Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: black fly spray?

Post Thanks / Like

Default black fly spray?

as i have posted before...will be coming up next month to spend some time on crane lake...i was told the black flies can be a nuisance..and there is a spray sold localy to combat the little burgers....anybody know what this is and where i can find it??? hope to catch my first small mouth ever on this trip!! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Any repellant with high levels of DEET will work. I wouldn't even putz with a product that doesn't have at least 80% Deet. Bug netting works too but is tough to fish while wearing the covers. I don't normally suggest DEET to anyone, but if you are headed where the bugs can be bad it will beat a trip from bug hell. Every store up there will probably have an assortment of products but get the highest level of DEET you can find and yes, it will be spendy.

A couple notes.

DEET can be hard on the skin, so when you're away from where the bugs are, wash your hide well to get it off you, then use a moisturizing hand/body lotion. DEET will wash/sweat off, so take it with you.

I've noticed more black flies in the shade or areas where the wind cannot move the air while at our cabin. If I am mowing in the sun, the bugs aren't so bad. Do a shady area though and the blood will flow unless I am doused with DEET. The DEET will ward off deer flies too.

Post Thanks / Like

If you smoke, while that makes you and evil destroyer of the universe, it does keep the bugs away. I agree, deet is the absolute best...however, strongly suggest you do not use it on your skin. Instead, wear a long-sleeve fishing shirt (they are not cheap, but protect you from sun, and actually keep you cooler), a good hat, long pants, and spray the clothing with the bug spray. It will keep the bugs at bay, and not be as bad for you... If you both smoke. Spray deet, and use fish scent, it will also keep all other living creatures away from you.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to add. Wear good solid boots or good shoes with heavy socks. If one of those deer flies gets you on the ankle, you may end up having trouble walking and be unable to even get a shoe on. Do not wear flip flops, sandals or any open shoe in deer fly country.

For some people deer fly bites cause a worse reaction than bumble bee stings with pain, fever and extended swelling that can last for several days.

Deer flies can often be noticed by their rather loud buzzing, but they will also sneak up on the ground or along boat floors from behind their prey target.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by no1son View Post
    For some people deer fly bites cause a worse reaction than bumble bee stings with pain, fever and extended swelling that can last for several days.
    I would be one of "them," and getting bit once or twice on the same ankle can make a week-long fishing trip...well, miserable.

Good luck finding Smallies mdturtle!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	280017_2094080759362_1465606356_32326280_1937082_o.jpg 
Views:	1643 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	92215

Post Thanks / Like

thank you to everyone for the info!!! i have purchased some 100% deet!!!!! lololol.....on what little i can find...sounds like i've missed the good bass fishing up shallow....that is an awesome pic IMFSHN!!!!! i hope i can get one that big!!! thanks again and if i can help anyone with illinois fishing let me know!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Can assure you that 100% will work almost 100% of the time....though if you venture out at sundown, the mosquitoes become suicidal, and still attack. That said, 100% is not safe.... not for you, nor your equipment nor your clothing. It especially dangerous for young people. I speak from experience.
    Spent many years flying and driving to various spots in Canada and the Northwest Territories. After the first few, my doctor urged me to stop using 100%, Shortly after it was banned in this country. Think the highest you can get now is around 30%, with 10% being the most common... It is a real danger.

Post Thanks / Like

Does a Thermacell keep away anything but Mosquitoes? Only ever had limited exposure to one but was impressed with it at the time.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If the wind isnt blowing you cannot beat a thermacell for mosquitoes but I'm not sure about other bugs.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, have no experience with thermacell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast