Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Night fishing equipment

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night fishing equipment

I was doing some research on night fishing equipment particularly lights and I was thinking about making one so I went to an electronics store where I found this flexable strip of super bright LEDs which can, depending on which contact I apply power to, can be red, blue or green. Mix them and get white or other colors just by adding a switch to each contact. I bought a foot of this strip which is in a clear flexable strip that is just cut with scissors and is completely waterproof. I wired it up for 12v and plugged it into the 12v outlet on my boat and lit up the entire garage. So with the LEDs, the wire, the cigarete lighter type 12v plug and the clear silicone to cover the contact points where I soldered the wires, I have about $12 invested in this submersible very bright green led fishing light which draws less than an amp so it'll run all night and not even make a dent in the battery. I'm thinking that I'll probably attach that LED strip to a piece of metal for weight so it'll sink without additional weight. That strip has an adhesive back and if I thought for even a minute that it would stay on and not be torn off by running or loading, I'd afix it to the hull of my boat and all I'd have to do to fish at night is flip a switch and the whole underside of my boat would become a fish attracting light, but I think that amount of cool might cause some kind of unbalance in the universe.

I'm going to try it out this weekend, I'll take pictures and make a full report.

Post Thanks / Like

Please do, this is DIY at work, kinda like a billwaub project. I like the while underside of the boat idea, the hell with the universe. Good luck.Thumbs Up
    Team Double D - " We're not famous, but we should be."

Post Thanks / Like

I also bought one of those florescent green lights they sell at bass pro for a comparison. I'm anxious to try them both out. Although, the one I made has it all over the BP light because I can make it red, blue, green, white, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious to know if the two greens are similar in color/wavelength....let us know how it goes for you! Good luck

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Some guys attach to a piece of PVC and cut to desired length and then place it in a rod holder on the boat. That way it stays the same depth and distance from boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, tried out the light Saturday night. It seemed like it was going to work, within5-10 minutes, the zooplankton showed up and was really working the light and within about another 10 minutes the bait fish started showing up. Around that same time the lightning started. We watched it get a little closer and called a friend who checked the radar since we had no service where we were on the lake. He said that it looked like there were some storms moving our way. Not knowing that lake that well and it being dark, etc., we headed in. Of course, it never rained and about the time we got back to our room, the lightning was about done.

I put the light that I bought form BP out also and it probably put out a little more light while not really brighter, and didn't seem to draw the zooplankton like the LEDs did. I wish I could have been out there longer and given it a real test, but it looked like it was going to work.