PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing rod

Bunk
08-22-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm looking to get a new rod. I want something with backbone for fishing 1/4oz jigs. I have the BBUL with rear reel seat 10ft. and love it but I think I need a stiffer rod for the heavy jigs. I would like to stay with the rear reel seat but I could go with a foward reel seat. Of the foward reel seats I'm thinking Russ Bailey 10'6" or Outlaw10'. Rear reel seats maybe Ozark, BnM Custom Crappie, or Grizzly Elite Brush Rod. All in 10' . I know I need to just go to Grizzly and put my hands on them but It's hard to get time to go. Only rods out of list above that I've had my hands on are the Outlaw and Custom Crappie. I liked both but I still prefer the rear seat rods. Feel free to give your opinions of the rods mentioned and rods not mentioned that would soot my needs. This rod would be used for dipping trees and buck bushes also.

jeepguyjames
08-23-2012, 12:04 AM
Check out st croix's.....have a few and couldn't be happier with them.....i know they make a panfish series in longer lengths, but honestly never had my hands on one yet.....for what its worth the premier, eyecon, and avid series is all I have exp with though.......

jnalley
08-23-2012, 05:43 AM
Ozark rods they have rear real seat that is stiffer than the bucks i have both love them the ozark handles the bigger jigs better and its not that much heavier than the bucks

ricky
08-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Remember...if you like to hold a rod balanced, like I do, you will need to get another rear seat or get a longer rod to keep it balanced...more length is more weight. The rod you hold in the store is completely different after you put the reel and tackle on.

Bunk
08-23-2012, 10:08 AM
I will be buying a new reel too so whatever rod I choose I can get a reel to balance it out.

eagle 1
08-24-2012, 01:35 PM
the custom comes with cork handle and rear reel seat .have been my favorite for several yrs . never fished any thing larger than a 1/8 oz. though .

MEATGETTER
08-24-2012, 02:42 PM
the ozark is top of the line !!!!!!!!!!!!

Xpress Fishing
08-24-2012, 02:56 PM
I got a b&m camo brushcutter to fish heavier jigs. Super sensitive tip and all the backbone you could ever need. I have a 10'6" Russ bailey and it's more whippy than the brushcutter but it's a good all around crappie pole.

Gomer Snerd
08-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Out of curiosity-- where do you use 1/4 oz jigs?

Bunk
08-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Windy days or deep water. Most guys I fish with just add a split shot to the jig but I rather increase my jig size.

Bunk
08-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Hey Meatgetter, do you like the Ozark better than the crappie getter?

MEATGETTER
08-24-2012, 05:41 PM
both are great rods, the ozark has a titanium tip and better guides than the crappie getter with a little more backbone without losing any sensitivitie !!! however it does cost a little more but your getting more !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donald@CrappieLogic
08-24-2012, 05:44 PM
The 12 foot b&m ultra light is the perfect jig pole in my opinion great all around jig pole plenty of back bone and extremely sensitive

Bunk
08-24-2012, 05:59 PM
The 12 foot b&m ultra light is the perfect jig pole in my opinion great all around jig pole plenty of back bone and extremely sensitive

I agree. I love my BnM ultra light but it's 10'. The 11'and 12' are bigger diameter blanks and probably have more backbone than my 10' but I love the feel of the 10'. Very light and sensitive and my go to rod for vertical jigging but there's time I would like to have a little more muscle.

Slab Junkie
08-24-2012, 06:07 PM

I can't speak for the OP but I know for me; when the water is south of 55 degrees and I am fishing anywhere from 30 to 45 feet deep. It also helps a bunch when the wind is blowing even it you aren't fishing quite that deep.

BTW I really like my 12' Crappie Getter. It is a rear seat but the 12 footer has just a little stub of handle even below the seat. It allows me to place it in a rod holder if I want but I still get the advantage of the better balance that a rear seat gives you. I believe the 10' and 11' don't have the stub below the seat.

Cmj
08-25-2012, 10:13 AM

I use a double jig setup when im single poling brush tops in water over 10 ft deep. I use a 1/4 oz jig with a 3 in slab slayr or paddle tail on the bottom and a 1/8 oz jig with a 2 in slab slayr or umbrella tube about 18 inches up from the bottom one. This works best in cold water and talk about heavy! The pole that i use for this setup is a 10' Berkley Cherrywood with a rear seat and a heavy baitcast reel to balance it. Works very well for me and i have caught crappie from 5 inches to 2 1/2 pounds on this setup.

(C.J.)

RCC
08-25-2012, 01:18 PM
The wife and I use the 12' bucks best ultra light just because it is lighter to fish with and balances well with the rear seat. We have also just purchased two Bucks custom crappie rods in a 12' to use if we need a pole with more backbone. It has the same rod blank as the BGJP except has the rear seat for balance and a cork handle to help feel the bite.

Generally, you will get what you pay for, and there are a bunch of poles out there that will do well in the same price range.

Bunk
08-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I ordered the Ozark rod. I don't like to buy a rod without handling it first but I think I'll like it. If not I will have it for a backup or for a fishing partner. Thanks to all who replied.