Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scented oils for plastic baits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scented oils for plastic baits

What type of scented oils can be used for tubes and jigs? I have heard that Anise oil is good.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

WD-40 and no I'm not joking.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Listen to the show at http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=22670

Bobby Uhrig,founder of Mega Strike attractant talks about oils,WD-40,and more on the show.A good listen!:D
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

Len, I have used sardine oil, after I eat the sardines

Gonefission
    Bill

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Len .....

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    What type of scented oils can be used for tubes and jigs? I have heard that Anise oil is good.
    Anise oil is good, and there are quite a few different spray/dip scent products on the market. Cod liver oil, fish oil capsules (the oil inside), and other "natural" fish oil products would also work.
    I wouldn't/don't recommend WD-40, even if it does work. It's a petroleum product (WD stands for "water displacement") and thus a pollutant to the water system. I'd look for "natural" or "biodegradable" products. Even some tubes, and other plastics, already have a "scent" cooked into them ... and don't really need any extra additions. "Salt impregnated" plastics are also available ... and usually don't need scent added, or may already have them. ......... just MHO .......... luck2ya .... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Put a 1/4 inch piece of nightcrawler on the point & barb of your hook. YUM YUM. It will slide up your hook when you catch a fish. Just slide it back down and you are in business again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    Anise oil is good, and there are quite a few different spray/dip scent products on the market. Cod liver oil, fish oil capsules (the oil inside), and other "natural" fish oil products would also work.
    I wouldn't/don't recommend WD-40, even if it does work. It's a petroleum product (WD stands for "water displacement") and thus a pollutant to the water system. I'd look for "natural" or "biodegradable" products. Even some tubes, and other plastics, already have a "scent" cooked into them ... and don't really need any extra additions. "Salt impregnated" plastics are also available ... and usually don't need scent added, or may already have them. ......... just MHO .......... luck2ya .... cp
    Can you say put some tubes in a bag and add the anise oil to prevent them from sticking? Thanks,Len

Post Thanks / Like

Yes adding scent to a bag will work there are some places to buy scents that are made for plastic. I buy my scents and supplies for making plastic jigs from these folks.

www.barlowstackle.com
    www.lurecraft.com
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always heard that there are no petroleum products in WD-40. I tried doing a search to find out but they just say the actual ingredients is a secret. LOL I do know as a lube, it doesn't last very long. I've never tried it as a fish attractant and don't intend to. I have enough trouble keeping a minnow on.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey IBN ...

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I've always heard that there are no petroleum products in WD-40. I tried doing a search to find out but they just say the actual ingredients is a secret. LOL I do know as a lube, it doesn't last very long. I've never tried it as a fish attractant and don't intend to. I have enough trouble keeping a minnow on.
    Actually .... this quote is copied from the WD-40 web page:

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 on?
    WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40.

From what I've read, WD-40 is mostly "Stoddard Solvent" ... a "petroleum distillate" (or type 1 Mineral spirits, or white spirits).
    What is Stoddard solvent? (copied from The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry)
    Stoddard solvent is a colorless, flammable liquid that smells and tastes like kerosene. It will turn into a vapor at temperatures of 150–200 °C.

Stoddard solvent is a petroleum mixture that is also known as dry cleaning safety solvent, petroleum solvent, and varnoline; its registered trade names are Texsolve S® and Varsol 1®. It is a chemical mixture that is similar to white spirits.

Stoddard solvent is used as a paint thinner; in some types of photocopier toners, printing inks, and adhesives; as a dry cleaning solvent; and as a general cleaner and degreaser

Now you know why I don't recommend its use as a "scent" (and the WD-40 people don't list it as a "fish attractant scent", in their "uses listing", either :D ) ..... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast