Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cane Condos

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cane Condos

I've noticed that when I put in a cane condo with green leaves it attracts and holds fish right away. But I've noticed that after they lose their leaves and brown I don't do nearly as good on them.

Does anybody else have the same thing happen to them. I'll still build them but I'm going to keep putting in brush also.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit
    I've noticed that when I put in a cane condo with green leaves it attracts and holds fish right away. But I've noticed that after they lose their leaves and brown I don't do nearly as good on them.

Does anybody else have the same thing happen to them. I'll still build them but I'm going to keep putting in brush also.
    i've noticed the same thing. i have made some beds from bamboo by removing the limbs and leaves. they did not work well until i put small brush around the bases of the beds. i plan to make several this week out of bamboo and cane and plan to leave all the limbs and leaves on them. i have also had good luck with putting canes into old brushtops that have partially rotted away. catchum.

Post Thanks / Like

put out some new beds yesterday. heat almost got me. i found some real bamboo growing on the bank of a rivershoot that i cut into lengths long enough to drive into the bottom. i used the bamboo stalks as a "pen" to hold everything else in place. i put switch canes and brush in the pen i had made from the bamboo. the bamboo and canes still had all the leaves and limbs on them when i put them out. green tops cut off the bank worked well, since they were heavy enough to partially sink on their own. all the beds were put around or in existing tops that have been good producers lately. water was shallow, from 8 to 10 feet, since these old river shoots are silting in. hope all this work will pay off this fall. catch a lot of crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bamboo

The same thing happened on mine. I may try to put more pieces of bamboo in the next ones to provide more structure once the leaves shed.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

How long after the leaves fall off, Does it take for the fish to move back to them?
    Looks like it would not be worth it. Unless the fish do use the other also.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I put two out last weekend as well. I have had some out for over 2 years and they still produce fish. I haven't had any problems out of the structure. Now, some produce better than others, but I think that has to do with the location. I made 5 that are about 6' yesterday. I used rubbermaid containers as a form to hold the concrete. I hope to get these out this week. I am looking for a place on the bank to make the large condos. Carry everything and build them in the woods. I can only carry one large one in my boat at a time, so if I could build several of them and have them waiting on me, it would be much more effecient.
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

It may just be my choice of locations. I do know of several cane condos that are a few years old and still produce a few nice slabs everytime they are fished.
    CATCH A BIG-UN