Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie/Docks question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie/Docks question

Another thread asking if the crappie were under the docks at Weiss yet got me pondering and I didn't want to hijack the thread.
    Why are y'all looking for em under the docks this time of year? Seasonal pattern? Is there something different about the docks and houses at Weiss? Depth...structures?
    Reason I'm asking is that I've had limited limited success w docks this summer on wheeler and Wilson and want to know if I need to add something to my search.
    Thanx all!

Post Thanks / Like

Country Toad,

I'm new to fishing in Alabama, but in other states as the water starts to cool (into the mid 70's I think) the Crappie will begin to school and chase the shad into the creeks. Many lakes that have docks but don't have lots of creeks and backwaters the shad will move up out of deep water and use the docks for cover and the Crappie will follow. I just know docks close to deep water are usually good in spring and fall. The Crappie seem to like it deeper in both summer and winter.

Last fall I pulled limit after limit from Riverwalk Marina. Once the shad moved on so did the Crappie. They showed up again in early spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha ditch. I def catch more fish in the winter as well and far more fish under docks in the winter months. Your explanations make perfect sense. Totally adds to my understanding of their behavior. Thanx!