Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hook color question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hook color question

I always use Matzuo Bronze sickle jig hooks but was getting ready to order some more heads and noticed they also have Red and Black Chrome Matzuo sickles as well.

What's some of y'alls opinions on the red and black hooks? It's probably a personal preference thing but I'm always looking for an edge!
    -LP

2007 Skeeter ZX-20 Bay / Yamaha 150 VMax
    Lowrance HDS-8, 7, & 5 with LSS-1

Post Thanks / Like

Also have gold. The bronze tend to rust really quick. And once the red is rubbed of the hooks there gold. My choice is Black Nickel.

Post Thanks / Like

The one I like least is Bronze just because if you let any moisture stay on them in the box they will rust. I probably like the Black best and they don't have near as much rust trouble. I have never found a Red hook I liked just because the Red comes of so fast and your left with just a Gold hook, but nothing wrong with Gold hoohs though and I have some of them.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been using anything but Red because the Bronze rusts so quick but next time I order it's going to be the black. Supposed to resist corrosion better. We shall see.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

i prefer the black chrome sickle hooks but use them all
    Crappie Logic - (662) 418-2038

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bunch of the red ones, and some bronze from jigs in the material swap box. I've been hearing lots of good things about the new Eagle Claw Black pearl hooks but I know alot of folks aren't going to want them as they're not sickles. Gonna get some on order.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Fatman black pearl where can you order these?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys, think I'll try the black ones since the red doesn't seem to be very good at retaining it's color.
    -LP

2007 Skeeter ZX-20 Bay / Yamaha 150 VMax
    Lowrance HDS-8, 7, & 5 with LSS-1

Post Thanks / Like

Thing that puzzles me is they say use red line (Cajun Red) because the color red disappears in the water and fish can't see it. Then they want to sell me a bait with red hooks so it looks like a bleeding bait with the red hooks. Somebody's lying.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRay View Post
    Thing that puzzles me is they say use red line (Cajun Red) because the color red disappears in the water and fish can't see it. Then they want to sell me a bait with red hooks so it looks like a bleeding bait with the red hooks. Somebody's lying.
    The reasoning here (and it's far from a proven fact) is that line is translucent, letting light pass through. Hooks on the other hand are opaque and reflect the light put upon them. The other thing you might want to consider is that red is almost universally used in most fish catching patterns. Do I use red hooks? I don't focus as much on red hooks when fishing panfish. I prefer the black chrome because of it's rust resistance. However, I wouldn't hesitate to use a jig head with a red hook, as I'm a firm believer in it's effectiveness for smallmouth bass & walleye. But with panfish, it's not really anything that would turn the tables in my favor - in my opinion.

Now, line....I don't use red line. Only because I've never found a better line than Trilene XL, when it comes to panfishing with 2# & 4# test. It just has better casting and strength characteristics that have proven itself over many, many years of fishing. A friend of mine tried fishing with 4# test red line. He got so frustrated with it, due to it's lack of limpness and casting ability, that he switched it while fishing with me one day, in the middle of the day! Maybe there is a decent red line out there. Not sure, but I like what I use.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."