Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: optimax. I don't get more serious than this.

Post Thanks / Like

Default optimax. I don't get more serious than this.

I can't remember who said it..........but some one said that trolling with an optimax was either bad or no good for the motor... Is this a fact???If so, I need to see something else here on the web that tells me so. Not trying to doubt anyone, but I spent a lot on this motor, and if it is not going to do what I want it to, time to do something about it. Anyone have a few web sites from mercury I could look at to verify this?????
    Dusty
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

That was TAE73 (Ted), Dusty. I checked around on a few sites but found nothing on the subject. Shoot Ted a PM or you can contact Mercury from their website by e-mail or phone...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

I was told by the mechanic who has been a merc mechanic for 25 years. Said that idling long periods or at low rpms like trolling was not a good idea on a 2 strokes. Becuase it would carb the cylinders and could result in fouled plugs. He said if you wanted to troll on a big motor look at the 4 strokes. I have done some 20-30 minute idling periods looking for brush piles trying to cover alot of water. It will start running a little rough, but if I go and open it up it will no longer do it. This has just been my exprience, you may not see any short term problems but down the road that could be a different thing. I am only trying to protect my investment. With 115 hours on it in 2 years and only one problem I cant complain.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAE73
    I was told by the mechanic who has been a merc mechanic for 25 years. Said that idling long periods or at low rpms like trolling was not a good idea on a 2 strokes. Becuase it would carb the cylinders and could result in fouled plugs. He said if you wanted to troll on a big motor look at the 4 strokes. I have done some 20-30 minute idling periods looking for brush piles trying to cover alot of water. It will start running a little rough, but if I go and open it up it will no longer do it. This has just been my exprience, you may not see any short term problems but down the road that could be a different thing. I am only trying to protect my investment. With 115 hours on it in 2 years and only one problem I cant complain.
    Who's boat did you use the other 10,000 hours you have fished in the last two years?:D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Post Sorry for the knee jerk Ted....

I was just kinda worried that I may have to either trade or quit some of my favorite past time. I have trolled for years and years with two-stroke motors.. shoot...they didn't have 4 strokers untill rather recent. I could all ways tell the motor would "load up" after a while, and I, like you, would just open it up for a bit and things would smooth back out. I really can't trust what I found out from the salesman I bought the boat through since he lied more than a army recruiter , but we had talked a bit about it. HE said that with the new, computerized oil injection with the opti, it would not load up near as bad or quick, sinced it knew just how much oil to add to the mix. The older 2 bangers just kept putting the same ratio out no matter what the rpm. I will go on with how I fish for a while and see first hand, since the motor has a 3 year factory (and I bought 2 more years) full maintenance warranty. Trust me, I don't troll for crappie with the big motor, but for stripers, whites, off shore for mahi and grouper. Grandpa taught me a long time ago that trolling (no matter how slow with the 'letric for crappie, or downrigging for others) is a highly effective way to cover a LOT of water, and it gives you time to study the lake with the electronics. In fact, it is such a productive method, it is against the rules in bass tournys, or it was.
    So, once again Ted, sorry for the knee jerk. Will let everyone know if anything ever does happen. I have only had this 115 opti since last november and want to keep it around for a long long time. I normally average 10-15 years per motor......and we use them a lot.
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Center, no prob. With the money that things cost now day you do need to make them last for a long time to get your money out of them. I didnt opt for the extended warrenty mostly becuase the cost was alot. And yes there are some dealers that treat you like a mushroom.

Gee, I would like to know how many hours my trolling motor has on it! There is a group of guys that I fish with. It works out real nice that we all take turns on whos boat and/ or truck we go fishing with.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAE73
    Center, no prob. With the money that things cost now day you do need to make them last for a long time to get your money out of them. I didnt opt for the extended warrenty mostly becuase the cost was alot. And yes there are some dealers that treat you like a mushroom.

Gee, I would like to know how many hours my trolling motor has on it! There is a group of guys that I fish with. It works out real nice that we all take turns on whos boat and/ or truck we go fishing with.
    Trolling motor ya I know.
    I have a Minn Kotta Maxum that I just replaced the brushes,bushings,and armature on it was getting noise.I can not complain I did it myself easy.$68