Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: turning down imaging into side imaging??

Post Thanks / Like

Question turning down imaging into side imaging??

Ok I have a 570DI on my trolling motor. My question is..... If I mounted the ducer on the side of my trolling motor would it work as a single beam SI? I mean could I turn the trolling motor to "Look" around? Anyone ever tried it? I fish Barkley Lake and usually less than 20ft of water, so I think I'm not seeing much of an area under the boat. I normally cast to fish so to me it seems more important to see where I'm casting than where I'm sitting. Also thought that I might be able to see under and around dock somewhat.

Has anyone ever tried this or am I just that odd?

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember Cane Pole posting his rendition of taking a 2d Xducer and mounting it on a pivot bracket so that he could point it sideways thru the water...

There's no reason your idea will not work ...For seeing fish out to the side...You just have to be able to interpret what you are seeing on the image display...because the displayed image is still not going to look like the typical SI image layout of bottom showing on left and right with a water column in the middle...

Also remember that the DI sonar beam shape is very wide left to right, but very narrow front to back and the Xducer needs to be moving to "see" a new slice of water with each ping... Because the DI image is a compilation of successive pings "stacked" on top of each other one at a time to "build" the DI image...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 10-04-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor