Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night stalking with jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night stalking with jigs

Hi Guys/Gals, Ive been doing very well the past few trips out on my home lake here in Raleigh, took 15 home last night, I use a drop shot setup with minnows. 99% of the time, I'd love to try some jigs @ night.
    does anyone have any good ones that are successful for them? from all the reading im doing here, it sounds like alot of big fish come on jigs not minnows, love catching them in the spring on jigs here, but never messed around with them @ night.
    Thanks a bunch an have a great day
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I like using glow plastics and hand tied jigs. Alot of dark colors like black purple and blue work well too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Razoreege, I just purchased a few glow plastics, looking forward to fishing them next week when I go again,
    Are you fishing them strait down near the light, or casting out and retrieving them,

have a great day
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

The lake i fish the most is pretty shallow so I usually fish them with a small ice cork by casting out and jigging them back

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

I use my hand tied jigs in 1/8 & 1/4 oz at night. I tie it on the bottom and above that about 18" I tie on a Gamakatsu #1 or 2 drop shot hook, just love this hook, for the minnow. The bigger fish seem to mistletoe come on the jig!
    Last time out the 16" crappie I posted was caught on one of the jigs in my Sig. I do sometimes use a black and chart jig also. It works!
    also tie on the hook with a Palamor knot and run the extra long tag line back through the hook eye to make it stand out. Then tie on the jig on the end of that extra long tag line, then your jig is weight and bait so I call this my weight and bait rig!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    I use my hand tied jigs in 1/8 & 1/4 oz at night. I tie it on the bottom and above that about 18" I tie on a Gamakatsu #1 or 2 drop shot hook, just love this hook, for the minnow. The bigger fish seem to mistletoe come on the jig!
    Last time out the 16" crappie I posted was caught on one of the jigs in my Sig. I do sometimes use a black and chart jig also. It works!
    also tie on the hook with a Palamor knot and run the extra long tag line back through the hook eye to make it stand out. Then tie on the jig on the end of that extra long tag line, then your jig is weight and bait so I call this my weight and bait rig!
    Thanks much Skip, I'm looking forward to testing out a few next week, i know nothing beats a minnow for action at night, i go thru my minnows pretty quick at night, tons of trash fish, lol those small cats an white perch sure do get in on the action, jigs just might cut down on them, still plan on taking minnows though,

good fishing to ya Skip

Post Thanks / Like

Your welcome and I bet a big % of the bigger crappie come on the jig. I do believe the minnow if nothing else helps activate the smaller crappie and they activate the bigger ones. I am not saying all the big ones will be on the jig, but I bet a good many of them will.

Good luck to you,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albiechaser View Post
    Thanks much Skip, I'm looking forward to testing out a few next week, i know nothing beats a minnow for action at night, i go thru my minnows pretty quick at night, tons of trash fish, lol those small cats an white perch sure do get in on the action, jigs just might cut down on them, still plan on taking minnows though,

good fishing to ya Skip
    I started night fishing two years ago , and like you I thought the minnow was the only way. I tried a jig and havent bought minnows since, not for night fishing any way. I can catch several on jigs before one takes a minnow. But every body of water is differnt.

Post Thanks / Like

That's great to hear CossaSlab, sure looking forward to it, think im going tues or weds, no thunder boomers and Im there.
    What style/color works for you? are you fishing it strait down or casting?

Good fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I use Bobby Garland baby shad jigs. Electric chicken is a good color to start with but I have found that the darker colors sometimes works better at night. I will cast to the outside edge of the light and use a slow steady retrieve, or drop straight down on them and slowly reel back up. A 1/16 oz jig head works well for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast