Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Battery terminals

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery terminals

Is there any thing that can be done to keep the battery terminals form getting corrosion on them. & what causes it to happen. Thanks Jim C.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to your local auto parts store and see if they have this stuff that you spray on the terminals to coat them it may not keep it all off but it does help quiet a bit.
    Hope your lines stay wet and your livewells full.:D

Post Thanks / Like

or you can just coat them with oil, WD-40, etc...

Corrosion comes from many different things happening at once. Moisture, vapor and liquid, mix in Hydrogen gas and acid from the battery, dirt and trash, electrolysis and you can get a nasty combination. That usually builds up as gunk on the post.

Clean them with a baking soda and water mixture and then wash it off with clean water. This will neutralize the acids. Repeat until the post and cables are clean. Dry of the excess moisture and coat the post and cable with you choice of products. Just remember to check them periodically and re-apply the coating material. Basically you want to keep air and moisture from getting in contact with them.

john
    Last edited by bowdenja; 06-30-2006 at 08:44 AM.
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

vasaline has always worked for me.
    Everyone ought to believe in something.
    I believe I'll go fishing!
    :D

I fish because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion. :)

John Volker retired Michigan Supreme Court justice.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to clean them, get a small cup say 6-8 oz. Put a spoon full of backing soda in the cup , then add water, stir. Pour a little at a time to the corrosion in the terminals. It will foam up, that is ok it is cleaning. Have a bigger cup of water there to rinse of all the junk. Re apply if you need more cleaning. It really works.

Gonefission
    Bill

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Yes Jim .....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C.
    Is there any thing that can be done to keep the battery terminals form getting corrosion on them. & what causes it to happen. Thanks Jim C.
    There are a couple of things that can be done.

Gluing a penny or piece of copper to the top of the battery will reduce the corrosion around the terminals. It works as a sacrificial anode.

But, keeping the battery clean, goes a long way towards preventing corrosion in the first place. Having a wire brush, box of baking soda, and a "coating product" ... and periodically using them, will insure a clean and longer lasting battery.

Use the baking soda as described by the other members, as a wash, to neutralize and remove any corrosion present. I've always used a gallon milk jug of water, poured a box of soda into it, and poured that onto a shop rag. Then "washed" the outside of the battery, the terminals, and the connectors of any of the power lines coming to the battery ... being careful not to allow any of the "soda water" getting into/under the battery caps.

The wire brush I use for scraping the battery posts clean, and the incoming wire connectors clean. The "wash job" neutralizes the acid, but the wire brush removes surface junk that interferes with good electrical conductivity.

"Coating Products" come in many forms ... but their basic function is to prevent air from getting to the connections (oxidation), or moisture. Felt "O" rings soaked in oil, work to prevent problems between the posts and the connecting wires. Vaseline, WD-40, Reel Magic, silicone, or Dielectric grease can be used to coat the posts & connectors, to prevent any further oxidation or corrosion buildup. The Dielectric grease is probably the best of the bunch, and it will last quite a bit longer than the others.

Clean power cable connectors, attached to a clean battery terminal, with both coated with Dielectric Grease ... will prolong the life of the battery, and give you more power for a longer period of time.
    Cleaning/brushing the thin layer of oxidation off terminals/posts of a new battery, and even the new connector heads of the power cables that will be attached to them, and applying a layer of Dielectric Grease to all the metal surfaces involved, is a smart move. That will help prevent the start of any oxidation or corrosion. Oxidation & corrosion deplete some of the power of the battery, turning the electrical power into heat energy at that point.
    And always tighten the connectors to the battery terminals with pliers .... finger tightened connections can vibrate loose, and a loose connection will also build up heat. And, not only does that rob you of some of your battery power ... it can also melt the wire casings, cause a fire, or burn your fingers when you touch them. ......... luck2ya ..... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I use a thin coat of grease.
    Bill

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had that trouble on my lawn tractor. I put a pair of those round felt red and green battery protectors on and never had any more problems. They are about 2 bucks at your local auto parts store. Have no idea what they are impregnated with but they worked good.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

ditto the felt works great
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!