Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard Water Season Next

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hard Water Season Next

I winterized my boat with a tear in my eye.:-)
    Now it is time to move on and get the hard water gear organized.

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to hear more about it. Just moved up and have never ice fished. Told some coworkers that I would definitely go with them but won't drive my truck out onto the ice

How do you know where to set up? Do you base it on experience or do you have a portable depth finder? Does a depth finder work through ice or do you have to drill test holes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ekim22 View Post
    Would love to hear more about it. Just moved up and have never ice fished. Told some coworkers that I would definitely go with them but won't drive my truck out onto the ice

How do you know where to set up? Do you base it on experience or do you have a portable depth finder? Does a depth finder work through ice or do you have to drill test holes?
    Ice is never 100% safe you have to use some common sense. 12 inches of clear ice can be driven on; do not be racing around, drive slow under 15 MPH. The MN DNR puts out some good guide line to follow.

A map of the lake is a must. I run a Vexilar FL-22 and it does a good job reading through clear ice; just pour some water on the ice to wet the transducer.

There are two ice fishing shows coming up in MPLS; I recommend you attend as there is a wealth of info to be had there. There are many equipment distributors and ice pros giving seminars, also answering questions.

The first show is in Blane MN Nov. 16,17,18. This is a new show. The big show is in ST. Paul Nov 30-Dec.2.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome thanks for the heads up on the shows!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ekim22 View Post
    Awesome thanks for the heads up on the shows!
    There are five of us in the area planning to attend the St. Paul show on Dec.1. Weather permitting!!!

Post Thanks / Like

One thing you will learn real quick is to dress right. Not so heavy that you drown in sweat moving around and no so light that you chill when sitting over a hole. Start with a good set of insulated but breathable boots. Everybody I know has his own favorite. And then dress in layers so you can adjust your clothing to the situation. Check out the shows first before you buy anything. Dressing for the cold in the North Country is a bit of an art, but not all that difficult to pick up. You can actually overdo it as well as under-dress, I have one snow suit that is just too warm to be active in. First a heavy sweat and then when I sit over the hole a chill. That way lies hypothermia and it can kill you.

BTW to have a look at the flashers that most of us use, check out the videos at the websites for Vexilar and Marcum. Those will give you a taste.

Post Thanks / Like

A classic article by Paul Greenburg (author of Four Fish)from the Boston Globe.

The winter people - The Boston Globe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IMFSHN View Post
    A classic article by Paul Greenburg (author of Four Fish)from the Boston Globe.

The winter people - The Boston Globe
    Interesting article.

Post Thanks / Like

no1son brings up dressing for the occasion and nothing could be more true. Somewhere the misconception that people who live here in the north are "used to" or conditioned to the cold gets tossed around a lot. False. You can't get used to it, you adapt to it. Learn how to "layer" your clothes and by all means go do some snooping in sporting goods stores for winter wear, starting with what lays against your hide and work your way out. How you dress is perhaps the biggest adaptation. Exposed skin is yet another concern.

More than anything the skin will dry out in the cold and if the wind is a factor the drying effects are amplified, especially if you opt to fish open ice. Use a good sunscreen chapstick on your lips and use the same on your nose. Hands and face cane get a good skin lotion before and after fishing. Then there is the optical end of things. WEAR SUNGLASSES when you are out in the elements moving around but especially when the sun is on ice and snow. You'll find that wearing sunglasses even on hazy days makes for mor relaxed vision.

Minnesota tends to be a state of extremes and the best way to enjoy things is to learn how to dress for the day and activity. The one time of the year you will not want to shorthange what you wear is winter....things can change in a heartbeat up here and lots of statistics bear witness to that fact. Have fun, but have fun safely.

Post Thanks / Like

Do not under estimate the sunglasses either! The sun may be weaker in the winter, but off of white snow or ice it can be powerful enough to blind a person. Snow blindness is not an urban myth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast