Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Show me your Kayak Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Default Show me your Kayak Cooler

Looking for options for kayaks/bass busters. Best way to keep fish while out catchin' 'em. My cooler is 15" in length.
    Name:  8-12-12.jpg
Views: 8982
Size:  32.0 KB
    Last edited by RetiredRR; 08-12-2012 at 06:20 PM.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

I usually do the C&R, but I'd look at a Igloo Playmate, its the one with with a handle on top, and push a button on the side, the top will slide/rotate over to open, would never loose the lid or have it fall overboard.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I like softsided coolers, they fit in a variaty of spaces. Usually just a 6 pack size but occassionally bring 12 or 18 pack size to use for fish. I freeze bottled water for keeping things cold, and use grocery bag or two to help keep the slime down. The softsided is quiter (no ice banging around) and for me works well.

Post Thanks / Like

I use small gatorade bottles to freeze my water, but haven't made up my mind wheather I want to use soft side or what I have in my yak
    now. I like the idea of using plastic bags to bag up crappie/gills to keep the slime factor down.........but, could live with whatever as long
    as I was bringing some home. Finally getting some rain here and hopefully the weather is changin' to the cooler side of the century mark.
    Appreciate your input/ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredRR View Post
    Looking for options for kayaks/bass busters. Best way to keep fish while out catchin' 'em. My cooler is 15" in length.
    I have an old Igloo 48 qt that rides behind me. My son-in-law can't figure how I can through my drinks and lunch in there with the fish. I tell him slime makes it all fine.

Post Thanks / Like

A little slime never hurt me either.......LOL
    I thought a gallon zip lock would take care of anything I didn't want to get slimed, like a sandwich, cold drink and my snickers.
    If I had to double bag it, it wouldn't bother me either. Whatever it takes to keep me going.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a soft sided cooler for lunch, water, bait, and keepers. It gets jammed below deck in my front hatch until I need it.
    If vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what's baby oil made from?

Post Thanks / Like

No pics but In my kayak I use a small cheap styrofoam cooler for my catch fastened on top of the stern. I'm a bit of a cooler-aphile so I don't want my nice coolers getting slimed and bloodied and otherwise fishy. I've drilled 1 hole through the lid and 1 through the side of the cooler and threaded a rope though it to make a hinge for the lid. A knot is on the short end of the rope (on top of the cooler) to keep it from pulling through and the rope is threaded into the cooler and out the side, with another small knot on the inside of the cooler to keep the "hinge" spacing where I want it. The end that comes out of the cooler is long so I can use it to tie the cooler to the boat. Beverages and food go in another small cooler infront of me under the bow.

If I'm in my bucket boat, I sit on a slightly larger (maybe 20 qt?) cooler and in one side I put a large rubbermaid container, with some ice in it. The catch go in the rubbermaid and my beverages/lunch are in the otherside of the cooler.
    Learn to not run from your problems....except when your problems are giant boars.