Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ohio river crappie update

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ohio river crappie update

Went out from Boone's landing in boone county this weekend and found consistent numbers of 8-9 inch fish on the Ky side of the main river. Fish were parrallel to the bank suspended at 20 ft, in 25-30 FOW. Water temp was 76.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is Boone's Landing? This is first time I have ever heard of finding crappie on the main river. What were you catching them on? Good info to know. What kind of depth finder are you using?
    Thanks,
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

Boone's landing is the boat ramp located just past Big Bone state park. I caught them spider rigging 1/8 oz jigheads with 1.5" tube jigs in bright colors. I use a 3/8 oz split shot 2 ft. up from the jig to keep my lines vertical. I'm also using a Lowrance Elite 4 sonar/gps combo with Navionics software to help find the sharpest depth contours.

Kdfwr said that they were suprised by the good numbers of fish they were starting to see in the ohio river and its tributaries so I figured I'd give it a shot. It will be interesting to go back next april and actually spider rig in the creek by the boat ramp when they move into the shallower water to spawn. They're still catchable though even now that they've moved back out into deeper water in the main river.

These were the biggest crappie I've found so far this year in our not so great northern ky fisheries. Public fisheries that is. So far this year this is what I've found

Ohio river 8-9 inches
    Aj Jolly 4-6 inches
    Bullock Penn 7 inches nearly all fish.
    Haven't tried boltz yet but I suspect it will me much like Bullock. Makes me miss Kentucky lake and all of its 2 pounders.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. I too fish all of the above. My biggest keepers have come from AJ Jolly. I fish it a lot and know where you can get the better fish. Better fish will run 8-12". For Ohio river tribs I do better in the Meldahl pool. For Markland better creeks are Hogan, Laughery, Big Bone, Craigs and Tanner's. Boltz is similar to BP. For Ohio and Indiana lakes closeby, try East Fork lake and Brookville Lake. Both are very good crappie lakes.
    Bassky

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the catch and thanks for that good report. Welcome from GEORGIA.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.