Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone ever build their own fly rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone ever build their own fly rod?

Just wondering. I went to an Orvis store and played around with their rods and liked them alot. Just cant see spending that much on something like that when I have a fly rod already. Looked at some kits on line and some of them are from 69.00 - 200.00 that I looked at. The rod i have is a 6wt 3 piece. Was thinking of maybe making or trying to make a 2 or 3 wt rod to fish ponds for small bass and brim. What you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people are really into rod building. I've never been much of a DIY guy, though.

If you're put off by Orvis prices, there are cheaper options. TFO and Redington come to mind.

Cabela's: TFO Lefty Kreh Signature II Fly Rods

Cabela's: Redington Pursuit Fly Rods

Post Thanks / Like

I looked in to them. just kind of like doing things the hard way. Two years ago I purchased a long bow blank that was laminated. I shaped it and finished it my self. turned out nice and gave me something to do in the evenings for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always thought about doing one up and also a spinning rod but I have too many fishing hobbies now. if you want to see or get some good places to get that type of blank check out the guys over at Rod Building (Powered by Invision Power Board) anything you want to know they can help you out!!!!!

You'll have to register but if you're going to get into rod building they'll take the headache out of building one.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I'll check them out.