Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: old plastic worms

Post Thanks / Like

Default old plastic worms

maybe a crazy question, but can i take some old worms and melt them into new plastic that i can use for jig bodies? And if the answer is yes, how do you go about melting the worms?

Post Thanks / Like

yes. just put them i an old pot and melt them on low heat slowly so you don't burn the plastic. keep colors together if you want the same color for jig bodies. mix them up and no telling what color you'll wind up with. use a popcicle stick to stir the plastic as it's melting or some kind of wooden stick.

Post Thanks / Like

yes u can. i use a microwave for 45 sec, stir, then another 45 sec and stir again. plastic should b pretty close so i zap it again for about 25 sec(in a pyrodx measuring cup). it smells worse than the store bought, "clean" plastic. i havent had any luck melting powerbaits. they end up clumpy and really stink. one more thing, the color of whatever it is u r melting will most of the time come out alittle darker. have fun, u can come up with some off the wall colors!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I remelt old worms in the microwave also. Not the one in the kitchen. Use the one you bought at a thrift store just for yourself that you keep in the garage or your workshed. Use a pyrex measuring cup. Wear safety gloves. I use welding gloves. Most of the time they are in the mix for darker colors. Do not overheat as they have a tendency to burn when you do.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Add some fresh plastic to the remelt process. This thins out and helps prevent the darker color you get from just remelting only. My results this way have been good.

Charlie