Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying new Crappie Tackle... HELP!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buying new Crappie Tackle... HELP!!!

Ok so here is my dilemna...

I have several gift cards from:
    BassPro $75
    Cabelas $50
    Dicks Sporting Goods (at least $30, not sure how much)
    Tacklewarehouse ($25, I think...)

89Ranger already showed me some very inexpensive rods that I can purchase at Wally world; however, these cards are not being used and I have quite a bit of money to spend with these, so why waste my own, right?

So, your mission ... (insert mission impossible music here) should you accept it, is to help me spend my giftcards on tackle that will help me catch more specks.

Here is what I "think" I want:
    1) Telescoping poles with reel seat and eyelets so I can use small spinners as reel.

2) Artificial baits (both soft plastics and jigs) and maybe even those little powerbait grub looking things

3) Light Spinning Reels

4) Terminal tackle; hooks, line, weights, slip bobbers, bobber stops

SO ... If you had $125, Im only using top two amounts right now because those I am certain of... :D

What would you buy, and if you have links (especially to Cabelas and BassPro), please be sure to post them with your replies, I am sure others will be able to use your information as well.

I know I will appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

Mike A!
    Land O Lakes, FL

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to beat bobby garland plastics .

Post Thanks / Like

I bought, poles with Shimano reels, slip bobbers of various sizes and dimensions, #4 and #6 Aberdeen hooks, 4# and 6# mono line, minnor bucket and mino-mizer, and minnows.

I keep one pole with 6# line and one with 4# line. The heavier lined pole gets the #6 (smaller) hooks, this pole I use to fish right in the timber. Most times I straigten the hook before I break off. The other pole is used above timber, brush piles.

Actually the best spent money is on a Crappie book from the Linders, or In-Fisherman. Haveing the gear is great, however its pointless if your not fishing where the fish are.

If and when I use artifical bait, I prefer Mini-Mites and have a large collection of both sizes, and a bunch of different colors.
    Cubby Fishing Tackle
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely start with some NightProwler Weedless Jigs

Weedless Stickguards

Weedless Brushguards

Weedless Y-guards or V-guards

NightProwler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    Actually the best spent money is on a Crappie book from the Linders, or In-Fisherman. Haveing the gear is great, however its pointless if your not fishing where the fish are.
    Thanks for the info; however, I already know where they live, I just need more gear to catch them, everything I own (rod and reel wise) is based on LMB or inshore species like trout, snook, and redfish, so it is way too heavy for them crappies.

Here is my link from the Florida forums:
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/flori...-89ranger.html

As you can see, I can catch them, and they dont tend to move around a whole lot in my lake as there are only a handful of dropoffs that go to deeper waters fast. It is a fairly deep lake and it is less than seven acres. So I just need more info on the brand names/models of rods/reels, tackle, etc...

Right now I already own a sedona 750 which I think I perfect, but I wanted to make sure I am not overspending for these little fish.

Thanks!

Mike A!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mlakrid .... it would probably help to know exactly "how" you intend to fish (what method), as that would narrow down the choices of needed equipment. At least let us know what your primary method is going to be, as we already know that you'll want to have the capacity to use this equipment for multiple purposes (if possible).

In place of your choice for #1 ... you might consider some Berkley Cherrywood or Lightning rods (but don't go for lite or UL ... get at least a med action) 7ft is their longest length, so if you're planning on spider rigging or vertical jigging, they might not be the best choice.

For #2 ... BPS Sparkle Squirt tubes, Bobby Garland plastics, and Panfish Assassins are good choices. But, don't overlook the fine custom made plastics that our members produce !!

#3 ... look at the low end Shimanos (AX, IX, or FX series) or possibly even some of the 10b Okuma reels

#4 ... probably cheaper at Wal-Mart, so you "could" use that $$ on some of the other equipment & get a slightly higher quality or quantity.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Mlakrid .... it would probably help to know exactly "how" you intend to fish (what method), as that would narrow down the choices of needed equipment. At least let us know what your primary method is going to be, as we already know that you'll want to have the capacity to use this equipment for multiple purposes (if possible).
    Ahhh... good point, I keep forgetting this part... well, when I was catching them ny myself, I was using a single med-light panfish setup on a single dropshot hook, just like I would for bass, that is how I narrowed down where to fish after I saw them on the graph.

That being said, I would love to get into spider rigging, but honestly, my little 12 foot jon boat is too light to troll, I used my trolling motor on its lowest setting and "bumped" the motor on and off just to try and keep us moving and it was still too fast. If you have ideas for how to void going to fast without buying a new trolling motor, I would appreciate any feedback.

Also, it is so small, I do not know how I would even begin mounting rod holders on it to provide spots to do so, any links are appreciated.

In place of your choice for #1 ... you might consider some Berkley Cherrywood or Lightning rods (but don't go for lite or UL ... get at least a med action) 7ft is their longest length, so if you're planning on spider rigging or vertical jigging, they might not be the best choice.

For #2 ... BPS Sparkle Squirt tubes, Bobby Garland plastics, and Panfish Assassins are good choices. But, don't overlook the fine custom made plastics that our members produce !!
    Cool, these I will check out, I also like to help sponsors, so if you have options there, Im all ears too

#3 ... look at the low end Shimanos (AX, IX, or FX series) or possibly even some of the 10b Okuma reels
    I will look into these too.

#4 ... probably cheaper at Wal-Mart, so you "could" use that $$ on some of the other equipment & get a slightly higher quality or quantity.

... cp
    Very true...

I have somewhere to start now, please keep them coming, I am not buying the very first thing I look at, especially since black friday sales are right around the corner.

Thanks Everyone,

Mike A!

Post Thanks / Like

using a drift sock with the TM might slow you down enough, they have different sizes so it could be a trial and error. Heading into the wind will help slow the boat down, or speed it up a bit if needed. Check out driftmaster.com for one version of rod holders. do a search for rod holders and you find lots of debate about 'em. Get what will work for you and your boat, and how you prefer to fish
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Draggin a 6 ft chain on a rope behind the boat will slow the boat down and keep it straighter in the wind too.
    Cheaper than a new trolling motor too. Tight lines!
    Cumberland Crappie LLC
    Rod Holders, Double Seat Mounts and other Accessories
    http://www.cumberlandcrappie.com
    Phone (606) 425-7151
    Poplar Lures Pro Staff
    http://www.poplarlures.com

Post Thanks / Like

tubes been catching em for ever.....add em on a nightprowler head and you in buss......BG baby shads produce pretty well also

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast