Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hush puppy help!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Hush puppy help!

Please help for some reason I'm hush puppy challenged! My puppies come out REAL Greasy and look like death warmed over. Can anyone share there tecnique and recipe?

Post Thanks / Like

I'll share my mom's recipe for hush puppies.Her instructions are simple to follow.This recipe makes all the fish taste good when served with these!

Hush Puppies:

Vegetable oil
    1 cup yellow cornmeal
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne
    1 egg
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    1 can cream-style corn (about 8 oz.)
    2 tablespoons buttermilk

In a deep-fat fryer, or saucepan,heat oil(2-4 inches) to 375 degrees.Mix the cornmeal,flour,sugar,baking powder,salt and the cayenne.Stir in the remaining ingredients until just combined.Drop batter by the tablespoonfuls into the hot oil.Fry a few at a time,turning over one, or two times,until dark golden brown,about 4 to 5 minutes.Drain on paper towels.Keep warm in 175 degree oven until all are done.
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

The oil wasn't hot enough if they are greasy...start dropping them in quickly as the temp hits 400 degrees, that way, as the temp drops witht he volume of puppies added it shouldn't go below 375 degrees...Hot oil is the KEY to non-greasy pups

Post Thanks / Like

the key to good hush puppies is to let them set for an hour before you drop them it makes a little stiffer batter.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care if you let them sit for a week...Drop them in some not proper temp oil and see what you get...

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Be careful. Too hot of grease and the outside browns when the inside is still dough. I cook 'em when the grease is hot enough to boil some when dropped in but not as hot as when I'm frying fish. IF you put 'em in too cold of grease they'll break apart, and yea, they'll be way too greasey to eat.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.