Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: need info on starting a state club

Post Thanks / Like

Default need info on starting a state club

we have a few guys saying we "need a ny crappie club" i would like some info from some of you that may have already gone through the process and should we try starting a local one first. how do we spark interest and if there are rules etc.
    thanks in advance,
    icejohn
    Take a kid fishing start a new friendship with nature.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

PM SLAB, "G" or CRAPPIEPAPPY. They are the smartest individuals here on c.com and they always give you great advice.

Welcome from Alabama.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Check Ms board think were working on 5 different clubs now.
    TOO MANY IDIOTS TO FEW BULLETS

Post Thanks / Like

I am by no means an expert but we've been through this trying to establish our club in west Tenn. Do your homework. Get on other clubs' websites and check out their bylaws, tournament rules, etc. If you're looking for sponsorships and donations from local businesses you'll need a checking account, which means you'll need a tax id number, which also means you'll have to file tax returns. You can apply for non profit status -- check the IRS website for all the requirements, fees and paperwork to submit. Also consider what kind of liability you will incur when hosting tournaments. It's real easy to want to start a club, but it takes work to get one up & running and try to maintain momentum. Make sure you've got a good core group that is committed and willing to divide responsibilities. Good luck!
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

All these posts are good advice and it depends on what you want in a "club". Several of us up here found ourselves liking the idea of holding events similar to the boys down south...one in the spring and one in the fall. That kinda started the ball rolling by getting some interest going. We have a "core group" that stays pretty involved in the decisions on those events. I guess I wouldn't classify us as a "club" as we don't collect dues, or have sponsors (well except for Ed who's just an all around great guy who loves to see things like this happen), or hold regular meetings, etc. We do hold SlabFests twice a year and all our people are C.com members, although we invite others to join us. It's a slow growing proposition, but that's OK too.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Visit our site www.westalabamacrappie.com
    We have all of our rules posted there. Pm me with any questions you may have.

Minnerman
    Crazyanglertackle.com
    Slab Bandits Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

We started our club the end of 2010 with our first tournament was the spring of 2011.
    We have well over 100 members and average 33 boats a tournament here in Indiana.
    Check out our website Home - Indiana Slab Masters

Ask away and I will help in anyway I can.
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats

Post Thanks / Like

well thanks you all i'll check out some of the links left and go from there will hopefully create some interest on the new york board.
    i don't think for now there will be enough interest fo a full fledged club with dues, tax id etc. hopfully get some guys together at least for
    a day or so fishing event. but fornow i'll relay some of this info and go from there.
    thanks to all for the great response.
    icejohn
    Take a kid fishing start a new friendship with nature.

Post Thanks / Like

I started a club a few years ago, and kept it small for one reason, money.
    First question you need to answer and it will determine how formal the club needs to be.
    Money? Are you going to charge entrance fees? If so, what happens to the money?
    Are you going to charge club dues?
    If your tournament is not 100% payback at each tournament you MUST file as a Not-For-Profit Organization (NFP) with the federal government and maybe with your local state government.
    If you are going to charge club dues, again you need to be clasified as a NFP.
    Per government NFP classification, you must have by-laws, file taxes, and other requirements.
    If your going NFP, recruit a Tax Accountant, specifically one who knows the laws regarding NFP, otherwise you will pay for those services.

Regardless of what you do, find an attorney and have them help you draft up your tournament registration form. You don't want to be personally liable for anything. In this litigous society you need to CYA. You can review our HOI Crappie Club registration form. It was approved by an attorney. However, the laws in your state may be different, so you may have different requirements for your registration form.

Check with your local SCORE office. They typically have someon on staff you can answer questions about Not-For-Profit, or point you in the right direction, in your area. SCORE is a free resource to small businesses, and that is what a your club will be, a legal entity.

I decided I didn't want to go through all of the legal NFP requirements until I was sure there was enough interest, and started just a local club. We pay 100% of the tournament fees at every tournament. The club keeps no money. Plus to avoid the hassle of someone bouncing a check, we accept only cash and only at the time of registration on tournament day.

The draw back is that participants can decide at the last minute not to attend and Im sure its happened more than once, weather being the major reason. Had the participants paid in advance, and no option for money back, Im sure we would have more participants.

Consider the economy as well. Right now most people are holding onto their money for a rainy day. The economy is still shaky at best, and the businesses are holding back until after the election in November. Its a good time to work out the kinks, get the word out, find sponsors, news outlets, etc. That way when the economy kicks back in gear and people have money to spend, they will already know about your organization.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just start out by organizing some fruit jar tourneys on your state board and build from there. If ya get a good following and steady flow of anglers your half way there from the go.