Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What am I missing here???

silverside is online now Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What am I missing here???

I keep reading posts about pvc will not show up on a depthfinder. This confuses me and here's why. The object of the attractor is to attract the fish to it so you can fish there. All depthfinders show fish. If you run over a herd of fish, that should be your attractor. If you don't see fish anywhere, why would you want to stop and fish anyway. If the herd of fish showing on the depthfinder is not on your attractor, then hey, it's still fish. Start fish'in. The depthfinder should show the result of attractor, if not the attractor itself. Now, please tell me if I am off base here.

Post Thanks / Like

Your on base, if you have a good depth finder. I really don't trust mine to do much more than tell depth and bottom contour. If you have good equipment, what you said would work.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I don't know if I've got a good one or not but fish hovering around anything sure lights up like a christmas tree on Times Square. I don't know if you will remember them but I have a Hummingbird 4 ID that I bought about 12-15 yrs ago. It has the red pixels that show fish. Anything attached to the bottom is black pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

The fish will show up on the finder. Unlike wood, the pvc is left hollow and fills with water. If you sink a pvc attractor and then drive over it, the attractor will not show up. If you drive over a tree or log or wood, the structure will show. The whole idea is to have a herd of fish and not "see" or snag the structure. When you jig inwood, you will loose jigs. If you jig pvc, the hook will slide over the pvc- not as many lost jigs.
    As far as finding a herd of fish, not always will the fish herd be biting, where as fish in structure are "hiding" to ambush a food source.
    Hope this kind of explains it.

Post Thanks / Like

funny thing is, when I placed out a set of condo's I would do so around a buoy marker, once they were all out I would come back over them and BOOM they show up everytime...100% PVC...Using a Fishmark 320...they seem to show up for me, but you can mix in a little boo to make it easier to pick-up and more natural quicker...

Post Thanks / Like

KMB...thanks, that does explain it better. I was looking at it from the point of being able to find your own condo. If you know "about" where it is, look for the fish and that should be it even though you can not see it. I didn't think about the "other guy" who happens to come along.