Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Neighbors YOUNG kid shooting pellet gun unsupervised

Post Thanks / Like

Default Neighbors YOUNG kid shooting pellet gun unsupervised

Just wanted to run this by you all to see what you thought about this situation and what you would do if it happened to you. The neighbor next door has a real nice kid. He is very polite and always very well behaved and never a bother in any way whatever. Well the other day I was in the pool and saw the kid and his smaller cousin come into the back yard and saw that he had a gun of some sort and he sat up a target(milk carton) and proceeded to shoot at it. I wandered to the edge of the pool close to the side he was shooting in. He was shooting toward the back of thier lot where there is a house or two in range as we are in the city and these lots are small and houses are close together. Well here is the most disturbing part of the story... As I watched and probably unbeknownst by the kid he suddenly turned the gun right at me and shot it. The pellet hit the top coping of the pool I guess within a yard or so of my head. Just guessing from the sound of the impact but needless to say closer than I wanted it to be. I do know that these pellet guns can be lethal if hit in the right place. Anywho it became imminantly obvious to me that this child had no clue that he was shooting a dangerous gun and had no clue not to point it at other people and their property. I think he is not only too young to be shooting this gun by himself but that most importantly he has had no instruction in the use and most importantly SAFE USE o fsuch a gun. Not to mention that it is ILLEGAL for him to shoot it int the city limits.

So besides it being illegal to shoot the gun in the city limits I am most disturbed that the parent would let the kid out to shoot it without supervision of any kind and obviously with no training of any sort. The house is a rental and I know the owner who was my previous neighbor. So I decided to call him as opposed to talking to the kids mother next door as I dont really know her too well. She is his daughter though. I did have a friendly conversation with the kid when the incident occured. I spoke to him as if he were my own kid and tried to tell him that he need to be careful where he discharged the gun and be aware of where he was pointing it. I told him that it could hurt someone bad if it hit them. He said he would be careful but I dont know if I made an impression on him or not. Probably just scared min as he quickly disapeared back out of sight. Anyway I have not heard back from anyoen about this and dont know if the kid is going to continue to run around the neighborhood shooting this pellet gun unsupervised.

What action do you all think is warrented here? I dont want to just call the police and have them take the gun from the kid but that is what I understand they will do since he was shooting it illegally in the city limits. I would most like for someont to assume the responsability of oversight and providing the necessary training fo rthe kid. I would be quite worried abou my kids if I had them and am worried about the neighboring kids behind us,

Post Thanks / Like

I would go to the kids parents and tell them the same that you told the kid,sometimes parents are unaware of the law and also unaware of the real danger of a pellet rifle.Offer to train the kid in proper gun safety,with their permission,If that fails you have done your part for the community and report the kid and their parents before someone is seriously injured

Post Thanks / Like

HillBilly I was thinking something along those lines. I just do not know the Mom and have no idea how she would take me butting into her life. They seem to be somewhat withdrawn as neighbors and we never see them out hardly except the kids some on the weekend. I would like for the grandfather who I did call to take care of it but so far it seems that he is not doing anything. I think you are right that they do not realize the gravity of the whole thing. There were two separate instances around this area a couple years ago which resulted in two children being killed by pellet gun injury. It is serious stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=FishCrazy;1962616] I just do not know the Mom and have no idea how she would take me butting into her life. QUOTE]
    That would be the least of my worries. I would've been on her doorstep immediately. I had a kid throw a rock once at my work truck from a driveway as I was driving by. Hit the side of the vehicle. (Couldv'e been a window with someone sitting in the passenger seat). I did a u-turn, pulled in the driveway and knocked on the door, explained what happened and got the next best thing to a front row seat of a UFC fight. Daddy whooped that boy up and down the driveway along with his brother because they lied when he asked what they had done. Almost 10 years to the day, I drive by this house daily, I see that boy (Now a late teen) mowing the yard, washing his truck, etc. Looks like he turned out alright.

Post Thanks / Like

alamance you have a great point and I do intend to bring this to the moms attention if her dad doesnt do so soon. I sure dont want anything bad to happen from his inexperience with this weapon. Hi sdad who is not living with them gave him the gun but it appears he did not give him any other necessary information to go with the gun. Seems a bit irresponsible on both mom and dads part.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is how I see it... If the kid has not been back out there then let it be..

Post Thanks / Like

I have not seen him out since that day. I told the wife just that the other day since we had not seen him we should let it lay and see what happens. Thanks for the reply REDBOAT. I do fear for teh kids though. They dont have a clue about the gun they have been gifted and I sure hope that nothing bad happens from it.