Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 1198 settings

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1198 settings

I have a 1198 and a 998 on the bow I was just wondering what settings you guys have found to be more productive. I have my sensetivity set on 12 and my contrast set on 11 just trying to get an idea of what settings would work better. I have played around with the settings but I can't really tell if I am making it better or worst. I'm still learningName:  pic 1.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  26.6 KB and evidently learning how to post pics can't figure out how to make it bigger but let me know what you'all do and have your settings at or what you've found works best, thanks millions.

Post Thanks / Like

Never mind looks like the pic fixed itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Another one.Name:  pic 2.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  30.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

The primary settings I adjust throughout the fishing day include:

SI sensitivity. I typically start in the 10-12 range. If fishing hard bottom areas (sand, gravel, rock) then I dial down the sensitivity. Soft bottom (muck, mud, etc) calls for higher sensitivity.
    SI contrast. I usually range from 8-14. I dial in the sensitivity first and then fiddle with contrast to make details stand out.
    SI sharpness. Normally off, but when I see a few fish tight to the bottom, I set sharpness to low or medium to help them stand out better. Here's an article I wrote last fall that details this procedure:

Using Humminbird Side Imaging's "Sharpness" feature to find bottom-oriented fish

SI range. Normally 100 ft, but I'll dial this down towards 80 when examining objects for fine detail.
    Chart speed. 1-2 for trolling, 2-4 for searching at idle, 5-6 for low speed and 10 for full throttle.

Hope that helps!

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Jason gives excellent advice in using each of the settings for a different purpose...Especially using the SI Sensitivity setting as a brightness control...

I keep the "SI Enhance" window up on my screen anytime I am viewing SI...

This gives the abilitiy to change the "SI Sensitivity" setting without (opaquing out) any other split view that I have up at the time...

I use the SI Sensitivity setting as a "brightness" control for my SI image (as different water conditions/bottom compositions will make the image brighter/darker..)

SI Sensitivity up will brighten the image...
    SI Sensitivity down will darken the image...

I frequently change this SI Sensitivity setting as my SI image changes in brightness...

Here is a screenshot of the "SI Enhance" window overlayed onto the SI image... I had to adjust the sensitivity to 19 to get this mud bottom to reflect enough sonar echo to get an acceptable image...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor