Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat tax

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat tax

It looks like the boat tax amendment has passed, which as I understand it, makes it possible for the state to make changes to property tax methods and rates on boats. Craig, if you could, please clarify what the passing of this amendment means to KS boat owners. And also, what needs to be done now in order for us to see some tax relief on our boats.

I was just calculating that I have paid close to $3000 in property taxes on my fishing boat over the five years that I have owned it, and I'm sure it is valued less than what a lot of guys on this forum are running. So I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know what needs to happen next.

Thanks for your info!
    I am just pullin' your leg.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Fish I purchased another boat back in march and I wanted to find out how much personal property tax I'd be paying......$1200 a year!!!! Of course it drops a little each year but not much and so I called Topeka to complain about the exorbenent rate and how that contributes to boat owners registering their boats in other states, she agreed and said they were wanting to change the way watercraft was being assessed so the result was the vote on the recent election ballot and thank God it passed. She also told me that there might be a flat rate for all boats kinda like our registration fees but couldn't say for sure only that it would be alot less than what we pay now. The changes would take place in 2013 but wouldn't be effective until 2014....so no relief for another year and dealing with government I'm not holding my breath.
    FAITH, FAMILY, FRIENDS & FISHING...... hopefully in that order but honestly, not always!

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Taxi View Post
    It looks like the boat tax amendment has passed, which as I understand it, makes it possible for the state to make changes to property tax methods and rates on boats. Craig, if you could, please clarify what the passing of this amendment means to KS boat owners. And also, what needs to be done now in order for us to see some tax relief on our boats.

I was just calculating that I have paid close to $3000 in property taxes on my fishing boat over the five years that I have owned it, and I'm sure it is valued less than what a lot of guys on this forum are running. So I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know what needs to happen next.

Thanks for your info!
    Fish Taxi,

See the news release below. This is what I've seen so far. I'll see if I can dig up any additional info on this.

Watercraft Taxation Amendment Passes
    Amendment clears way for legislature to lower tax burden on boat owners

TOPEKA – On November 6, Kansans voted to amend the state’s constitution so the legislature could address the issue of high property taxes on watercraft. While the amendment doesn’t directly change the classification or tax rate for watercraft, it is the first step in a process to reclassify watercraft and make their tax treatment more in line with surrounding states.

For tax purposes, a watercraft is any boat powered by gasoline, diesel, electric, oars or sail, including sailboards, personal watercraft (jet skis), kayaks, and canoes. Watercraft are currently classified as “Other Tangible Personal Property” and assessed at 30 percent of their appraised value – a classification and rate set by the Kansas constitution. If the amendment had not passed, the legislature would not have been able to change the boat classification or tax rate.

To lower their property tax burden, some owners unlawfully register their vessels in a neighboring state. The only way county appraisers know if a resident owns a watercraft is for the owner to declare it for property tax purposes or to use the watercraft registration records KDWPT annually sends to each county.

“We are grateful to Kansas voters for their support of the amendment, and we look forward to working with the legislature as they consider ways to create a more equitable tax structure for boats,” said Robin Jennison, Secretary of the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism, which supported the amendment. “We firmly believe that lowering the tax burden of owning watercraft will be good for Kansas and Kansas boaters.”