Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watefowl Refuge at Smithville

Post Thanks / Like

Default Watefowl Refuge at Smithville

I know this may be out of MDC hands (if the refuge is a "National" refuge), but has any thought been given to the idea of allowing a small "boating" lane through there? It could be a no-wake area, or even electric motors only, but it would sure be nice to not lose half the lake to fishing from October til ice-out. If the refuge is in MDC hands, would they ever consider allowing some access?

thanks

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree Vic those rats with wings need no refuge! Worthless geese!

Post Thanks / Like

That would be fantastic to have a lane up to the north end, but I would bet that someone would start to fish or hunt and then claim ignorance to the fact that the wildlife refuge provides "shelter from danger". It's about all wildlife (above and below the water), and that would be a tough sell to the MDC to open a boating lane. And I would also venture to believe that they receive a good amount of funds for having a refuge.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I think that posted signs with very hefty fines would keep people from hunting/fishing, and I have no problem with that....as to whether "flying rats" deserve protection certainly isn't my call (altho they can sure make a mess of a lawn or golf course!!) I think if this is a national refuge, there probably isn't a snowball's chance in hell to get anything done

I thought the refuge was designated "waterfowl" refuge, so the fish would be fair game, but the idea is to give them (waterfowl) a place for R&R and not be bothered. But a slow boating lane along the West side shouldn't bother them much, if at all

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was a wildlife refuge, but after driving up there tonight I realized that it is waterFOUL only. Apologize. I would still venture up there if open.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the lack of response on this Thread is that this subject is taboo? I wonder if MDC and/or Clay County Parks would consider adding a ramp for use only during the time period of Oct 15 - Jan (Feb?) 15 to the North of the refuge?

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a MDC reg....

Birddogs54
    2005 Ranger 519 Yamaha 200

Post Thanks / Like

If I had a red boat as fast as Keeferfish's, I'd just hammer down and run up there as fast as I could screaming, "Come and get me copper!!!!!" the whole way!!!!! I second the sentiment about flying turd producers......it's funny how they try and come up with innovative ways to rid the golf course of gooses every year and end up closing beaches in the summer due to "over turdiness goosimus" (that's a latin word....) then we make special provisions for the winged warriors of wonderland to take a break on the lake all winter!!!!!

Maybe we can get a tuft-breasted snowy owl to come down this way this winter so a bunch of knuckleheaded people can park in the middle of the boat ramp and say LOOKIE LOOKIE while we try and put our boats in and out.

Whew....I feel better!!!!!!!!! Thanks for that, guys!!!!

I believe in catch and release.....right into the grease!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The refuge was originally set up as mitigation for the flooding of the Trimble Wildlife Area and lake. Back then (late 70's) there were far fewer geese and we were actually trying to increase their numbers. It was on my radar to revisit the whole refuge issue before the lake was reassigned. It may be in the original construction requirements for the lake, I just never got that far in investigating how difficult it would be to remove the designation. It's funny that for much of the season the waterfowl spend their time in the main lake, not the refuge. I hadn't gotten to the point of collecting all the information on the need for the refuge, so there may be other issues that I'm not familiar with. It is a regulation in our code. Good discussion and maybe an issue we need to revisit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MOfishmgr View Post
    The refuge was originally set up as mitigation for the flooding of the Trimble Wildlife Area and lake. Back then (late 70's) there were far fewer geese and we were actually trying to increase their numbers. It was on my radar to revisit the whole refuge issue before the lake was reassigned. It may be in the original construction requirements for the lake, I just never got that far in investigating how difficult it would be to remove the designation. It's funny that for much of the season the waterfowl spend their time in the main lake, not the refuge. I hadn't gotten to the point of collecting all the information on the need for the refuge, so there may be other issues that I'm not familiar with. It is a regulation in our code. Good discussion and maybe an issue we need to revisit.
    If you need anything from us in the way of support such as letter writing or phone calls, please let us know. The only option we have is to drive to Plattsburg

And thanks for responding

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast