Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trip Report, Ditto area gravel Pit

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trip Report, Ditto area gravel Pit

I went to the Ditto Gravel pits this morning for a few hours. I didn’t find any fish swimming the open water or chasing bait. I started jigging the vegetation on the edges in 12 inches of water and found some Crappie, mostly Black but a few White mixed in. Kept half a limit for dinner and threw the rest back. No slabs, most fish were 9 to 10 inches. 1/16 oz Chartreuse Marabou jigs was the bait of choice. Caught 68 total for the morning.

About 6:30AM when I got on the water it was a little chilly, I’m counting the days till fall and winter drawdown on Lake Wheeler!!

Name:  120909.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  69.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Nice mess of fish !
    So u was pushing your
    Spider rig close to the vegetation..
    An do u spider all year long ..

Post Thanks / Like

I usually spider rig in the summer when Crappie are scattered in the shallow water I like to fish, but the tactic works anytime. It works best when fish are in a narrow depth band. If you’re in deeper water and see the baitfish are all at say 8 feet on your fish finder then set you jigs at 8 feet or a little shallower (Crappie will come up to take a bait, but don’t look down). Today spider rigging wasn’t working. That usually happens in the fall. As the water cools it’s able to hold more oxygen. The fish will begin to school up chasing the baitfish. Instead of scattered fish you’ll be able to take several fish off the same tree or piece of brush. In the main lake the fall transition will take several weeks of cooler weather to get going. In shallower water, four or five days of cooler weather may do it. Today I dropped to a single 10 foot pole and started jigging the edges of the floating vegetation. Same tactic we all use in the spring. In the spring a cold front will shut the fish down, in the fall they're less effected because they're just hitting the buffet before winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok ..thanks for the info.
    One day I'm going to catch up
    With ya an go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, when I get a couple days off I want to come visit you. Since I bought my yak the only place I have used it is in the Little Warrior River, no crappie, just a few small bass and some cats. Im several miles from you but it would be worth the trip

Post Thanks / Like

Jbibb were do u fish on the little warrior
    I'm real close to their.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    Jbibb were do u fish on the little warrior
    I'm real close to their.
    I live in Morris, was raised in Warrior (right on the river). Where I fish depends on how much time I have. Anywhere from Deans Ferry Bridge to Buckshort Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

JBibb,

I need to drive your way, I heard the Warrior river has some huge Crappie!!

Give me a holler when you want to meet up, I usually start early and I'm heading for house by lunch most days.

Post Thanks / Like

Im not on the Black Warrior, Im on the Locust Fork of the Black Warrior. I know it has crappie, but Ive yet to find them.

Here is where I usually launch, you can use the coordinates to look around on google earth.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

O I see I'm closer to where little warrior run into big warrior..