Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about trolling motors

Post Thanks / Like

Default question about trolling motors

Hopefully soon I will be able to purchase a boat and would like some answers on trolling motor options. I am confused as to what the difference is between the Minkota co-pilot, I-pilot, and auto-pilot. Which order do they go in from least to best as far as their options and what all they do, or are they about the same thing?

Post Thanks / Like

The I pilot is the top of the line. It has a GPS head which will maintain any heading you set, will record a track and retrace it from start to finish or finish to start and it has an electronic anchor which will hold you in a spot you select. (within 10 ft, depending on wind and current)
    I got one in March and it is one slick tool, especially when you fish by yourself.
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks SeaRay, how many greenbacks will one of those set me back

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The I-pilot is a longliner's dream come true. As SeaRay says, it does it all. It has built in autopilot which steers your boat by way of GPS keeping you headed in a dircetion you chose. You could aslso say the I-pilot also has co-pilot since it is ran from a waireless remote. It also has cruise control which keeps your boat at a constant speed that you set. The spotlock feature has had some complaints as it doesnt hold the boat at a tight enough spot to suit alot of dockshooters/brushpile fishermen. Personally, I dont think the elect. steer trolling motors are the best for the "bass fishermen" type fishermen that likes getting into the tight trees/stumps single poling/verticle fishing for crappie, but that's just my opinion. Do a search on MinnKota motors and you can read about all the advantages of owning the I-pilot, an if I might add also do a search on You-tube as well so you can see the videos first hand on all the advantages it offers over the cable steer motors.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

The 12 volt which I have is around $1200 to $1400 depending on a couple of options, the 24 and 36 go on upwards of $1600. Took me a long time to pull the trigger but I am glad I did. Like GaBowman said the electric steer does not react as quickly as the cable models and that was one of my concerns since I fish some flooded timber swamps, but as I got use to it I found it works fine. I opted for the Terrova which has a foot pedal also, but I have yet to use it. If you go with the Powerdrive which is remote steer only it is a couple hundred less.
    SeaRay

Post Thanks / Like

Searay I was considering the Terrova but I am a little confused on that too. Is the 12 to 1400 a 40 something to 50 something thrust? I was leaning more towards 24 volt for longer trolling times and maybe 80 pound thrust. I had a motorguide 46 on a 17 foot aluminum boat one time and it was useless. not enough power and would not cut through any grass at all.

Post Thanks / Like

The 12 volt Terrova has 55# thrust. I have a 16.5 Basstracker and it was set up for 12 volt with the MG TM which had 43# thrust I think. The MK was a big boost from 43 to 55, but I longline and jig so I am seldom running at more than .8 to 1.2 MPH and if I do need to hit the high button it moves me really well. My boat is not as heavy as some of the bigger glass rigs with 150 or more HP hanging off the back, so it depends on what you are driving. For me the 12V is plenty.
    SeaRay

Post Thanks / Like

All three units you mentioned are based off a Terrova or Powerdrive motor. The auto- pilot function was built into the control board from the factory with each motor. It allowed the motor to follow a compass course that you set by pointing in the direction chosen. The co-pilot was an add on that allowed you to control the motor with a remote device just like your TV. I think they ran about $150.00 The I-pilot can be added to an existing Terrova or Powerdrive V2 motor, or each can be purchased new with the I-pilot installed already. If you want to add an I-pilot to a motor without one, the add on can be purchased for about $400.00.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks the motorguide was not strong enough. i am leaning towards a lowe stinger 175 do you think the 55 would work fine

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on how you plan to fish. Mine will run for hours on one battery long lining. Never got below 50% charge. If you had to run it on high, fighting winds all day, it would not last as long. Your boat will be heavier than mine so that will make some difference, but I did not want the hassle of rewiring for 24 volts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast