Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Try and Avoid Winter Depression and Crappie Fishing Withdrawal Symptoms

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to Try and Avoid Winter Depression and Crappie Fishing Withdrawal Symptoms

Where I live in Northern Central Missouri it gets cold and sometimes Winter jumps up on me sooner than I like it too. However, I am a seasonal-based person and I do prefer the Midwest and its seasonal approach to passing life's time span. Now, I am a Licensed Therapist by trade and do work part-time in the Spring, Summer, and Fall seasons as a fishing guide at Truman Lake. So, I do approach most aspects of my life from a psychological perspective, especially crappie fishing. I've tried living in California where there is not a significant amount of seasonal change. I couldn't take it. I moved back to Missouri due to a lack of seasonal change and a lack of space in California. I know that many anglers have a great deal of success crappie fishing through the Winter months as I have had myself. As far as I'm concerned it's just to cold I mean its for me its just not enjoyable even when I think it is. Over the years I have became pretty creative in finding ways to overcome Crappie fishing withdrawal symptoms and seasonal depression, which I believe can be related to:

A lack of crappie fishing
    Knowing that it is going to be awhile before I go crappie fishing
    Long-periods of being stuck in the house
    Holidays that I cant afford if I am going to further invest in my crappie fishing
    My wife constantly on my case because I'm probably depressed because I can't go crappie fishing
    Spending extra time with my mother-in-law because I'm stuck in the house
    Snow piling up on my driveway
    The economy

I'm sure you can agree the list goes on-and-on and-on.......

This typical pattern of seasonal change has caused me to find several things that I can do to overcome the symptoms in order to enjoy my time-off from crappie fishing in the off months, and often leaves me feeling rejuvenated in the Spring time. I think it is important to take time-off at least for me so that I can keep a youthful interest in crappie fishing and maintain a high level of commitment to the sport. And let's face the crappie need a break too. These are things I usually have to do to maintain my happiness and motivation through the Winter so that I can continue to destroy Crappie in the seasonal months.

Go through all of my tackle and organize
    Replace needed items
    Thoroughly clean my boat and gear
    Perform routine maintenance on boat, motor, trailer
    Determine what will need to be updated for next year
    Maintain a saving account strictly for my fishing expenses
    Shoot my bow
    Obtain necessary items for bow season
    Bow hunt at least every weekend
    Prepare for gun season
    Take a week off and gun hunt
    Return to bow hunting after gun season and camp at least twice for the weekend bow hunts
    February rest and gradually prepare for the Crappie season

March soon comes and its time to enjoy Crappie fishing again as much as possible until next Fall. Hopefully this helps it has proven to be a pretty good plan for me over the years. Enjoy your freedom and the Winter months. I will check back in soon....

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless the time of year when I can't be fishing, I read this forum and talk about fishing to fellow anglers. New ideas and discoveries keep the hobby fresh even though catching panfish is a no brainer most of the year. Winter in NY is definitely a challenge when hard water and the cold is a factor. If cabin fever is bad enough, I'll dig out my ice fishing gear. Other than that, I do pretty much do what you mentioned except I make and design my own soft plastic baits as well as sell them. This keeps me from buying overpriced stuff when boredom brings the credit card out and I have a source of income to pay for fishing related equipment.

Doing routine work on reels such as oiling, greasing and putting new line on is always productive and appreciated once the season starts. I switch rod and reel combos to see which cast lures the best and test them by casting in the driveway. (Let the neighbors look if they have nothing better to do!)

Being retired, I know what you mean about the cold, even when I wasn't retired. Standing over a hole when the chill factor is -10 is no fun, but catching fish from that hole makes it all worth it!

Frank
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 11-03-2012 at 03:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Its simple here in maine. Just go fishing. Its only a couple weeks during the freeze up when things get slow. The crappie don,t know the difference. Get out and get them.

Post Thanks / Like

ive never heard of off months in crappie fishing, lol
    "my wife" crappie fishing is a jerk on one end waiting for a jerk on the other."

pullin they're heads up, ears and all

Post Thanks / Like

I crappie fish all winter then start turkey hunting in April and do little fishing again until late October or early November. The only time I won't go is if it's windy, the cold isn't bad but the wind gets to me. Our lakes don't freeze over very often, even if they do it usually doesn't last long and the crappie will bite all winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Last year we were very fortunate in that hard water didn't last very long, being as it was a very mild winter. I can only for the same this year!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bwomack_29 View Post
    ive never heard of off months in crappie fishing, lol
    I agree, if not crappie fishing then another species. I hit crappie primarily from Sept. to Jan., but will go yearround. I hit hybrids/stripers from the end of Dec. to Mar. I hit Speckled trout and redfish from March through summer. Also bream bed fish and still occassionally bass fish in summer. I have patterned all these species yearround, but this is the best bites in my area for each. I am very blessed to be in God's country where I chase a wide range of species. Forgot I also deer hunt some during winter. If its cold where more clothes and get a heater.

Post Thanks / Like

I downloaded a fishing game on to my phone. Its doesn't compare to the real thing, but it stops the shaky hands and passes the time. I'm being sarcastic about the shaky hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing is better in the fall winter and early spring. Not many people out sking or boating

Post Thanks / Like

Shooting at the local indoor range helps me cope for the month or so we have ice.......if theres soft water im fishing despite the cold

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast