info on the new electronics. Its not like i am going to take that info and run out and clean out your secret hot spot. This site is a gold mine of information. I thought that is what this site was intended to
be. What about the sponsors? What do they want? If you start putting on too many restrictions will it get to the point that the sponsors will feel that their advertising isn't being seen. The information i gained from this site helped me decide what depth finder i bought. Has a lot to do with what jigs, lures, line i buy. Will the numbers of logged on guest
start to drop? I'm just asking questions here. Trying to get every possible scenario out in the open. Personally I think you should have to be a registered member to read any of the forum. I'm kinda neutral about having a minimum number of post to read the state forums. If someone doesn't want their info read by everyone then just don't post it. Nobody says you have to share your hot spots. Personally if I have any information to help someone catch fish or save money on purchasing a new product I want to help them.
PS: I will not share my mushroom hunting spots with. LOL.

glasseyes
12-04-2012, 05:50 AM
good point about sponsors, if I were a sponsor I don't think it would matter much to me if people were lurking or a member as long as my advertisement was being seen, I would think that's what would matter to them any way. But again I flunked buisness management any way so what do I know.

Phantom309
12-04-2012, 06:53 AM
I just gotta admit the truth = Lurkers are more apt to click something = pay the bills ...................
The site, and the sponsors ........................

NeonMoon
12-04-2012, 12:44 PM
I just gotta admit the truth = Lurkers are more apt to click something = pay the bills ...................
The site, and the sponsors ........................

Yes, but I just looked and there are 198 Members and 693 Guests on the site, over 3x the number of Members, so that makes sense.

dkb23
12-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Huh, as I write this, I kinda came up with a solution for it having to be watched closely. Maybe the the threads in this forum all have to be "moderated" first. That means that the moderator of that forum has to approve it before it gets posted. So if it's not a fishing report, it does not even get posted. Hmmm.
I like this idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Rees Guide
12-04-2012, 01:59 PM
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Slabhttp://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/232329-state-forums-members-only-post2104482.html#post2104482)Huh, as I write this, I kinda came up with a solution for it having to be watched closely. Maybe the the threads in this forum all have to be "moderated" first. That means that the moderator of that forum has to approve it before it gets posted. So if it's not a fishing report, it does not even get posted. Hmmm.

I like this idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

You like it now, the MS mods will go nuts come spring time. You'll have to triple their pay Slab!!!

Phantom309
12-04-2012, 02:01 PM
I know, when I find a forum on the internet that I'm looking for info about something,
and they require me to jump through a couple hoops (10 posts before
becoming a member, gotta sign in to see pics, receive e-mail conformation) = whatever it is,
Being bullheaded and thinkin it's the internet and I should be able to gain access = I'll jump through
a couple hoops just to satisfy my curiosity, and, If I like the place, I'll stay around.
For instance --->
(http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forum.php)
is one heck of a forum ! ! !
I joined years ago, and I'll bet I haven't made more'n 20 post through the years,
Probably don't visit but two-three times a year ....
but, I'm still a member in good standing (I just don't catch that many braggin-about cats)....
If Slab doesn't know about this forum, I would invite him to investigate it = them boys got a
real awesome site going.
And, probably a lot of members here go there too ............................
JMHO .......................................

"G"
12-04-2012, 02:07 PM
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Slabhttp://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/232329-state-forums-members-only-post2104482.html#post2104482)Huh, as I write this, I kinda came up with a solution for it having to be watched closely. Maybe the the threads in this forum all have to be "moderated" first. That means that the moderator of that forum has to approve it before it gets posted. So if it's not a fishing report, it does not even get posted. Hmmm.

You like it now, the MS mods will go nuts come spring time. You'll have to triple their pay Slab!!!

Triple pay sounds good :biggrin

Phantom309
12-04-2012, 04:26 PM
HHhhhhmmmmph ! ! !
That other site also doesn't allow posting links to other fishing forums ..........
I could infer as to being offended by this policy.
I think it's pretty silly, and petty too .......
I'm a member of a saltwater fishing forum and they don't have a problem with posting
links to different fishing forums.
What's wrong with this picture ??????????????????????????????????

MeanV2
12-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Good idea IMO!

Dan

eatinfish
12-04-2012, 07:37 PM
I would like, also!

Rees Guide
12-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Triple pay sounds good :biggrin

0+000=0000:Rofl

gotta_fish
12-04-2012, 08:40 PM
6927 views 190 replies lol cant stop the lurkers

How does the Views and Replies thing work. Ive commented on this thread 1 time well 2 times now and have opened it numorous time to keep up with it ,am I now concidered a lurker on this thread,I dont comment on every post I read because it may or may not be in an area or lake I fish in or ever will,but I love reading the post and looking at picture member have posted.The main thing is.... This is the biggest, baddest Crappie site .Thats the bottom line.Thanks Slab

feeshrman
12-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Only the state boards would require membership, so that if a person wants to, he/she can put their adventures on the main forum for everyone to see. This would be the thing to do if you are like Neon who has fished several states and wants people that he has met along the way to keep up. I still think it's a great idea.
There are a couple of theads going on on the MS boards rite now that make me wanna change my mind on this. Neon Moon has been in MS for several weeks now and is having a ball, doesnt even want to talk about where he came from. I had the pleasure today of sharing my boat with him, bite was off but it was a great day and I made a new friend. So what if we have the LURKERS, Neon's winter travels needs to be read by all, member or not. If we close the state boards to non-members then the true essence of crappie.com is pushed aside.
Just a thought Ed but I think you need to keep it in mind as you make this decision. I am with ya whatever you decide but have had a change of heart on how I feel about it.

Slab
12-04-2012, 09:03 PM
HHhhhhmmmmph ! ! !
That other site also doesn't allow posting links to other fishing forums ..........
I could infer as to being offended by this policy.
I think it's pretty silly, and petty too .......
I'm a member of a saltwater fishing forum and they don't have a problem with posting
links to different fishing forums.
What's wrong with this picture ??????????????????????????????????

Sorry about that. I would not really have a problem linking to saltwater fishing sites. But I've had too many occasions where people try to use our site here as a launch pad for their own fishing forum site (or jig making forum site), and that just takes away from this site. It makes no sense to allow it, and fragment the community. Many other (if not most) sites do not allow this as well. So, even though it would likely be OK to link to some of these other fishing websites like BBC or saltwater fishing, as a rule we don't allow linking to other fishing forums sites, and I thank my mods for enforcing such.

Phantom309
12-05-2012, 05:40 AM
Sorry about that. I would not really have a problem linking to saltwater fishing sites. But I've had too many occasions where people try to use our site here as a launch pad for their own fishing forum site (or jig making forum site), and that just takes away from this site. It makes no sense to allow it, and fragment the community. Many other (if not most) sites do not allow this as well. So, even though it would likely be OK to link to some of these other fishing websites like BBC or saltwater fishing, as a rule we don't allow linking to other fishing forums sites, and I thank my mods for enforcing such.

I don't like it, but, I understand ................................. (sort of) ........................................

yankee doodler
12-05-2012, 07:19 AM
Really doesn't matter much to me the more I think on it. As long as I know who's having camp where and when so I can go there and meet all the "experts" in person and "wine and dine" their coordinates out of them. Some day I'm gonna grow up and be just like Neon. :cheers2

NeonMoon
12-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Some day I'm gonna grow up and be just like Neon. :cheers2

You'd be goin' in reverse :Rofl

Slab
12-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Really doesn't matter much to me the more I think on it. As long as I know who's having camp where and when so I can go there and meet all the "experts" in person and "wine and dine" their coordinates out of them. Some day I'm gonna grow up and be just like Neon. :cheers2

Members (that's you Yankee D) would be able to see everything anyway. Absolutely nothing changes for members.

CrappiePappy
12-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Boss .... I say try it out on Va, Ms, Sc, and maybe one other state where there's been heavy debate over whether to post "reports" (w/specific info). Let it run for a month & then revisit this topic, and see if there's been any substantial improvement or change in these state forums, as it relates to this "problem". Only a trial/test period will tell if hiding info from "lurkers" will improve the situation, or have little to no effect. :twocents

I take it that any member viewing these "locked out" state forums, would have to be logged in before they could view those affected state forums ... since the site would recognize them as "guests" (or "lurkers", if you will), if they aren't signed in. :Doh:

... cp :kewl

Lkconwayguru
12-05-2012, 10:24 AM
100 percent for it, Try it on the Arkansas forum. I know of several people that just open the Arkansas forum to see where the fish are biting, and have never joined or posted.

crappie&shrooms
12-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Boss .... I say try it out on Va, Ms, Sc, and maybe one other state where there's been heavy debate over whether to post "reports" (w/specific info). Let it run for a month & then revisit this topic, and see if there's been any substantial improvement or change in these state forums, as it relates to this "problem". Only a trial/test period will tell if hiding info from "lurkers" will improve the situation, or have little to no effect. :twocents

I take it that any member viewing these "locked out" state forums, would have to be logged in before they could view those affected state forums ... since the site would recognize them as "guests" (or "lurkers", if you will), if they aren't signed in. :Doh:

... cp :kewl

That word " Lurker " just doesn't seem to fit does it. I think the word guest fits and sounds much better.
If you are in a restaurant or office and pick up a newspaper and read it, for your enjoyment and to gain knowledge, does that make you a lurker? If you go on line and read the news are you a LURKER? I don't see either one of those scenarios much different than logging on here to read the daily post and threads. Myself, 90% of the time when I am on here, it is as a GUEST, just for the fact that I don't usually log in.
I don't think adding more restrictions, giving the mods more work to do trying to govern every post is a solution.
It is a real simple solution that every individual can control.
If you don't want your post read, DON"T POST IT"
*&*# don't post something on a forum then WHINE because someone reads it. ????????

keeferfish
12-05-2012, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=crappie&shrooms;2107501]That word " Lurker " just doesn't seem to fit does it. I think the word guest fits and sounds much better.
QUOTE]

How about Undocumented Member????:Rofl

crappie&shrooms
12-05-2012, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=crappie&shrooms;2107501]That word " Lurker " just doesn't seem to fit does it. I think the word guest fits and sounds much better.
QUOTE]

How about Undocumented Member????:Rofl

LOL. Yea that works too.
If ILLEGAL immigrants have rights, surely us lowly Undocumented members should too. LOL.
Dang I think I have had too much coffee this morning.
Sorry. This is just in fun, hope nobody is offended by this.

Daily fishin
12-05-2012, 01:32 PM
OK, here is another attempt at decifering this. I think there are people that want to share what they know and where they go. When they don't want that information out there, obviously they keep it to themselves. The issue they have (and I'm only speculating here as I don't have much to share yet) is they want a little courtesy. I see this in the form of being up front in garnering the information. Let me see if I can clarify this. Lets say I'm chatting with "Bill" about fishing in Crappielake. He gives me some information as to where there were fish yesterday. I thank "Bill" for the info. He knows that I have this information and wish to use it. "Jimbobjoe" (hope thats no one here) is eaves dropping (not logged in or registered) and decides to also try out the spot, possibly at the same time (dangit). All of that is fine BUT, the courteous thing for Jimbobjoe to do would be to also acknowledge the fact that he has garnered the information for his own use and also thank the poster. And last but not least, post what he has achieved from that information, i.e. pictures, reports etc.

So its not about cutting out or omitting anyone or violating their rights or peeing in their cheerios. I think some guys would appreciate a little courtesy.

Just my :twocents again.

Daily fishin

Tell me I'm wrong! I dare you :hatchet:
:welcome

Dave and Lynn
12-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Ok my 2 cents. Lets say I am on the lake at my SECRET SPOT. Catching one right after another. People pass by seeing me pulling in fish. They know my spot. That is how they know. I post just about every time I am out and I am sure no one has caught fish because of my post. People see me fishing as I do others and try my spots. So people reading my post just know if the fish were biting that day or not. And the information is only as good as the fisherman is. I read a post yesterday about a man catching 12 in 1/2 hour at a lake I will fish this weekend. He did not give specifics of were just in shallow water around brush piles. I bet there are a couple of thousand spots on that lake like that. I have yet to see coordinates on any post. So I dont really see the concern about people fishing what you would call your spot or your lake. I joined this site to communicate with fellow crappie fishermen. If there in my SECRET SPOT it is time to find a new one. They didnt find it on crappie.com They just heard the fish were biting and seen be pulling them in.

STUMP HUNTER
12-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Some of y'all just don't get what this is about. This is not about where you are fishing or your so called "spot" this is about Crappie.com members sharing enough details about their fishing trip to really help other members to be able to go to a lake and and use your information to catch fish. Water depths, bait depths, bait used, jig colors, water colors, water temps, what depths the fish are holding, were you fishing flats, channels, trees, stumps or other structure. For the ones that never gives a fishing report y'all are just takers any way you look at it but, there are good crappie fisherman on this site that will help everyone become a better fisherman but it is nice to receive some information back. Members have stopped giving detailed fishing reports because of being told by none members that they read "our" fishing reports to see where to go fish and why should they put any time on the water looking for the fish when all they have to do is come to Crappie.com and see where the reports are from. If you are just a reader than you are part of the problem, try giving back a little! My :twocents

NeonMoon
12-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Snipped-
"Jimbobjoe" (hope thats no one here) is eaves dropping (not logged in or registered) and decides to also try out the spot, possibly at the same time (dammit). All of that is fine BUT, the courteous thing for Jimbobjoe to do would be to also acknowledge the fact that he has garnered the information for his own use and also thank the poster. And last but not least, post what he has achieved from that information, i.e. pictures, reports etc.

But Jimbabjoe wasn't a Registered Member when he read the shared info to begin with. He's not going to join "after" the fact to thank someone or post any info of his own, he's a taker, not a giver. If he were interested in being a Registered (participating) Member, he'd have done it before now.

Ever hear that "why by the cow if the milk's free" saying?:cheers2

ETA: Look how many are in and out of here only to post something for sale on Classifieds, or try to pimp a product or site. Many won't even be a Supporter let-alone a Sponsor. Register, post, and gone. Many with 1 post in Classifieds include their email/phone number so they don't even have to bother coming back here.

EnonEye
12-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Excellent idea Slab, shut it down for non-members... after all it costs zero dollars to join and takes all of 5 minutes or less so how much easier can it get. I for one would be much more wiling to give detailed reports, now if I can just figure out how to post pics... thanx

Speck
12-06-2012, 10:00 AM
may i suggest the great state of mississippi for beta testing during the month of december? We would be proud to serve as the test mule for the possible change.:biggrin

x2

Jdkxtreme
12-06-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm new and I am more of a giver than a taker. I joined to learn to fish. I'm 38 and way past being a child over a few fish. No one around me fishes so I am learning as I go. I go out almost everyday and drown minnows with little to no luck. I have caught 3 crappie in 3 months. I will gladly give what ever I can. I have not and will not ask anyone for certain spots. I will ask what I need to do and what to look for. And I will take anyone fishing as long as they tell me where to go..HaHa. It's all new to me

NeonMoon
12-06-2012, 04:44 PM
And I will take anyone fishing as long as they tell me where to go.

I get told all the time where to go......still waiting for a location related to fishing (and a bit cooler).

Welcome by the way!

Slab
12-06-2012, 04:58 PM
May I suggest the great state of Mississippi for Beta testing during the month of December? We would be proud to serve as the test mule for the possible change.

I'm not changing anything till after the first of the year. This is a time for thought, discussion, and celebration with family. :biggrin

And right now I'm leaning on testing with a new state forum (for "detailed fishing reports") that only Members can post to (or view) which is moderated (new threads will have to be approved before they can be seen). That's the thinking right now. Now lets continue our discussion.

Crappie 1
12-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Good deal Ed..."Your the man" lol

Daily fishin
12-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Discussion? I'm just trying to boost my post counts! :Rofl