Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best electric fillet knife?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the best electric fillet knife?

I bought a 110 volt Rapala electric fillet knife at Bass Pro. It doesn't seem to have much back bone in it. It didn't seem to want to cut very well. What type does everyone use or what type would you recommend? Thank you and good luck on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 110 volt american angler which has the pointed blades that i like. I would like to know what a good 12 volt or rechargeable battery knife is if any one out there has one.

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

110V American angler!!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had several over the years. My first which I still have and use is the Rapala that has the lighter plug, battery clips and 110 plug. Have had other Rapala knives and several other brands and they either don't last or don't have the RPM's to cut real well. The one I have is 6-8 years old and not sure if the newer Rapala's like it are of the same quality or not.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a similar thread to this about 2 weeks ago and it cost me $32. Everyone was raving about the 110V American Angler and several bought theirs off EBay so I looked on there and there was a used one for sale (supposedly only used a couple of times). Starting bid was $25 and since the new ones were around $80 I bid $27, then someone bid $30. I bid $32 and forgot about it, figured it would run on up to $50 or so.
    Well it didn't and it is sitting in my kitchen now waiting for me to catch something to try it out on. It does in fact look new so I think they were truthful in saying it had only been used a couple of times, Looks and feels like a heavy duty one so I hope it works OK.
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

you might double check and make sure you didn't stick both blades in the same hole on the knife ...... I've done it..... I thought my good old 110 volt Blakemore Electro-Carve fillet knife had finally shot craps and would barely cut ...... Thank goodness KCBrown realized my problem and helped me mend my ways without busting out laughing. Boy did I feel like a dork. That first Crappie I tried to fillet, with both blades stuck in the same hole, looked like he had been through a Commanche massacre...
    I have not yet begun to procrastinate .....

Post Thanks / Like

I had a mr twister for 20+ yrs before I finally burnt it up. Got me another one!

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, I only recognized the problem due to experience.

First off, it ain't the knife that makes a difference. Get good blades. I like those real thin blades you get at WallWorld for ~$6 with the sharp point. Nicer and more effective than the ones that came with my Rapala. I have two Rapalas 12v and 120v... with either knife I can clean the heck out of a bucket of fish in no time flat. Technique and blades... the speed of oscillation is pretty much the same from knife to knife.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two american anglers, love them both, keep on in the truck and one in the house, never know when your gonna need a slab sliced..... good knife for sure,,,

Post Thanks / Like

I also have the Rapala with both blades. I don't like it very much. For one thing I prefer a straight blade (Why do you need a pointed blade? Are you gonna stab the little sucker?)

I used a 20+ year old Hamilton Beach for years and really liked it. I threw it away because I thought it was shot. Turned out it wouldn't work because the outlet I plugged it into had tripped the ground fault breaker. Problem with the newer "kitchen" knives is they have a safety button that keeps it from turning on with the mere touch of a button plus they are Chinese made. My son has one and it is a PITA. If I ever see one of those U.S. made H.B. knives at a yard sale I'm grabbing it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast