Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Matzuo sickle hooks...who here uses these hooks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Matzuo sickle hooks...who here uses these hooks?

or something similar in design? I'm already falling in love with these things. They seem to hook the roof of the mouth more frequently than a standard aberdeen hook, and once you hook a fish with them, they can't throw it. Yeah it still happens, but not nearly as often as with a standard hook. Last weekend my wife and I were casting about as far as we could and hooking fish a long ways from the boat. Having to retrieve that far away used to make me cringe because I would frequently lose fish, but it doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. Needless to say I am hooked (pun intended).

How has your experiences been with them? We caught several large crappie biggest was 13 1/2" and swung every one of them in the boat without a net.

Anybody interested in trying them and make your own jigheads we found ours dirt cheap at grandpabobscustomjigs.com $18.50 plus $5.35 shipping for 1000. You can order them in smaller quantities as well. If anybody finds them cheaper let me know!

Post Thanks / Like

I use them exclusively.I wont ever use another aberdeen hook.They are thin enough to straighten when hung in the brush and just bend back and i swing fish with them all the time on Truman.90% of your hook sets will be in the roof of the mouth and they are sharp as heck.That price is dirt cheap i will have to look at thier site.
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a couple of hundred jig heads with the sickle hooks from bugman a few months ago and agree 100% with you.........I won't fish without them now. You cannot hardly lose a fish even if you tried, and you are right they do seem to hook in the roof of the mouth more than other hooks. And sharp.....holy smokes, I come home with my hand full of holes every time out. Love em........in fact, it is about time to order another batch......haven't seen bugman much lately, but I assume he still sells them. He makes a heck of a jighead too, for anyone thats in need of some.
    We do not want the gift of a fish; neither do we expect a lesson on fishing; what we direly need is a chance to fish

Post Thanks / Like

The only knock on them I've heard, is that there isn't much of a barb

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice design hooks. Use them all the time.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Shorty's hooks or Capt. Hooks would be the place to get them. They all go through their doors at sometime as they sell to everyone else who is reselling. That is all I use anymore also. Very sharp and does seem to hook more times than not in the rooof of the fishes mouth. Check out Illbejigged.com for hooks or jig head needs also. Joel fishes all our CDC tournaments on Truman and can hook you up with whatever you need.

Post Thanks / Like

I have quite a few customers that like the sickle hook, but there are still a few that like the ole aberdeen. Personally I like to tie my own jigs with the sickle. The only problem I've found is with the larger hooks is when you get hung up and try to free it they break at the sharpest bend. Other than that no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post
    The only knock on them I've heard, is that there isn't much of a barb
    your right. there isn't much of a barb. and i am starting to consider that a good thing. why? because when you do occasionally hook them in the soft spot of the mouth, it doesn't seem to tear as much as with the aberdeen hook. that has me thinking it may be due to the larger barb? either way i do know fish just do not fall off of them. this is advertisement, but they say the design of the hook with the sharp bend keeps the fish from shaking the hook, so a large barb is not needed. all i can say is buy a pack give them a try and i'd bet a shiny new nickel you won't ever go back. we have probably nearly 1000 hooks of the old style that we are going to be giving away because we no longer have a use for them. (already spoken for)

i have heard they will sometimes break at the bend because they are so much stronger than a standard hook and don't flex as much, but that has not happened to me...yet. i'm sure it will, but that is a small price to pay for such a quality hook. I'm sure if they were weaker like a standard hook it wouldn't be an issue. i use 10lb powerpro braid, so one hook will usually last me several fishing trips regardless of the design.

be careful though. like everyone else was saying, these things are crazy sharp. and for some reason they just love to grab you fingers and not let go!