Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can I use a lawnmower battery for my trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default can I use a lawnmower battery for my trolling motor

how long would you estimate it would last on a minakota 27 lb thrust and how many times can it be recharged looking for light weight battery

Post Thanks / Like

Get a AGM 35 amp hour wheel chair battery. Nice and small/ light, and lasts a long time. I use one to power a motor guide 55 lb thrust varimax. It lasts as long as I want to fish, has an extremely long shelf life. Mine is over 4 years old so far.
    Sam in PA and FL

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Sam I'll look for one how much$$

Post Thanks / Like

Check around, you should be able to find them for $60 - $75. AGM batteries are about the best you can get.
    Sam in PA and FL

Post Thanks / Like

You might wat to look at one of the Cabelas portable sonar batteries. 12V and rechargeable many times. I've used one on a rental rig with the same power motor you are talking about. It lasted all the while I was fishing - but I didn't use it all the time - rather just to reposition the boat and getting to the next spot on a small pond. I know it works; I just do not know how long it will last. But it certainly is small and very inexpensive at only $25.00 a pop. You could get two and you'd still be ahead of the game compared to a normal size battery. Just a thought that you might find worth looking into.

As far as your lawnmower battery goes, the device (any) doesn't much care where the power comes from, as long as it get the power!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I use my 12v lawn mower battery to run my electronics and lights, and a regualr deep cycle 24 for my MinnKota 30lbs TM.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

it's the weight that i"m trying to get a way from going to take my riding mower battery out and try it , but as a safety I'll put my 3 hp johnson on too. had a lot of rain yesterday several inches

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think you'll be happy with the performance a small battery provides you, not to mention you'll end-up over discharging the battery, and with the discharge/recharge cycle (being only so many cycles built into the life of a battery) shortening the battery life a bunch.

Go to SprawlMart and buy a Deep Cycle Marine Battery made for the job, there's a reason guys don't use small batteries for trolling motors, they aren't made for it.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Find an Interstate battery center in your area. They have the deep cycle batteries for the powered wheel chair/scooter chairs. Those batteries are designed for the cycling, discharge/recharge of trolling motors (or wheel chairs). Other batteries will not do the job. They WILL not last. A DCM0040 is a 40 amp/hr sealed battery not much bigger than your lawn mower battery. That would be my bet. 7 3/4" x 6 1/2"

JMO

Daily fishin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket rich View Post
    how long would you estimate it would last on a minakota 27 lb thrust and how many times can it be recharged looking for light weight battery
    Weight directly correlates to how long the battery will last.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast