Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: outfitting my kayak

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb outfitting my kayak

There are a few things I'm building for my kayak. 1. anchor trolly 2. outriggers 3. rudder
    I have the trolly line installed and ready to use.

Name:  kayak outfitting 015.jpg
Views: 1892
Size:  46.1 KBName:  kayak outfitting 014.jpg
Views: 1353
Size:  29.6 KB

I'm working on the outriggers and it is close.

The rudder is and has been interesting to design and build since I have never seen one in person. I have looked at a lot of videos and pictures and have taken a little bit of a few that I liked and am building one to fit my needs on the kayak I have. On the back where the handle goes is the place I picked to install the rudder. I removed the handle and built a anchor point for the rudder to attach. I ordered some sheet stock and laid out the parts that I will need. Drilled the holes and bent the two outside pieces and cut out the rudder. After attaching the rudder I decided to extend the bottom of the rudder another 4''. I believe it now has a good workable length. I am now working on the to front foot peddles and where I need to place them. I will be running a tube inside the kayak from the peddles to the rudder and then use a cable to control the turning of the rudder from left to right. The rope to lift and lower the rudder will run on top of the kayak from the rudder to the left side and end right behind or beside the seat. A few pics of the rudder and foot peddles. Will add more pics as it comes together.

Name:  kayak outfitting 008.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  34.7 KBName:  kayak outfitting 009.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  36.1 KBName:  kayak outfitting 010.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  34.9 KBName:  kayak outfitting 027.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  33.0 KBName:  kayak outfitting 029.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  32.6 KBName:  kayak outfitting 030.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  40.6 KBName:  kayak outfitting 011.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  34.3 KB
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

very nice work, looks like it will be a fishing machine when done. Just a suggestion on the anchor trolley, I've seen where people use a bungee cord at the attachment points on the bow or stern absorb any shock/stress on the attachment points. I have not installed my anchor trolley yet, that's a winter project for me. Nice work indeed.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious, but why do you feel the need for a rudder?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    very nice work, looks like it will be a fishing machine when done. Just a suggestion on the anchor trolley, I've seen where people use a bungee cord at the attachment points on the bow or stern absorb any shock/stress on the attachment points. I have not installed my anchor trolley yet, that's a winter project for me. Nice work indeed.
    (including the nice work part!)

That's what I did

Not sure if running the trolley cord under the that eyelet will cause you any interference or not (O-ring may want to snag on it). I've noticed my trolley cord will pull away from the Kayak in wind/waves, but it allows the bungee to do it's job, plus I don't have the O-ring slapping the side of the Kayak. A bit of shock absorber will help the anchor hold better too.

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Sometimes we do things not out of necessity, but just because we can
    Apple Pie ProStaff

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Because I'll be fishing rivers and with floating down with the current the back of the kayak wants to come around. Should be able to control the back of the yak with the rudder instead of having to use the paddle.

Post Thanks / Like

NeonMoon, the outside trolly line isn't run behind the eyelets just the inside run. I have seen the bungee cords added to one end and will add one to the trolly, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same thing with my outboard when drifting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STUMP HUNTER View Post
    NeonMoon, the outside trolly line isn't run behind the eyelets just the inside run. I have seen the bungee cords added to one end and will add one to the trolly, thanks.
    Saw that, but after thinking about it, the O-ring will be pulled-away from the side of the Kayak (which I even mentioned), so what I said earlier....never mind My brain has taken the day off
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

"Just" and "only" curious about the rudder for drifting down river. Would a chain do the same thing? I use a chain for this purpose and it works well.
    I have not thought about the shock absorber on the trolly but I can see the advantages. Got plenty of bungie cords available for that. YOU however
    have done a good job of accomplishing your results. Innovation benefits the innovator. Congrats. Welcome to the kayak fishin' fleet.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredRR View Post
    "Just" and "only" curious about the rudder for drifting down river. Would a chain do the same thing? I use a chain for this purpose and it works well.....
    Actually, in my experience, a fixed rudder will only amplify the stern swinging. A variable rudder will also still swing and the ones I have seen react way to slowly to steering inputs to make meaningful corrections (ie once the boat starts to swing, there is not enough steering leverage provide by the current across the rudder to correct). If you are floating in unsnaggy waters (logs or rocks) a drag chain tickling the bottom will keep your bow facing down current. Just be mindful that the chain can suddenly snag (so be prepared for cutting the line).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast