Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question about reel for jig pole

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about reel for jig pole

Hey All,

I've been a member for over a year or so, but never post--just read and learn what I can from others' experience. I am about to order a jig pole--either the Ozark 10' or the Sam Heaton SS 10'. I won't go with the rear reel seat, because I want to be able to place my rig in a rod holder. Therefore, the standard mount is what I need. I have never seen one of these jig poles in person, so my question is, what type of reel do I need? Are the eyes on these rods mounted on top, like a typical casting rod, or are they underneath, like a spinning outfit? I know a small, inexpensive reel is all I need, mainly for the purpose of holding line, and then a limited amount of actually reeling, but I'm not sure what kind I need. I have a couple older Zebco ultra-light spin cast reels that would be perfect if that is the style needed for these rods. Just not sure where the reel mounts--on top, like a typical baitcaster or spincast reel, or on bottom, like a spinning reel. I would probably just pick up a cheap Zebco triggerspin/underspin if it requires a spinning-type setup. Thanks for any feedback.

Al

Post Thanks / Like

They mount on the bottom like a spinning reel. However I use small baitcast reels on my vertical jigging poles and spinning reels on my jig and bobber or bobber and minnow poles. I don't troll but if I ever get into it I think baitcast would be the way I go on there too. Your correct though the reel is mainly just a line holder you don't use it very much with jig poles. I like baitcast because it makes it easier on me to pull line for depth and be able to keep up with it and they have a good drag for when a big catfish, buffalo, drum, bowfin, or bass decide they want to stretch your string.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I like bait casting reels with thumb bars.....its easier to bring a fish in with when you have a short amount of line out...you can hit the thumb bar as you raise the pole up and lower the fish so that you can swing them right in the boat. Grizzly Jig has some for about $25.00 www.grizzlyjig.com I am using Shakesphere baitcasters....low profile with thumb bar.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use spinning reels in the 2000 series for the larger spool. Line memory follows the size of the spool it is stored on and UL reels create a tight coil in the line. With heavy jigs this isn't an issue as the line is pulled straight by the weight of the jig. However, with small jigs the line stays coiled like a pigs tail and absorbs some of the thump when a fish hits, or helps you miss the strike when the bite is very light. Hence, the bigger the coil, the less of the thump is absorbed. The 2000 series. or something with a spool that size has worked very well for me. Just my opinion. The Diawa Sweepfire reel is way less than $20 and does a fine job for me. Baitcasters do well for some applications, but the spinners are the most versatile.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Baitcasters with thumb bar 100%.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Always shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll still be among the stars.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always had great success with Shimano and when I found the IX1000 for $11/each with free shipping, picked up 6. Recently bought 6 crossfire 1500's for $60. Just look around, deals are out there

Post Thanks / Like

I have all spinning reels on mine except for one. I have a baitcaster on it and I like the spinning reels better but it comes down to what you like. You can use either on both of those rods. I have two 10' Ozark rods, one with rear seat and one regular. I love the one with the rear seat. It is light with good backbone and one of my favorite rods. The regular one feels alot heavier. I thought they may have sent me the wrong rod because they have a heavy jigging rod but when I looked up the numbers on my rod it was the regular jig rod. It is to heavy for my liking and for that reason I would go with the Sam Heaton if you want the longer handle. I orderd the two Ozarks at the same time and wish I would have got both with the rear seat.

Post Thanks / Like

Daiwa Sweepfire 2500 spinning reels. They can be had for about $15 and have a drag that's good enough to land a big catfish if you snag into one. I'm on the third year with mine and cannot complain for the price.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Sounds like I have some flexibility--I just need to find what works best for me. Much appreciated.