Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Serrated Blades

Post Thanks / Like

Default Serrated Blades

Does anyone know of a site that will SHOW how to sharpen serrated blades for an American Angler filet knife? I've dulled 2 sets of blades and need to sharpen them but not sure how to do this and I live to far away from any town to have them sharpened professionally. Thank you, Ferdi

Post Thanks / Like

Buffing compound and a cloth wheel on your grinder will work.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Main street products of White Plains, New York makes a small handheld sharpener that i use on my serated blades and it does a great job. Don't know if they have a website as i found mine at Walmart for $6. It's american made too.

Post Thanks / Like

you can buy replacement blades for the american angler at wally world.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    you can buy replacement blades for the american angler at wally world.
    The only trouble in my town is that both only have the long blades.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink But, Steve .......

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ
    The only trouble in my town is that both only have the long blades.
    You're supposed to have to NEED the long blades :D to filet all those monster slabs !!

But, seriously ... I have an AA filet knife, with three sets of blades - 8" sword shaped, 8" rounded end, and 10" beveled end blades. I prefer using the 10" blades on all sizes of fish. With the extra length comes a little more flexability. There's little to no flex with the other two sets of blades. And the serrated "teeth" are longer, on the 10" set, than the other two sets.
    If it's your preference to use the 8" blades ... they can be purchased at Bass Pro Shops (on-line) for around $8 (+s/h).

And on a note of curiosity, after reading some E-opinions on the replacement blades, I checked to see where the blade sets I have were made. The "sword" shaped 8" set are stamped "Made in Japan". The 8 & 10 inch sets have no origin stamp. According to some reviews, the new replacement blades now being sold, are made in China ... and not so great. Since the blades may not be stamped, one may want to check the packaging for the country of origin (if it makes a difference to you).

And if you want a tutorial on sharpening a serrated edge blade, check here: http://gpvec.unl.edu/filesdatabase/f...p1.htm#sharp_s (about 1/2 way down the page) ......... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Knife sharpener

deleted
    Last edited by pescatore; 12-16-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the information and web sites to check out. You all were very helpful. I especially like the article Crappiepappy posted. I haven't had this knife longer than a year and I purchased an extra set of blades when I bought the knife. I'd like to think that I had wore it out but ..... hehe I think I might be dulling the blades filetting on a granite stone so I'm getting rid of the stone and I'll get another set of blades, but I still want to sharpen these if I can. Again, thanks for your help. Ferdi aka Fred
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 06-09-2006 at 11:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew it couldn't have been from catching a bunch of fish!!!!! Stop using your fillet knife to cut steak and ribs.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Yer killin me Scott. hehehe