PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Crankbaits in Shallow water

crappiefarmer
05-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Do You Cranking masters out there have success pulling cranks in say 6 to 8 feet of water? Do anything on black crappie at these depths as that is all I have? What kind of cranks do You use to achieve a shallow running depth but get the bait away from the boat as to not spook the fish? All advice and opinions welcome. Thanks.CF

M R Dux
06-01-2012, 06:43 AM
6-8 feet of water usually put me into panic mode since I normally target water 12+ feet deep when running 200 and 300 Bandits. An occasional hump or point can really be productive but dredging the bottom leads to all kinds of issues normally.

I would target shallow water (6-8) with 100s and 200s and be very particular to how much line I let the baits out on. Where I might run my 200s 90 feet back in 12', I would probably start out running them 50-60 feet back. I would also consider running drop rods with 100s carolina rigged off each side with the baits no more than 1/2 the water depth down. Get a copy of the Bandit depth chart, laminate it and keep it handy to gauge how much line you need out.

I have found if I have the need to work water that shallow, my preferred technique is long lining with Hot Grubs on 1/8 oz jigheads. The pain of hanging baits up is much less when losing a jighead and body than it is losing Bandits.

CrappiePappy
06-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Hey Woodsgoat slaughterer .... I don't troll much of anything, least of all crankbaits, but have you considered using the more shallow running (short/square lipped) cranks for your shallow waters ?? Or you could use some short jerkbait style cranks (long skinny ones). Or, if you don't have any of either of those, but still want to use deep diver cranks ... use the trolling motor on a low speed !!

Personally .... I'd opt to drag some (marabou) Roadrunners, and use the trolling motor to troll with. A buck & a quarter Roadrunner loss is much less painful than a $5 crankbait loss.

... cp :cool:

callshy
06-01-2012, 08:36 AM
In the shallow water I would stick with a larger jig or some type of swimbait. Hard to find cranks that will run this shallow and be productive in my opinion. 10' is about as shallow as I will go.

jimp
06-01-2012, 09:57 AM
+1 on the jigs, you can double up 2 jigs per line and would be an easier trip thru the shallows.

gabowman
06-01-2012, 10:12 AM
If youre gonna pull jigs in water 6'-8' deep and want them way away from the boat I'd pull 1/32nds. They should be running close to 5' deep if running .8 mph. To go to heavier jigs in that shallow of water you cant cast out as far or you'd have to run a faster speed. Me, personally, I'd pull 1/16ths about 6' deep with the jigs out about 3/4 of a full cast (normally runs about 8' deep on a full cast) and speed up to 1.0 mph if I noticed them dragging bottom.

Tracker123
06-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Hard to find cranks that will run this shallow and be productive in my opinion. 10' is about as shallow as I will go.

In most places I fish, the water is never more than 10 feet. It must be nice. I pull cranks regular in the summer. 200's thirty feet behind the boat. Just fast enough to see the rod tips quiver from the crankbait action. The trolling motor doesn't spook them.

Spawn
06-01-2012, 04:13 PM
100,200's are you best for shallow running, good luck

KDAVID1
06-01-2012, 04:42 PM
we pull in 6-8 around here--100, 200 for sure. not sure about the black crappie though but if that is all that is around Im sure you could catch em.

crappiefarmer
06-01-2012, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=crappiepappy;1933312]Hey Woodsgoat slaughterer .... I don't troll much of anything, least of all crankbaits, but have you considered using the more shallow running (short/square lipped) cranks for your shallow waters ?? Or you could use some short jerkbait style cranks (long skinny ones). Or, if you don't have any of either of those, but still want to use deep diver cranks ... use the trolling motor on a low speed !!

Personally .... I'd opt to drag some (marabou) Roadrunners, and use the trolling motor to troll with. A buck & a quarter Roadrunner loss is much less painful than a $5 crankbait loss.

Yeah Pap, I see Your point and I make my own pony heads so really only cost me about 25 cents to make them. I don't know though. I have always like trolling a crank for stripers and those crankbaits they have out for crappie now are awfully tempting. I have tried it a couple times with not much success but have not given it a fair shot.CF

crappiefarmer
06-01-2012, 09:21 PM
I fish mostly cypress lined tannin stained coastal rivers. What would be some good colors for that type of sometimes clear, sometimes black, sometimes muddy water? I know some of You boys from Louisiana and Missip Fish that kind of water.CF

Bill Sellers
06-02-2012, 01:00 AM
In 5'-7' of water, I simply use Norman Tiny N's....2'-4' running cranks or if I'm fishing (deeper) 8'-10' of water I use the Deep Tiny N's which run 4'-6'. Put them on Church Tackle Mini Planer Boards to keep them away from the boat.50'-100' leads or 35' leads with an 1/8th oz. barrel weight will take the crank to the stated depth. I like the Norman's for the fact that they are only a 1 1/2" long which makes them ideal for fussy black's.

Hope this helps....good luck.

65pontiac
06-02-2012, 02:48 AM
Maybe you need to check these out. At a $1.50 each you would not feel so bad when you lose one.

2 inch mini crankbaits, minature crankbaits (http://www.themangler.com/2inchcrankbaits.php)

QUAKEnSHAKE
06-03-2012, 06:47 AM
I know I read here about a person used a Bitsy Minnow with a bobber with great success.

skeetbum
06-03-2012, 08:31 AM
65, those look good enough to try.

majflyboy
06-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Best day pulling cranks I ever had was in 5-6' of water using 300's with only enough line out to run them 2-3' deep. Caught a lot of big crappie that day right at the back of the boat.

genec
06-03-2012, 12:21 PM
I would also longline jigs in shallow water ,blacks do not hit cranks as well as whites,but will hit some

NIMROD
06-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Ever try dragging large tube jigs? I only jig fish, but when fish move off structure here and into shallow water 3 to 6'. We drag jigs about .4 mph on our 12' jig poles. Here the water is off colored most of the time so it does'nt bother them . If hot weather on Nimrod ,Shad and Crappie school in the shallow flats. I caught tons last year when it was over 100 degrees and sunny.

jimfish
06-03-2012, 02:52 PM
yInwater that shallow i prefer to push em. 2-3oz wt 30in trailer let the wt control depth.Use any crank bait you want.

65pontiac
06-03-2012, 09:21 PM
65, those look good enough to try.

That's what I thought to and ordered 4 of them. Should have them Tuesday. $9.00 for 4 includes delivery, can't get 2 others for that price.