Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A question regarding deer hunting

Post Thanks / Like

Default A question regarding deer hunting

one of my favorite places to deer hunt is an archery only conservation area in callaway county. but I gun hunt on private land. well, this year during firearms season I just couldn't find any "hotspots" of deer activity on private ground but some of my public spots were hot. several times I had considered bowhunting the conservation area during rifle season rather than hunting with a gun. I would have if I knew it were legal. I know I can use my bow during gun season with a firearms tag, but can I hunt an archery only conservation when archery season is technicaly not open? and if so, would it be legal to use a cross bow on archery only public land during this time?
    thanks, Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Most "archery only" areas are open during the firearms season. You must have a firearm permit, but you may only use archery methods. A crossbow is not considered an archery method. You can go to our Conservation atlas and look up specific information for the areas you hunt. Conservation Atlas | Main Search | Atlas Database version 2.0

Post Thanks / Like

Good question, and good answer

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the answer, this is pretty much what I figured, but I thought I would ask. most folks I talk to think I am nutzo for wanting to hunt public land when I have land of my own with food plots and good cover. but my 40 acres and 1/2 acre food plots do not compare to what the conservation department has for done for us on some our public tracts. ya'all that work for MDC do a fine job!

Post Thanks / Like

And ALWAYS wear the required amounts of blaze orange during firearm season when bow hunting.
    Good question and answer. Thanks for both.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

It may be helpful to interpret the regulations in pieces. For instance, (1) the methods allowed for an area are the methods, regardless of season. (2) The season being hunted has specific methods allowed for it. If the area allows archery, and archery methods are allowed during firearms season, than you are in the clear as long as you hunt with a permit that is “in season”, unless further restricted by area/season rules.

When determining how/when/where you can hunt in relation to this question focus on these things:

1. Does the location allow the method?: If archery methods are allowed on that area, you can hunt archery methods during any season the method is allowed. Since archery (long, compound, recurved bows, atlatl) is a “method” listed during firearms season, than you are good there unless other regulations prohibit further.

1. Are you in season?: This boils down to the permit you are hunting on and the methods allowed for that season. If you intend to hunt with archery methods during the firearms season, when archery season is closed, you need firearms permits. As above, various methods are allowed during firearms season, including bows, etc.

-Dan Schepis
    Conservation Agent- Clay County
    This information is not from the Wildlife Code of Missouri and is solely intended to assist hunters determine when, where, and how, they may hunt as it pertains to CA’s. All legal inquiries should be directed to the Wildlife Code of Missouri for the current year.