Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lily Pond/Cain Slough/Martin Springs Branch, 254 Crappie today!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lily Pond/Cain Slough/Martin Springs Branch, 254 Crappie today!!

I got on the water around 6:30AM. The fish were scattered but hitting everything, I had a limit of 30 by 7:15AM. The weather was so beautiful I decide to try a few new things and kept fishing till 3:00PM. I hit the counter every time I unhooked a Crappie, When I got back to my truck it said “254”, crazy day.

I started fishing this morning with Pink and Pearl Bobby Garlands on 1/16 oz jig heads again. Just dragging jigs 10 to 12 inches below the surface in 18 inches of water with 6 poles. After I limited out I picked up my casting pole and started tossing a beetle spin later changing over to a mini crank bait. I even used a trout lure called a spinner fly for a while. Today it didn’t seem to matter the bait, I caught Crappie all over and with everything. The gills and little stripe were also hitting everything. I even caught three 10 or 12 inch, orange and black striped fish that I would swear were perch, but we’re to far south so I’m not sure what they were. Wonderful day to be on the water.

By the way I expect a dozen people to post that there’s no way I caught that many so go ahead. I can’t quit smiling so you may as well complain after working all day while I was fishing!

By the way Scott, I heard and later saw Turkey for the first time today on the South side of Lily. I’m not sure if you hunt Turkey also.

Name:  121004.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  48.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Okay that does it I am taking off work tomorrow......actually I am but have a Dr. appointment at 7:30 so I may see if I can get out later in the day...Lily pond sounds good, I have never caught a limit of crappie in my life. Great Job man!!!!!!! Keep the post coming and let us know how the trip down the Flint River goes tomorrow. I will have a spider rig on one of my sons kayaks or one of my canoes by Saturday.

Flintcreek.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditch, there is perch this far south, i have been fishing these waters for all my life and have caught several thou not as big as they get up north, and they are few and far between, i have caught some large enouigh to fry and are as good as crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Durnit! I wished I'd kept them and given them a dip in the grease. I would have like to see how they taste.

Thanks for the info huls1

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, they are definitely down here. Caught one this summer pulling crank baits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huls1 View Post
    Ditch, there is perch this far south, i have been fishing these waters for all my life and have caught several thou not as big as they get up north, and they are few and far between, i have caught some large enouigh to fry and are as good as crappie
    Agreed.... they are very fine eating! We used to catch em a lot over at roseberry in scottsboro

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what a day!! That one ought to keep you grinin for a long time.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Ditch,

Days like that are exactly why I keep fishing, even after being skunked a few times, there's always a chance for a day like that. I've caught around 90 or so on one trip but nothing like that. On to the perch, I did catch two of them in Cain Slough back in April of this year, around 9 or 10 inches, and made sure to keep them seperate from the crappie when I cooked them, real good eatin', couldn't tell much difference from crappie. Don't know if I should have kept them or not, never heard about length or creel limits on yellow perch, never even saw a perch until this spring. Great job on a great trip.
    You can't catch em, if you don't go!

Post Thanks / Like

ditch, did you get my pm? not a secret but swan creek is getting ready to let in water.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I was having issues sending PM's. I got it figured out but forgot to PM you back. I wonder if they are letting in the water at the pump or through the new screw gate in the white spring dike?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast