Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At the Dollar Tree dollar store...

Post Thanks / Like

Default At the Dollar Tree dollar store...

I've been thinking back to all I've found over the last few years at the local dollar store that I've used in my quest for lure making materials and other items used for fishing in general. Some are seasonal, some not. Just thought I'd drop in and share.

First in the list is gift bag shredding by the Voila company. I've found the silver mylar, gold mylar and red as well as the iridescent strands in the bag of "clear" to be literally a blessing when making tails and skirts on small jigs. My first try was with the silver and red. I tied a vertical fan shape on a 1/16 oz red lead head in silver strands and then added a red stripe down the middle of each side and used red thread for the tying. So far the little silver and red jig has caught 21 species of fish.

Lately, I've been experimenting and tying with the iridescent semi-transparent strips......really nice when laid in layers over a shinier holographic gold found at the store at Christmas time usually used for icicles on the tree.

To make "eyes" for crawdads, I once found a round hairbrush with knobs on the ends of the bristles. On the other end, I found them to be anchored in the handle with hooks which could be pulled with pliers.

The hair extenders in the toy section for little girls come in a good assortment of colors, very fine strands to add color and action to jigs. Knotted, they make joints on beetle fly legs. I cut the hair into 6 inch hanks secured first with those electric cord straps.

The nail files made with metal blades and diamond dust make good hook sharpeners.....found near the nail polish and clippers. I think you get three for a buck.

Found some Hard as Nails "Extra Wear" I've been finishing my ties with as a sealer. Clear, no color.

Good Hunting at the store............Mac

Post Thanks / Like

Thats awesome. You're definitely thinking outside the box for your jigs. I usually just pickup the tinsel and tie some up for the season.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the Dollar Tree Stores. But hey, Ima cheap trick.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

The first time I ever went into a Dollar Tree, I found some D batteries for my aerator. Some were double packs, some were 3 packs and some others 4. No prices were stated so I took an example of each to the 16 year old girl at the counter dutifully alternating between filing her nails and replying to an ultra important text. I asked, how much are these?

And she replied with the oddest inflection that was a cross between valley girl, Grenada MS drawl and someone who has put up with stewpit people to the point of being gagged with a spoon, "tuuuuh, everything is, like, a dollar?"

At this point, I knew there was no recovery from being the subject of her next text with the first sentence being "OMG, old people are, like, stewpit", so I politely paid for my 4 packs of batteries and quickly left. However, I did get my revenge. The total was $4.28 with tax, so I handed her a $5, two $1s and thirty nine cents in change and tried not to giggle.

True story.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago they had a ball that had 1and 1/2 inch spikes on it ,probably a 100,I cut each off and put on a 1-32 hook with no bar,it makes the best stinger bait you can buy. It will not tear and can stretch it a long ways. The draw back is you cannot let it touch a plastic baits where it will melt and that style they quick carring saying it had a ball in it that a kid could swallow,and they only had a few colors and I am a white bait fisherman so I made a mold and now make my own, like them better than brought baits
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

very interesting, any chance you could post pic of jigs made

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The dollar tree pony tail holders are excellent for holding the 2 pieces of rod together when you break them down.

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

In addition to several items I stock for fishing trip lunches, I always check out Dollar Tree's nail polish selection. Once, I scored several great colors for jig heads and bands around my floats. At checkout, I got the raised eyebrow "Oh, reeeeealy?" look until explaining how crappie fishermen turn this good cheap stuff into a fryer full of sizzling fillets!

Post Thanks / Like

Great tips! TKS!
    I PRACTICE CATCH & FRY---DONT EVERYBODY ? Thumbs Up

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You will find a lot of jig making material there at Dollar Tree, Flea Markets, Thrift Stores and even women's beauty supply shops. The thrill is in the hunt. The prize is when a Crappie bites your lure presentation on something you made.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast