Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pretty good day today.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pretty good day today.

Friend of mine granted me permission to take her 10 year old son out fishing today, after she threaten me with a shotgun. I understood her concerns as a parent. I brought it up to her many times that i felt comfortable with her coming along, but her work schedule wouldn't allow it. Nevertheless, i took him out to Halleck Pond today with the intent on catching some catfish after church today. We only 2 hours before i had to take him back home, so i tried to find the best place at 3pm that would be suitable for catfishing. Took us about an hour and 15 min to get the first hit from a catfish. Bout a 3lb catfish that i hooked and he helped with the net to pull him in. Kid was so excited and yelling. He was a little impatient, but stuff like that takes time to develop. He had a great time between learning how to use the spinning reel for the first time, to using the net to try and catch the smaller fish near the shore.

I had 4 more bites after the first one, but because my attention was directed either watching his line, or watching where he was walking around, i missed the opportunity to hook them. Took the one catfish back to grandparents house and he watched me filet it. He had a change of heart about eating the catfish after i fileted him. But when his grandma used some cajun seasoning on the two filets, he changed his mind again and had a piece. Said he didn't like because it was soft, unlike a salmon, but he ate the whole thing regardless.

He said he wants to go fishing again soon. Maybe this time i can coax the mother to join us, so she won't have to threaten me with a shotgun.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you and the boy had a good time but I wouldnt want Momma mad at me!
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Got to watch those shotgun toten mommas there Chris. Sometimes they are used for marriage proposals. Rofl Good job taken the youngun fishing, Chris. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, go fish for bluegills and sunfish. Kids don't care, they just want to catch fish, lot's of them. They will let you know when they're up to something bigger.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

100 degrees today. Glad i didn't go fishing, helped with yard work instead. Most of my luck has been catfishing at Halleck Pond. Since its a public park, i felt that would help put the mother more to ease. Bluegill and Sunfish are out there, but very little. I did give him a rig with small hook and bobber to try and catch the smaller panfish, but alas they were picking it off. So he much rather use the net to try and grab them. For the larger panfish, it would more than likely Walnut Creek or Offutt Base Lake. But with them being further out of the way and a little less public. I would feel comfortable if the mother or the grandparents would accompany him for that. Which i have been very open about since the beginning.

I've known the grandmother for 10 years as we were co-workers and became very good friends with her and her husband, but her daughter i'm afraid i didn't get to know too well. Shame really, i used to have a fling for her. I guess i still do, but we won't go in to that.

It seems the mother and i both have a common interest in the outdoors. She likes hunting quail and deer, and i like fishing for practically anything.