Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Georgia Giants Bream

Post Thanks / Like

Default Georgia Giants Bream

Anybody have any experience with these either catching or raising? I met a guy over the weekend said he bought some to raise in his pond. They're hybrid bream, get up to 5lbs, with 3lbs common. Just Google Georgia Giants and you'll see a few sites...I believe he got his from Ken's Fish Farm in Georgia. Very interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some in April 2005. They do grow fast and are agressive biters.
    I caught some on a beetle spin in September.
    I am anxious to see how big they will get.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

DHW, how big were they when you first bought them and how big had they already gotten after just 6 months? Curious...
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Watched a show on oln or something with o'neil fishin for georgia giants. I never heard the weight but said they were 2 yrs now. It was incredible to watch. I wanted to be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Default georgia giants

There very aggresive but also thers a down side my grandfather put some in his pond 10 yrs or so, first 3 or 4 yrs. it was great caught several over 2 #, then started catching smaller fish, had a biologist check pond he said it was overpopulated, also stated to throw little fish on the bank and let dye because it was hurting the weights. THe bass fishing got better. But it just didn't get fished enough. If I'm not mistaken they spawn like 5 times a yr.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

this place is 25 miles down the road from me . i have never ben there .
    http://www.kens-fishfarm.com/
    my brother built a pond in Rolla Mo.. they wer good eating size in 2 years . his pond was loaded with little fish . he also put cat fish in it to . when we wer catching eating size cats we also cought little fish to .i have seen some ponds that wouldn`t raise fish and some that would . seams like a new clay bottom will rais whena old pond with a thick silted bottom wan`t .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Very Informative Read

Since I don't have a clue how to post a link, you need to Google up {Hybrid Sunfish Myth} You will be informed of the "truth" as tested by the MO. Conservation Dept.
    These are easy to understand tests and reflect the same results that I have found in our area. Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I think i saw where you can buy these from Southern States stores. I always thougth that Hybrid meant that they didnt reproduce. Does anyone have any info on this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hybrids do reproduce

From my very limited research the hybrid bluegill or sunfish DO reproduce.
    Fortunately the rate is very low. Over time you will be left with mostly the dreaded Green Sunfish. These reproduce at an alarming rate, leaving masses of stunted fish. We need to contact the Mythbusters TV Show for a film on this. lol :D Mike

Post Thanks / Like

There has been much discussion over on www.pondboss.com about Georgia Giants. Some pro and some con.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast